Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Lockout 2
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous  1  [2]  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lockout 2
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Like I said, the tin can goes into a trash compactor after we all take target practice on him.

No new posts 29-07-2013 22:14 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

It's amazing what goes on when I leave town.... Flush

No new posts 29-07-2013 23:20 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Welcome back, TJ!

No new posts 30-07-2013 01:03 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Yep, I can see what a welcome it is... Wink

No new posts 30-07-2013 01:53 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Well, here's the next installment!

==========

Mark again stood outside the door of Chief Anderson’s office. He’d lost track how much time had passed since he fired on Gatchamania’s temporary base. He’d gotten out of Bird Style and tried to rest as the chief had ordered. But he couldn’t get his mind to settle.

For the love of God, Jason, at least tell me why you fired on us!

Each time he heard EW’s plea in his mind, the static lessened, until it was as crisp and clear as though she was right beside him. Did anybody tell her that Jason wasn’t the one who fired the missiles?

He took a couple of slow, deep breaths and opened the door.

ElectricWhite sat by a window, watching the fish slowly swim by. Mark gawked for just a second at her reflection – what wasn’t bruised was pale. She wore pale blue pajamas, and she sat in one of the wheelchairs the chief had in storage at Center Neptune just for her; it seemed that, the more contact she had with G-Force, the more wheelchairs were destroyed.

She turned to face him as he stepped into the room. He hesitated a moment and then drew closer.

“How are you doing?” he asked in a quieter than usual tone.

“Okay,” she replied, “all things considered.” She tried to meet his gaze, but he cast his eyes to the floor.

An uncomfortable silence.

“Um,” EW finally said, “you mind telling me what’s going on? I only know what I saw, and nobody’s willing to fill in the details.”

“Um, sure.” Mark replied. He moved over to the couch and sat on the end closest to EW; he stayed as far on the edge of the cushion as he could without falling off. “A total of 32 were hurt.” he said, keeping his eyes on a spot on the floor at EW’s feet, “You and the five most seriously hurt were brought here, and the rest went to a facility in Center City. Most of them have already been released.”

She seemed a little relieved at hearing that. But that disappeared as she asked, “What about Amethyst?”

“She made it through surgery all right.” Mark answered, “The doctors think she’ll be okay.”

“Good.” her voice became a whisper, “I’d be in a lot worse shape if she hadn’t...” she let out a shuddering sob. She covered her eyes with a hand. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay.” he replied in a gentle tone, “You’ve been through a lot.”

She recovered her composure after a couple of minutes. “So,” she finally made herself say, “how’s Jason? I know he was just doing his job –”

“Yes, he was.” What came next just sprang forth without hesitation. “And I ignored him when he told me there was something wrong with the orders and I fired the missiles.”

She looked like he’d just backhanded her.

He took it as a signal to continue. “We were told it was a Spectran base. I refused to believe anything else until we received your transmission.”

“And...the chief gave you this order?”

“It came from Zark, so we just assumed – ”

She dropped her eyes to the floor; there was something that bothered her, but she couldn’t figure out what it was.

Mark blinked a couple of times as he tried to read her expression. Did he tell her too much? Did he accidentally push her over the edge?

EW looked up and met his gaze. Did he want something for her? Was he waiting for her to absolve him?

“I’m sorry, Mark,” she finally said, “I need some time.”

==========

To be continued..........

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 30-07-2013 at 23:05.
No new posts 30-07-2013 23:04 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Good on Mark for being honest at least, not that makes everything all right again.

I wonder, have Spectra managed to reprogram Zark somehow? Thinking

No new posts 30-07-2013 23:11 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes, it was honorable of him to accept the heat he deserved.

As for Zark - is Jason about to take a sledgehammer to him?

No new posts 30-07-2013 23:41 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Good questions! I can't wait to find out myself! Inverted1

No new posts 31-07-2013 01:39 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Spooked

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 31-07-2013 18:47 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Awww Cep, happy to see you are alive and well!!

No new posts 31-07-2013 18:54 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Or is he? How do we know that wasn't an imposter? Uhoh2

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 31-07-2013 at 19:41.
No new posts 31-07-2013 19:40 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

And the story continues!

==========

An electronic chirp came from Mark’s bracelet.

“Ears on.”

“Mark,” Zark’s voice was artificially calm. “I need you to come to my control room.”

“I’ll be there shortly.”

“And please bring ElectricWhite with you.”

It didn’t seem possible, yet she became even paler. Mark shot her a questioning look. She nodded.

“We’ll be there in a few minutes.” Mark replied.

“Oh good! I’ll see you both!” With that, the call ended.

EW wheeled herself over to Mark. She covered his wrist communicator with her hand before whispering, “Is there any way we can let somebody know without tipping Zark off?”

Mark thought a moment and then nodded.

“Then let’s go.” EW said, “We don’t want Zark to wait too long!”

After a brief detour, Mark transmuted and pushed EW’s wheelchair toward the control room. As they rode in the elevator, EW tried to think of what it was that was bothering her. She knew it was important – if not vital – but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it. At best, she barely brushed it with her fingertips.

The elevator came to a stop and the doors opened with a slight hiss.

“Ah, Commander, EW,” Zark said with an unnaturally cheerful tone,”I’m so glad you’re here! Please come in!”

The Eagle and the Gatchamaniac exchanged uneasy looks before entering the room.

“So,” Mark said, sounding as if nothing was off, “what’s up, Zark?”

“Well, Commander,” Zark replied in a tone EW hadn’t heard before – a deathly serious tone, “I’m very disappointed that you failed to complete your mission.”

“But, Zark,” Mark replied, “that wasn’t a Spectran base –”

“I know.”

EW looked around the control room. What if a fight broke out?

She figured the most she could do was roll a little one way or another...or get in Mark’s way.

That’s probably why Zark wanted her there. Damn.

“You mean you wanted us to kill innocent civilians?!”

“The Omega Protocol must be completed, Commander.”

“What’s this ‘Omega Protocol’?” Mark’s voice raised in pitch and volume, “Do you think it’s some sort of law?”

Something clicked in EW’s mind. “Zark,” she said with a voice full of authority instead of the fear gripping her chest, “what are Asimov’s Laws of Robotics?”

“What?!” Mark hissed at her.

“Well, that’s an unusual request for this time!” Zark said, “But they say we live in unusual times!” The robot let out a giggle. “Very well.”

The robot made a sound like he was clearing his throat. “The First Law states: A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being come to harm.”

“Aha!” EW cried, “By following the Omega Protocol, you’re in violation of the First Law! Look at me – I’m proof of that!”

“Oh!” Mark gasped, “I get it now!”

“Oh no.” Zark answered, “I didn’t inflict those injuries on you.”

“But you ordered G-Force to do it!” Mark proclaimed, “That conscious action caused humans to come to harm!”

“Oh my.” Zark gasped. “One moment...processing...processing...” He seemed to become oblivious to everything around him.

“How did you come up with that?” Mark asked in a hushed tone.

“I was a big sci fi nerd as a kid – I always had a science fiction book with me.”

Zark’s arms dropped to his sides and his antennae drooped.

“Did he shut down?” EW asked.

“I think so.”

==========

No new posts 31-07-2013 21:55 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Awesome, EW! Truly awesome!Bowdown

No new posts 01-08-2013 03:10 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Aw, shucks, thanks DT!

And now, back to the story!

==========

Zark remained motionless and silent. But then the antennae returned to their normal position, and his arms raised slightly.

“He’s rebooting.” Mark explained.

“Is that a good thing?”

“I don’t know.”

“The Omega Protocol of Gatchamania.com overrides the Laws of Robotics!” Zark proclaimed. Faster than EW could see, he pulled out his sonic boomerang and let it fly. Mark snatched it from the air before it could hit her face.

However, the Eagle couldn’t stop the small sonic boom the weapon produced. EW’s head snapped back, and she let out a small cry as the concussion hit her face. For a moment she could have sworn the already bruised skin had split open – the pain was fierce.

Mark sent Zark’s boomerang back and flung his own. The robot effortlessly plucked them both out of the air.

“Tsk! Tsk! Now, Commander, you honestly didn’t expect to harm me with a weapon I designed, did you?” He then twirled them before stowing them in a small compartment in his body.

Mark tensed, preparing for another attack.

A series of electronic tones filled the room. “Oh!” Zark cried, “I have to answer that! Please excuse me.” He turned and made his way to the main console.

“Did he just stop the fight to answer the phone?” EW asked, still a bit dazed.

“Yeah.” Mark replied, a bit befuddled himself, “I don’t know if I should be relieved or insulted.”

“Center Neptune Control, 7-Zark-7!....I have received your request....I’m sorry, access is denied.”

Both Mark and EW were slightly slack-jawed as they watched – this wasn’t anything like what they expected. Also, something Zark said bothered her, but, again, she couldn’t figure out what it was. The frustration of her mind being so muddled, in addition to the pain and stress of the past few hours, had her to the point of almost breaking down and sobbing uncontrollably.

“Yes, that is the correct code.” Zark continued, “But I know you couldn’t possibly be who you claim. Therefore, access is denied!” He paused, as if he was listening. “I’m not interested in the story you are clearly fabricating in order to convince me to wrongly grant you access!” he proclaimed, “I am terminating this –”

Zark suddenly stopped and let out a buzz. Electricity arced between his antennae – he looked like a piece of equipment in a mad scientist’s lab. He rolled back a bit and then leaned forward a little. Smoke began wafting from several joints.

Chief Anderson stepped into the room, carrying what looked like an oversized Tazer.

“Glad you’re here, Chief!” Mark declared as soon as he saw Anderson.

“When you told me Zark had summoned you,” the chief explained, “I decided to get a weapon and get up here.”

“Good thing, too.” EW said, “We were in some serious trouble – he’d decided to disregard the Laws of Robotics in favor of the Omega Protocol. Mark might have been able to get away, but I was sure I was a goner!”

“I’m just glad you disabled him before things got really ugly, Chief!” Mark declared.

“But I didn’t.” Anderson said, “The electricity was arcing between Zark’s antennae when the door opened to let me in.”

“Then what the –?” EW muttered as the threesome sent a wary look toward the smouldering robot.

==========

No new posts 01-08-2013 21:23 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Aaaaah.... Beach, free wifi and a new chapter in the story! After being locked out of Gatchamania yesterday, this is bliss! Smile

No new posts 04-08-2013 08:35 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

OT but Is everyone having problems? I know the host had trouble last week. And yes whilst super busy, I am still alive Flashing

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 04-08-2013 10:10 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

Huggles and all is right with the world

No new posts 04-08-2013 11:46 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

ITA LW, it's certainly great to have the site up and running again....

Sadly though, I don't think it's the last we'll be seeing of these lockouts somehow

No new posts 04-08-2013 12:14 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm glad the site's back up, Big Grin but I wish part of the story hadn't been ruined! Angryfire

Oh well. Here's the next part:

==========

The commander of G-Force cautiously approached the smoking metal carcass. Chief Anderson positioned himself between Zark and ElectricWhite, his weapon ready.

After examining Zark for a few moments, Mark gripped the ‘bot and rolled him away from the console. “It looks like he’s out of action.”

The chief went over and took a quick glance at the monitors and instruments. He set down his weapon and began pressing buttons. The four monitors above the main control panel fused into one giant, white screen with a cursor blinking in the upper left corner.

Anderson pressed a couple more buttons. “This is Security Chief Anderson at Center Neptune Control”

The response appeared on the screen:

Good to hear your voice! I hope you can explain what’s been going on!

EW’s heart swelled as she read the monitor. A small part of her urged her to throw herself onto the control panel so she could nuzzle the monitor. But she kept her cool – in spite of going through an incredibly rough time in a very short time, she wasn’t going to get silly with relief.

I left for just a little bit, and when I got back, Gatchamania.net’s main site was under a force field, and the Temp Base looked like it’d been caught in a war!

“Zark lost track of you, assumed you were dead, and initiated the Omega Protocol.” EW said.

Omega Protocol? What’s that?

“We were hoping you could tell us.” the chief said.

“Whatever it is,” EW said, “Zark seemed willing to kill to make sure it was carried out.”

“Yeah,” Mark jumped in, “when EW told him he was violating the Laws of Robotics, he said, ‘The Omega Protocol of Gatchamania.com overrides the Laws of Robotics!’”

Something in EW’s mind clicked, “Wait a minute, Mark – did he actually say ‘Gatchamania.com’?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“We’re Gatchamania.net.”

“So he was going to kill you over some other site’s sick protocol.”

“I guess so....though I don’t think there actually is a Gatchamania.com, if there ever was one.”

She looked to the monitor for some information on this topic. Instead, she felt a sickening heaviness come through the transmission as this appeared on the screen:

So the Temp Base –?

“Was hit by a couple of missiles, yes.” Chief Anderson replied, quickly signaling Mark to keep quiet, “There were a number of casualties, but no deaths.” Thankfully, Mark got the message – now wasn’t the time for another session of self-flagellation!

EW got a sense of a slight – but not complete – relief at the other end of the line.

“It looks like the technicians at Quantum Tobor will be picking through Zark piece by tiny piece to see what went wrong.” Anderson said. “That is,” he cast a look over to the last whisps of smoke wafting up from where the antennae were attached to the head, “if there’s anything that can be salvaged....”

Sorry about that! It was the first thing that came to mind when I discovered Zark wasn’t going to be reasonable.

“No need to apologize.” the chief replied, “You just may have saved the day for us.”

“There’s just one more thing.” EW said, “Cep, where in th’ heck have you been?”

Oh, I went to Jamaica. The main site’s rum reserves were critically low.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 04-08-2013 at 12:35.
No new posts 04-08-2013 12:34 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

==========

And, finally...

==========

EPILOGUE

It was Jason’s turn to make the rounds at Gatchamania.net’s main site. He didn’t bother to be in Bird Style here – it was just a matter on seeing the repairs being made and how well the injured were healing. The place was one big good mood without being sappy.

But he had one last person to see.

He cast his eyes around the main courtyard, unsure of where to go. He spotted KT1972 and took a few steps toward her. She saw him and waved.

“Can you tell me where –?” he started to ask.

“She’s in the Rant Room, of course!”

He waved his thanks and started off in that direction.

The Rant Room was actually a building wing full of small suites where Gatchamaniacs go to vent their emotions. As soon as he stepped through the Rant Room’s main entrance, he transmuted – just in case.

He looked at the digital display beside each door telling who – if anybody – was in the room. Finally, he came upon the suite he was after.

“This is driving me nuts!” he heard her cry through the door. “I can’t stand all the itching!”

“I know.” he heard the medic from Center Neptune, “But you’re healing up very well. Thanks to the accelerators, you only have a couple of weeks to go instead of a few months.”

“Yeah, I know.” she sighed. “I’m just sick of everything – the itching, the aches, the wheelchair –”

Jason chose that moment to burst in. “Can’t you do anything beside bitch, Amethyst?”

“It looks like I’m doing more than you.”

Amethyst sat in a wheelchair while Center Neptune’s medic knelt before her, unrolling a bandage while winding it up a leg. The medic finished bandaging Amethyst’s left leg. “You know the routine –” he said to her, “if it swells, turns red, or has any unusual pain –”

“Notify you immediately.” she recited from rote.

Meanwhile, Jason palmed a couple of foil packets from the medic’s bag.

The medic bagged up the old bandages, gathered his equipment, stood up and left with a, “See you in a couple of days.”

The medic was barely out the door when Amethyst leaned forward and began tapping the sides of her calves.

“What the hell – ?” Jason asked with a chuckle.

“This is what they told me to do when the skin under the bandages itches.” she replied. “I don’t know why I bother – it’s doing nothing!”

Jason had slipped around behind her. “I’m going to lift your shirt up a little.”

She nodded her consent, though there was no doubt she would consent for the Condor. She felt a gloved hand under her blouse. It seemed as if he was using his fingers to measure distances from her spine. Then the smell of rubbing alcohol stung her nose.

“Ow!” she cried as something sharp poked her in the back. “Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow – oh!”

“What?”

“The itching – it’s totally gone!”

“That should hold you for a few hours.”

Jason returned her shirt to its normal position and came back around to her front. He ripped open a foil packet , pulled out a small cotton square, and wiped the tip of a feather shiruken.

“Hey,” Amethyst cried, “Aren’t those poisonous?”

“This one isn’t.” He tossed the foil packet and cotton square in a nearby wastepaper basket. Then he put the shiruken tip in his mouth. He grimaced and pulled it out of his mouth – rubbing alcohol isn’t known for tasting good.

“Thanks.” she said to him, “This is great. But what should I do when it wears off?”

Jason let out a snorting chuckle. “Just do what you always do – ride it out and move on! This isn’t your first – or worst – crisis ever.”

==========

fin

No new posts 04-08-2013 13:24 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): « previous  1  [2]  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: