Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Gatchaman Crowds Chief Writer Talking About the Characters
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Crowds Chief Writer Talking About the Characters
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Gatchaman Crowds Chief Writer Talking About the Characters Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

Like the July issues of Animage and New Type I wrote about last week, the July issue of the Japanese anime magazine Animedia also had a article on Gatchaman Crowds. In fact, it had a nice 2-page spread for the show, which featured a nice piece of artwork created specifically for the magazine. Here is a picture of these two pages:

The majority of the text in the article was made up of comments about the characters in the series by Toshiya Ono, the man in charge of the Series Composition and its head writer. Figuring that people here would be interested in what he had to say, here's what the article says:

How do you wrap it up?

It's a greedy production filled with battle and youth and growth and fighting spirit!!

Look, and we will unveil the new Gatchaman. Gatchaman, the hero who will defeat the aliens and the unknown MESS that would harm the people of Earth. While holding the notebook-like NOTE in one hand, the cry of "Bird Go!" will transform the special suits of the allies of justice. With this image, everyone must feel good inside.

"That's not quite right," says Series Composition and Scriptwriter Toshiya Ono, "I think it's due to O.D that is looks that way now. He is the most mature, probably because he has the best understanding of both genders. Paiman is the self-proclaimed leader, drinking beer and wearing black momohiki, just like some old man...... (Laughs) There are many individual players among the members who each possess their own special abilities, so basically, they are coming apart."
(Note: Momohiki are a traditional style tight fitting trousers that is stereotypically worn by older men)

So, many of them are not motivated!? I suspect that Hajime's vitality will be divided up among this "interesting" group.

"In several ways, since modern people expect shortcoming and troubles to occur somewhere. For example, if Utsu-tsu is not having a good day, she'll disappear in a puff. And although Joe is one of the elite, he somehow lacks self confidence. Hajime is a foreign object entering into this group, causing a chemical reaction to occur. They will grow, both in their pride in being Gatchaman and in their youth, coming together as a team in their fighting spirit. Of course, there's also the battle with aliens, so this production cannot be easily divided into genres. You will see it change rapidly from the start, and the final point where you're taken will be quite unexpected...... I want you to enjoy the excitement of not knowing where it's heading."

Okay! In order to enjoy it all, leave it to the unknown destination of the "Crowds" train!

The article also included small captions for each of the main characters. These consisted of the same information we've already seen in the past, just rewritten slightly. But they did include a few longer captions with comments by Mr. Ono on J.J. Robinson, Rui Ninomiya, and Berg Katze. These captions are as follows, with Mr. Ono's comments in quotes and the rest coming from the writer for Animedia.

Regarding J.J. Robinson;

Who oversees Gatchaman?

A huge alien who is 3 meters tall.

Gatchaman is overseen by the alien J.J.. He is the one who sends out the Gatchaman. After he has deciphered the poem-like "Predictions" to determine the location of the enemy, he dispatches them.

"All of the members are not sent on each mission, and the size of the threat determines who will go. Serious Sugane will jump up, and Paiman says, 'Go!' (Laughs) Even when there's no emergency, that doesn't mean that there isn't a fire in everyone's heart."

Regarding Rui Ninomiya;

Is she another ally of Justice?

Rui might be so.

Wanting to improve the world with a hand that is different than that of Gatchaman, Rui has now further evolved Facebook and Twitter by developing the SNS "Galax." To people who interact on the internet, she is the super genius who created such systems to let them help each other in the real world!

"Rui is not satisfied with a world that does not easily change, and her aim is a world where people will help each other even if there is no reward or return. A new type of human that will change the world... Along with Hajime, Rui appears to be one of them."

Regarding Berg Katze;

Is he an ally of the enemy or evil? The self proclaimed "Alien" appears!

"He's an evil ally who supports criminals like the air around them. Katse is a symbol of the bad air produced by people. Therefore, can I simply call him an enemy? This is what I worry about when I'm writing the scripts. In this modern era, we can see all sorts of malicious people over the net, acting like a faceless enemy. But, on the other end, we see that the enemy is just another human, so there is probably a solution...... The world of this production is hard work, but I hop that a little of this message will come through."

I hope you've found this look into Mr. Ono's views of the characters interesting!

James

No new posts 24-06-2013 00:42 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Why am I so underawed?

No new posts 24-06-2013 08:47 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thanks so much for sharing this article, James. I must have missed it before, but is OD like Katse...both genders? Of course, the article does refer to OD as "he"....but they often did that for Katse, too...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 24-06-2013 at 16:07.
No new posts 24-06-2013 16:01 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Originally posted by Springie
I must have missed it before, but is OD like Katse...both genders? Of course, the article does refer to OD as "he"....but they often did that for Katse, too...

As noted by Director Kenji Nakamura in his interview that I posted last week, O.D is a transvestite.

Japanese is, in general, a fairly gender neutral language. Uses of "he" or "she" come about in the translation, not from the Japanese sources themselves. No gender for Berg Katze has been disclosed, but since the character is being voiced by a man, I've been using "he" and "him." But I won't deny the possibility that they plan to pull a Gel Sadra on us.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 24-06-2013 at 18:06.
No new posts 24-06-2013 17:28 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Ok, yeah I missed that...LOL...thanks, James! Even in English, it's tough to know whether to call a transvestite a "he" or a "she"...

I am laughing at your phrase "pull a Gel Sadra"! I wouldn't put it past them, either!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 24-06-2013 at 18:09.
No new posts 24-06-2013 18:08 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

It's not bad enough they're ruining the name Gatchaman, but they added a transvestite, too? I'm speechless.

No new posts 24-06-2013 22:38 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
It's not bad enough they're ruining the name Gatchaman, but they added a transvestite, too? I'm speechless.

I wonder if they are misusing the word transvestite because there really is no proper word for the dual gender that Katse was in the original. While transgender might be closest, that really doesn't fit nor does hermaphrodite. Katse was a person who could switch gender that doesn't really equate to any words that we have in English.

No new posts 25-06-2013 05:52 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

That's true, but this is still doing Gatchaman a big disservice in my opinion. They have that alien version of a Pokémon, too. *shudder*

No new posts 25-06-2013 23:35 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Hmm, I'm prepared to give it a chance to be a good anime, albeit one that has very little in common with the original Gatchaman series. But to me, it's going to have to stand or fall on its own merits (or lack thereof) and not coast on fan loyalty to the original Gatchaman. And I won't really know what I think until I've seen the stories (per episode and series-long), and the characters' behaviour and interactions.

Granted, it could be quite a while before it's available with English subtitles. I'll be curious to hear how popular it becomes in Japan -that will probably be very telling.

No new posts 26-06-2013 03:36 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

Yes, I can just see Joe as a Civil servant.

What does that say about the modern world?

No new posts 26-06-2013 08:42 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Victoria Victoria is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-10-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88

Granted, it could be quite a while before it's available with English subtitles.

Nowadays? Anything from 6 to 48hrs after episode airing in Japan, depending on the fansub group. With the names attached to it (esp. Kenji Nakamura, the director), I think there will be at least two groups picking this series up.

My fanart is here

No new posts 26-06-2013 18:34 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Interesting -how do these fansub groups work? I don't think I'd want to deal with BitTorrent (potential malware, copyright issues, etc.) to see a subtitled episode, but if they simply post a script-style translation of an episode's dialogue, that would be something to get an idea of what the series is like.

No new posts 06-07-2013 02:47 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Most fansub groups do torrents only, but some release direct downloads as well, it all depends on the group in question. Also, quite a few have been around for years, so their releases are assured to be spy/malware & virus-free. The single one time I got a virus was when I downloaded a game from a publisher I didn't know. The torrents of all those 100+ anime series on my external drive have all been clean. As for the copyright issues, I'm no expert in this field, but IMO when it comes to anime the danger of recieving a loveletter from FBI is much lower than in the case of movies.

Also, one of the best things about fansub groups is their speed. This season I'm watching five other series beside Gatchaman (all of which have already aired. What takes Tatsunoko so long?) and I've downloaded all of their subtitled first episodes on the same day they've aired in Japan. No waiting for when/if someone decides to purchase their licences or anything.

My fanart is here

No new posts 06-07-2013 19:28 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I haven't seen any direct downloads so far, but torrents of the subbed first episode are out on http://horriblesubs.info/ in three quality options - 480p, 720p and 1080p. I'll keep an eye out for ddl as well though and will post (if no one does before me).

My fanart is here

No new posts 12-07-2013 19:56 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: