Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Looking For Classic-Style Tatsunoko Heroes?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Looking For Classic-Style Tatsunoko Heroes?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Looking For Classic-Style Tatsunoko Heroes? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

From what I've gathered, many of you aren't exactly thrilled by what we've seen so far from Gatchaman Crowds. Admittedly, from what little regarding the series that has been released thus far, it does appear that they will be taking things in their own unique direction.

However, if you're craving a chance to watch something that is closer to the look and style of the original Gatchaman, it might interest you to know that several of Tatsunoko's classic hero series are available for viewing online, complete with English subtitles! These are series that utilized many of the same creative staff as Gatchaman, and were created either during or within a few years after Gatchaman's original 1972~74 run.

On the commercial venture side of things, Anime Sols is releasing episodes of Tatsunoko's 1975 series, Tekkaman, the Space Knight. At this point, they have made the first 8 episodes available for viewing, and can be found here:

http://www.animesols.com/

They are also offering episodes of both the 1977 and 2008 versions of the Tatsunoko comedy Yatterman, if you are in the mood for classic Tatsunoko humor. Anime Sols is involved in crowdfunding efforts to eventually get the various programs they are offering released on home video. I wish them the best of luck!

On the fansub side, the Skaro Hunting Society has been working on subtitling the 1973 series Casshan. At this point, they have released 13 episodes of the series.

http://skarohuntingsociety.blogspot.com/search/label/Casshan

This series was much different from (And in my opinion, vastly superior to) the 2008 series Casshern Sins, which utilized the basic designs of a few of the characters from the original series, the notion of having Casshan fighting robots, and pretty much nothing else. If you watched and enjoyed Casshern Sins, then you owe it to yourself to check out the original to see where it all began. If you watched and disliked Casshern Sins, don't let that stop you from watching the original, because they are nothing alike.

The Skaro Hunting Society has also been releasing episodes of Mach GoGoGo, the 1967 Tatsunoko series that came here as Speed Racer, which you may also enjoy checking out.

And, lastly, Luurah Productions has recently begun releasing fansubbed episodes of the 1974 series Hurricane Polymar. Polymar is an odd mix of comedy and drama, with plenty of action thrown into the mix. This was the series that most of the main staff from Gatchaman moved onto after Gatchaman ended its run. As a result, it is the Tatsunoko hero series that is the closest to Gatchaman in visual style. At this point, Luurah has released the first three episodes of the series, which can be found here:

http://luurah.blogspot.com/search/label/Hurricane%20Polymar

So, if you're in the mood for the classic Tatsunoko-style heroics, here's your chance to check them out!

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 14-06-2013 at 18:34.
No new posts 10-06-2013 20:43 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thanks James, at least we can drown our sorrows in some old school Tatsunoko, now! I'll definitely check it out!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 10-06-2013 21:04 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thanks for all of those links, James!

No new posts 11-06-2013 01:28 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Thanks, James. Smile I just wanted to say that no matter how much I whine about what they're doing, I greatly appreciate your efforts in keeping us informed! It's a pretty thankless task at times, I'm sure.

No new posts 11-06-2013 03:30 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

Thanks a million

Have you let Tatsunoko know what you think of Gatchaman crowds yet?

No new posts 11-06-2013 21:30 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: