Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Winter Storm names
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Winter Storm names
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Winter Storm names Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

This year, the Weather Channel decided to name the notable winter storms that trek across America. I'm okay with that -- if a storm's mean and nasty enough to cause concern from one end of the continent to the other, then it deserves some sort of special designation. What bothers me is the quality of name the Weather Channel is using. For instance, right now we're dealing with Euclid.

Euclid?

And some of the names farther down on their list aren't much better. Here's a sample:

Orko (How many years has the He-Man cartoons been off the air?)

Q (Obviously a Trekker was involved here.)

Ukko (huh?????)

AND (brace yourself) Walda (Guess they thought this would avoid any lame "Where's Waldo?" jokes.)

If the folks at the Weather Channel are serious about getting people to get into naming a winter storm, shouldn't they at least choose a name that won't get it beat up on the playground?

No new posts 26-12-2012 01:26 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I suspect like with Hurricanes and tropical storms the weather people are trying to go with less common names. That way all those Linda's, George's and Jose's who really do exist do not become "associated" with a bad "killer" winter storm.

No new posts 26-12-2012 01:47 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

"Euclid," is the sound you make as you begin slipping on the ice, I guess.

No new posts 26-12-2012 14:42 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Laugh2

It's certainly snowing lots in Indy today! Thankfully, I don't have to drive anywhere at all today (I work remotely from home 3 days a week, and this happens to be one of them). Even my gym sent around an email that they've decided to stay closed today. This weather will probably cramp the style of anyone who wanted to get a jump on post-xmas bargains in the stores too.

No new posts 26-12-2012 15:36 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I haven't heard about this! Makes me glad I don't live in a place where it snows...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 26-12-2012 at 17:23.
No new posts 26-12-2012 17:23 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
I haven't heard about this! Makes me glad I don't live in a place where it snows...

Me, too! In fact if we ever leave California, it will be for Nevada (Las Vegas area), Arizona (lower Flagstaff area, so we might get flurries there) or Texas (most likely San Antonio area). But that's all just talk and is at least 5 years away if not closer to 10 or 20, if it happens at all.

No new posts 26-12-2012 20:41 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Maybe they'll want to name them Lion-O or Splinter... LOL

Seriously they really do need to come up with some better names

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 29-12-2012 20:15 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: