Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » Transformers, 2007 movie
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Transformers, 2007 movie
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer
Transformers, 2007 movie Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Gotta love camp week! Hubby took time off and we saw it.

9 year old son is an absolute fan of Transformers, and has been for at least three years. We had to tape the series for him and everything. Even got him the 1980's movie with Leonard Nimoy. (Nimoy did a great job, too bad he didn't think enough of the genre to be proud of it.)

Unfortunately, it's definitely AA, and he's not going to see it for a few years. Much too violent, and it was a bit too spooky at times. Give him another two or three years, though, and I'd take him, no problem.

Anyhoo, the new movie rocks! I've no clue how the serious fans will like it (You gotta remember this plot point! And you got his character all wrong!),
but it work well as a stand-alone and has some fun with references to earlier series. (Although I did miss Arcee.)

spoiler alert

spoiler alert

spoiler alert

spoiler alert

spoiler alert

spoiler alert

The early human damage was all off-screen. At first I wasn't sure if they were Zarking it, but in a few minutes it became clear they just weren't focusing on it; you could fill in the details as you liked. In the big fight in the city at the end, though, we knew some of the humans weren't going to get up again. They got it right where I enjoy it; not Zark, but let me focus on the plot and action and characters, no the gore.

As to holding the big fight in a city? I think it was a good choice to show the different characters' reactions, but I don't think the plot explained it well enough.

The US Special Air Forces team do a really great job. They're fast, knowledgeable, smart, adaptable, and human. Not super-human, just very, very good at complex and demanding jobs. You don't expect human heroes (other than the untrained kid) in a fighting-robot movie, but thats what these guys are. (Nice parallel, in that the Autobots are also a team.)

First "gets you right here" line: Supervisor says, "Did you double check that copter 123 went down three months ago?" "Yes, sir, my friend was on it." Barest nod and the control room action continues.

The higher ups in the military were also smart and adaptable. The Secretary of Defense knows how to defend. Military rank means you know what needs to be done, and make sure it gets done, either by other people, or by doing it yourself. And it means asking for ideas and advice as well.

Very few of the good humans wasted time disbelieving the Autobots' story, or hassling the "little guys who know". But they didn't automatically believe it, either.

The US Super Secret guy were the exception. Right on the edge of being stupid. Like, maybe you should listen to the answers the kid gives you? And why would you build a great big plant to keep something cold, when you could leave it where it was and let Mother Nature do it for you? If your scientists didn't want to have to travel all the way to Antartica. But then why not move it to Alaska instead? (It might not be quite cold enough, but at least it would thaw slower when the power goes off.)

A couple of the civilians were a bit stereotypish, but I'll forgive that; they didn't have a lot to do with the plot.

Bumblebee's speech impediment brought a smile and flashback to the 1980s movie. As a Camero's (GM must have paid for the car promo spots) attitude to the VW Bug (in one of the old ones he was a bug) was fun.

I liked the transformation effects. At first I would have liked them to be a bit slower, so I could follow them, but there were other, slower sequences later on.

Daughter's favourite Hasbro toy line had a cameo; had to laugh at that one.

The mini con was awesome! Loved his choice of disguise; another reference to the 1980 movie.

I like the gender mix here. The women are as good looking as the men, and just as smart. Not enough women with real figures, but, hey, I had all those Special Forces guys to oggle, so I guess I won't complain.

A few plot holes. Always seem to be some. We eventually learn how the Decepticons got their information, but never learn how the Autobots did. And I think they found out which kid to protect even before the Decepticons did.

After half the city saw you land, what's the problem with the kids' parents learning about you? Other than you trust the kid and he has his reasons. (Would you want to tell your parents, "Hi, I know I barely made curfew, but say hi to my new friends. By the way, I need gggpa's glasses and don't wait up for me. Oh, and take cover." Still, it made a fun sequence.

Also, while I liked the big fight being in a city, I don't quite get what they were trying to do. Getting the cube into a military jet ain't a great idea, not when the good guys are all vehicles and the bad guys have a few planes and helicopters. Maybe I missed the explanation.

I don't know why they made the kid run through the city with the thing; wouldn't it have been faster for one of the smaller ones to grab him and run? (And how did he get to the top of the building?)

And why were the gadgets enlivened by the cube all nasty? Wild and scared and trapped, I could understand, but we both felt they were evil.

Overall, well worth seeing on the big screen.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 17-07-2007 19:46 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I got to Spoiler alert and had to stop...I was ment to go and see it on Sunday...

Speak no evil Hear no evil See no evil

No new posts 18-07-2007 11:20 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I enjoyed the Transformers, too...the effects were amazing..I am still astounded by what people can accomplish on the computer...and I really wish I had gone to school for that...what a fun job that would be!

I'm still really hoping to see a teaser for the Gatch movie...maybe this fall?

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 18-07-2007 13:25 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

In Britain we got couple of TV adverts for the latest Citreon car which did a very good impression of a Transformer.

No new posts 18-07-2007 18:35 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

Ah yes, those ads were very well done. Didn't make me want to drive one though - I'd get so travel sick when it started running.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 19-07-2007 08:05 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Where would you seat in a running Transformer Citroen anyway? Also, could you imagine the travel sickness from Zoltar and his goons in a Tranformer type mech.

No new posts 21-07-2007 10:09 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

I wrote a challenge fic where the goons did get travel sick. I think it got lost from Gatchamania during that thing where the hosting site realised they didn't know how to do backups, but it's here...
Mecha and Madmen

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 21-07-2007 10:37 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Prime gets Prostate cancer

No new posts 21-07-2007 15:38 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Here's 2 facts about the orignal Transformers TV series.

1) Casey Kasem, the voice of Mark in BOTP is a voice of an Autobot. (That's a huge surprise ain't it)

2) Scatman Crothers not only voiced one of the Autobots too but was also the voice of Honk Kong Phooey.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Metaliant on 21-07-2007 at 17:51.
No new posts 21-07-2007 17:50 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Which Trranformer are you?

I am the big bot himself, Optimus Prime.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Metaliant on 22-07-2007 at 08:02.
No new posts 22-07-2007 08:02 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: