Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Aniki or Oneechan - I'm confused
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Aniki or Oneechan - I'm confused
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer
Aniki or Oneechan - I'm confused Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hiya ... I'm pretty sure this question has been posed, but I couldn't find a thread for it.

I managed to snag me the 80's Astroboy series on DVD (YAAAAAY) ....

And I decided to watch it in Japanese - because I do love the Japanese language muchly ...

But I noticed something I don't quite follow.

Now, we know "Oneechan" means big sister, right? "Aniki" means big brother.

But Uran refers to Astro as "Oneechan" ...

Is it a gender thing? I watched the deleted scenes, and Daddy Walrus does tell Astroboy he is a very BAD Aniki ... But, as I said, Uran calls him Oneechan.

So I am wondering. Is it because she is a girl that she refers to him in that way? I know in most Asian cultures, the way you address someone is directly related to your gender and position within the family ... (Living in a Vietnamese family and being completely confused by the whole thing there has taught me that much - but the terms used are very different)

So please help me out on this one ...

Thankee ...

SJ

Oh and BTW: The Deleted scenes are a riot!! The one for "Uran's Twin" had me peeing ... It was actually the two of them singing about Uran ... LOL!

Anyway - back to work...

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 03-07-2007 13:09 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Apparently Oniichan/oniisan is masculine, whereas Oneechan/oneesan is feminine. But surely the pronunciation would be incredibly similar.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 03-07-2007 14:11 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Meridian - Have I told you lately that I love you?

Thank you for clarifying that one for me...I will now cease my chuckling that Uran thinks Astro if a girl ... LOL!

SJ

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 03-07-2007 14:37 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: