Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Things that freak me out
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Things that freak me out
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer
Shocked Things that freak me out Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I just saw this partial description for Pixar's new movie Brave:

http://pixar.wikia.com/Wisps

In it, there are apparently characters called "wisps" that are "spiritual, ethereal beings" who appear as little blue orbs of light and have the ability to change one's fate.

OK, then. I wrote this piece in January 2008 for a BotP fan fiction challenge:

http://gatchfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=757

My alien characters were called wisps who appeared as shimmering colored wisps of light (my main characters were green) and lived in the Theta Region, where they harnessed the dream energy of other sleeping beings.

How weird is that? Abduct1

I kind of hoped that someday I could go back and use the original part of my story for some original science fiction. Guess I'll have to scrap that idea now.

Detonate

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jublke on 01-05-2012 at 21:24.
No new posts 01-05-2012 21:22 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I know that feeling. However, I wouldn't write it off as a possibility. There's nothing original left under the sun, wisps have been done before, and they'll be done again. Just maybe don't put your story out too close to the movie. Smile

No new posts 01-05-2012 22:13 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Chris - I know you're right about nothing being truly original. In haiku, there's even a commonly used term for two poems that arise independently from different writers but seem the same: deja ku

Still, it feels weird. :/

P.S. Gotta hand it to you, though - Raven is pretty darn original! Smile

No new posts 01-05-2012 22:23 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks, though in digging around for all the Gatch/BOTP fanfic I could find one day, I found multiple stories where there was a Raven, or Ken became Raven, or both Ken and Joe were Ravens, or ... And in one they were crazy and wearing black. I spent a few days after that going, "Man, I hope no one thinks I read this one before writing mine."

Like I said, I totally get where you're coming from. Smile

No new posts 01-05-2012 22:28 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The nice thing about our fandom is that most folks are pretty understanding about that sort of thing. I know that I've borrowed a few quarts of Gatch spackle from my friends when I've been stuck. One of my favorite things about beta-ing for others is when I see an opportunity to throw a plot loop in and the authors take me up on it. In the best of times, it feels like we are weaving a larger universe together. Smile

No new posts 01-05-2012 22:34 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by jublke
The nice thing about our fandom is that most folks are pretty understanding about that sort of thing. I know that I've borrowed a few quarts of Gatch spackle from my friends when I've been stuck. One of my favorite things about beta-ing for others is when I see an opportunity to throw a plot loop in and the authors take me up on it. In the best of times, it feels like we are weaving a larger universe together. Smile

Indeed! I remember saying to myself, "Come on, they use bird names, and Raven is a cool bird name. What did you expect? You were so freaking original you'd be the first to realize that?" Smile

No new posts 01-05-2012 22:38 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ha! I felt that way when I named one of my OCs the Falcon. Wait, you mean I wasn't the first to think of this? Tongue

No new posts 01-05-2012 22:47 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hehehe ... btw, my little bruised ego answered that question with a tiny, "Yes."

Anyway, keep that wisp idea going. You'll make it work. Smile

No new posts 01-05-2012 22:51 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

This sort of thing happens all the time. Do you have any idea how many Gremlins there were before the 1980's movies? (I can think of two -- one from Disney and the other from a Twilight Zone episode!)

No new posts 01-05-2012 23:11 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Julie, I understand that feeling as well. In fact I get it a lot when I read other people's stories. I keep finding elements of their stories in mine, or key things in their stories that I also have in mine.

Then I, like you and Chris, have to wonder why I should continue to write/post my stories - after all it has already been written. Not that you two have said you would stop writing, but I have certainly wondered if I should.

No new posts 02-05-2012 00:06 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
Julie, I understand that feeling as well. In fact I get it a lot when I read other people's stories. I keep finding elements of their stories in mine, or key things in their stories that I also have in mine.

Then I, like you and Chris, have to wonder why I should continue to write/post my stories - after all it has already been written. Not that you two have said you would stop writing, but I have certainly wondered if I should.

I've had my moments, but in general, the important thing to remember is that an idea is just an idea. Can't be copyrighted, and it's also typically quite vague. It's the details and implementation that brings that idea to life. That's where we make things uniquely us.

At least, that's what I tell myself. Smile Don't stop writing, Cloud!

No new posts 02-05-2012 00:22 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Oh, I've definitely written fics that have the same plot/aspects as something else. But the point is, I enjoy writing them, so I'll keep doing it. That's all that matters.

No new posts 02-05-2012 01:13 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

Aw, Cloud, you've got such a unique take on your AU, how could you even think that your stories aren't original. Smile

I like to think of all of us fanfic writers standing in a circle with the Gatch universe in the center. Everyone has their own unique slice of the pie - we all see things a little differently to contribute to the whole.

Groupwave

And TJ, I know what you mean. I wrote stories in my head for this fandom long before I knew there was a name for what I was doing. breakdance But it's nice to share & have others enjoy what we write.

It always is interesting, though, to see which of our stories other people like.

No new posts 02-05-2012 01:43 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

The next time you feel this way, keep this in mind: Isaac Asimov didn't let discovering similar aspects of his story ideas in other places deter him, and he's still the world's most prolific writer, though he died in 1992!

No new posts 02-05-2012 17:20 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

At least twice, I've used titles for fics that I only realized later have already been used at the Gatch Archives -though I'm not sure if I felt better or worse when I did searches of them at fanfiction.net and saw they've been used for dozens of fics across a swath of fandoms.

No new posts 02-05-2012 18:27 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Thank you for your support Chris, Julie and EW.

As I say, what I worry about is that someone else will see me using their idea and thinking I have copied theirs. What I need to keep reminding myself, as has been pointed out, is that there can only be an certain number of ideas that fit with the BOTP/Gatch universes before people start reusing them.

The other thing I keep having to remind myself is that if I have thought about it (had an idea), then others have certainly considered it as well. I shouldn't expect my ideas to be original. Only how I put them together and use them, if even that.

No new posts 02-05-2012 21:07 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
RE: Things that freak me out Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
I just saw this partial description for Pixar's new movie Brave:

http://pixar.wikia.com/Wisps

In it, there are apparently characters called "wisps" that are "spiritual, ethereal beings" who appear as little blue orbs of light and have the ability to change one's fate.

OK, then. I wrote this piece in January 2008 for a BotP fan fiction challenge:

http://gatchfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=757

My alien characters were called wisps who appeared as shimmering colored wisps of light (my main characters were green) and lived in the Theta Region, where they harnessed the dream energy of other sleeping beings.

How weird is that? Abduct1

I kind of hoped that someday I could go back and use the original part of my story for some original science fiction. Guess I'll have to scrap that idea now.

Detonate

Jul, I'd look into it further. Was anything published about 'wisps' prior to your story, which I remember and loved. When did Pixar start their movie? It could be pure coincidence, but that sounds too similar to me.

Once you post a story on the internet, it becomes your creative property. It just depends on how similar the 2nd story is to the original one.

Our fanfics are okay because we're not trying to make money on them, but a movie is trying to make money.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Becky Rock on 03-05-2012 at 01:35.
No new posts 03-05-2012 01:29 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Becky -

Good point, even if for my own peace of mind.

Well, it turns out that Nintendo came out with a whole wisp planet & culture in 2010: http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Wisps. This is also after my story.

But good old Wikipedia points out that the term will-o'- the-wisp, an unexplained glowing orb of light, has been described since at least the 19th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will-o%27-the-wisp

Which begs a bigger question: what if alien wisps are real?

Abduct3

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by jublke on 03-05-2012 at 14:19.
No new posts 03-05-2012 14:14 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Which begs a bigger question: what if alien wisps are real?

I heard of stranger things... Silly

No new posts 03-05-2012 17:05 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

And, when the chips are down, aren't there only seven plots in story-telling anyway, no matter what kind of fiction you write?

No new posts 03-05-2012 19:21 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: