Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Midwest torandos
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Midwest torandos
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Midwest torandos Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

The midwest is being slammed by tornados, especially in Indiana, Tennessee and Kentucky.

I hope all of our members in Indiana are okay.

No new posts 02-03-2012 23:15 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Today certainly counts as "Freaky Friday".

It started around lunchtime -- the school systems just across the river (in Kentucky) started dismissing early in anticipation of the severe thunderstorms and possible tornadoes. (That's never happened before in my lifetime.)

I was trying to get some online stuff done when the warning sirens went off. (As a matter of fact, I was on this site when it happened.) It was a bit of a surprise because it hadn't started raining yet...

At least three supercells raced through, just brushing the northern part of town. But several small communities to the northeast and northwest were hit hard. I don't know the extent of the damage yet, but so far there are 12 confirmed dead.

Right now, I honestly can't say how I feel. I'm just exhausted from the whole ordeal. It appears that the worst of it for me was just having the power go out for a few hours, and that makes me very fortunate. I can't even begin to imagine what the people who felt the full force of the storms are feeling right now.

No new posts 03-03-2012 03:54 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Good to hear your safe, EW. Hope other are too.

It seems like those things get stronger every year, but maybe it is just the media.

No new posts 03-03-2012 04:21 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

In Indianapolis, there were some heavy thunderstorms, but that was all. I've been seeing photos of the tornado damage in other places, on the internet today. My heart goes out to the victims!

No new posts 03-03-2012 05:13 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Glad to hear you folks in the storm area are okay!

No new posts 03-03-2012 06:46 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Been getting the news about them over here in the UK too... Hoping everyone in the path of the tornado stays safe!!

No new posts 03-03-2012 09:49 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

Good to hear you are safe EW
Please keep yourself safe over the upcoming seaon.

and to any others near that area, please play it safe as well

No new posts 03-03-2012 09:55 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amethyst
It seems like those things get stronger every year, but maybe it is just the media.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who would rather have had the hype!

What made this batch of storms so devastating was that they produced "long track" tornadoes -- twisters that stay on the ground for many miles. It's the type of tornado you'd expect to see in Kansas or Oklahoma in the middle of summer. (We usually don't hear about those because they tend to happen where there's no population areas.) I just hate to think how much worse things could have been if the storms had hit during the night.

Anyway, if you want to see more about the tornadoes, you can check out this site:

http://www.wlky.com/index.html

No new posts 03-03-2012 14:02 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Has anyone heard from Garnet?

My husband is from the Indianapolis area and we have other friends who still live there. I've been there during one of these outbreaks and I never want to go through that again. Due to high water tables, most houses don't have basements.

In our hotel, they came around to the rooms and asked all the customers to come to the central hallway. Several people, including my husband, went outside to check the situation out. They all came back in to say the tornado was just to the north, very visible. The next day, we saw the damage. The only saving grace was it was farmland.

My thoughts are with the families who lost loved ones and those who lost their homes.

No new posts 03-03-2012 14:34 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I'm glad to hear that everyone is okay! Grouphug

No new posts 03-03-2012 14:52 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

I've been on the fringe of a few too, but not for many years.

The last one I remember, I was riding with my Aunt and Uncle from Iowa to Kenosha, Wisconsin. We were under a watch the whole way and into dinner, when it touched down a few communities north of Kenosha.

The closest one, was when I was about 5, again visiting my Aunt and Uncle and it touched down a few streets from the house. My Uncle "showed" us the remodel he had been doing on the basement, while my Aunt was standing outside the side door watching it, and my father stood at the base of the stairs yelling at her.

EW, thanks for that info. It's quite likely as population centers continue to grow, the more communities will be in the path of those dangerous ones. Kind of like here wild fires out here, since the undergrowth can't be burned off anymore due to housing growth in wild land areas.

No new posts 03-03-2012 17:26 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

I was thinking about you guys in the Midwest -- especially EW! Glad to know you're okay!

No new posts 03-03-2012 21:09 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer

When I left home for Detroit on Friday, to the south and east was nothing but a dark wall of cloud...Had rain the entire trip with visibility on 30 feet or so at times.

Once here, (Detroit) warm and pleasant...but incredibly heavy winds, gust to 60mph as the cold front moved on through...Yesterday--snow...I'm not kidding you, Currier and Ives sorta snow, and me in my windbreaker/raincoat...

Hubby and kids are fine as the worst of the weather passed east of where we live...but the devestaion is horrible, Henryville, Indiana is gone--dozens have periished...very, very sad....

No new posts 04-03-2012 11:29 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

There's a town in Alabama that was hit that has been hit four times in the last few years, the last one being last spring. I think it's time to move out of that town.

No new posts 04-03-2012 19:46 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The security cameras that were in Henryville (Indiana) High School when the March 2 tornadoes hit survived, and the footage was released yesterday. Seeing the images of the school as it was being destroyed by an EF4 tornado is simply jaw-dropping...

Here's a link: www.wlky.com/video/30699652/detail.html

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 17-03-2012 at 18:56.
No new posts 17-03-2012 18:55 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That is terrifying, but it's amazing the cameras survived. It looks like those kids getting off the school bus literally had 3 seconds to get in the building and that was it.

No new posts 17-03-2012 20:18 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Damn, that's scary! Makes me very glad that my neighborhood has tornado sirens, and the house has a basement.

No new posts 17-03-2012 21:05 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Yikes! Very glad BC isn't prone to tornados!

ETA: And wow yeah the kids didn't have much time did they?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ChrisW on 17-03-2012 at 21:10.
No new posts 17-03-2012 21:10 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Though you probably have earthquakes to worry about. And on the east coast, there are hurricanes. It seems that no part of North America is safe from a natural disaster of some sort.

No new posts 17-03-2012 21:35 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer

Some friends of ours just had a close call with one in Michigan...missed their neighborhood, but their friends are going to have to move out for a while as their house had enough damage to make it unliveable...

Had enough of this weird weather!

No new posts 17-03-2012 22:59 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: