Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Emails, how large is too large
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Go to the bottom of this page Emails, how large is too large
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer
Emails, how large is too large Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I run the email list for a couple of real life groups. Folks like some of you here. Non-techies on slow connections.

One woman sent round (or tried to send round) a pdf, sized at 750kb, advertising an event. (She sent it on the day of the event, to the wrong address, but that's another story.)

I think 750kb is a bit large, and it should be either reduced (can one reduce a pdf?) or she should put it up elsewhere and advertise the web address.

She's come up with some good questions, based on her own experience.

quote:
When the original comes to me, at what size do I know when a file needs to be reduced? (On my system, this poster did not start to download until I asked it to do so. Then it asks if I want it saved or opened, so it does the trouble-shooting for me.)

Could I not warn people not to download a .pdf if they're on dial-up? Can he/she not see the size of the item and take care?

And why is a dial-up user stuck with downloading something? Can it not be suspended by using the esc key?

Sometimes I receive digital photos which the sender has sent HUGE, too big to see clearly, even. Is that the same sort of prob?

Her questions have me thinking. Maybe everyone with slow connections (excluding my parents) now now systems that allow more control. Is that so?

Also, what about the storage space it sucks up? 10MB sill sounds right to me for email accounts, which doesn't allow for too many files of this size.

Your thoughts?

Cricket

- Viktor E. Frankl

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by CricketBeautiful on 31-05-2007 at 20:45.
No new posts 31-05-2007 20:35 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

My email software would leave an undownloaded email with an attachment like that on the server, until it was downloaded. And the pop servers are rather slow compared to everything else I access. So if I had a big attachment lurking in there and it was being a pain to download, I'd be stuck with it until I went into its webmail front end and deleted it manually.

I don't think 750k would be such a pain to me though as I have broadband, and although email downloads seem slow, they're an awful lot faster than dialup email downloads.

For people recieving group email at work, it's becoming more common now for the size of their mail database to be restricted. Mine and my husband's are restricted to 50mb (separate companies), and since it's work email, that space is needed for work attachments not personal stuff. I have no idea whether many people would recieve their group email at work, expecially if there are restrictions in place, but it would depend on whether it's easy for them to access email at home, or whether they feel they have to get their group emails asap.

Free email services? Yahoo claims to be unlimited in size, and hotmail gives you 2gb of storage. Since they're web based, they give you more choice over whether to download attachments or not as well.

I find 750k annoyingly big for an attachment. Especially one that's useless. But I'd accept it for a digital photo, because they're big, unless it was photos I wasn't expecting and really didn't want. In which case I'd be stuck with going to the webmail interface on my email and deleting the thing from there, if the pop servers were funny about letting me download it. It's all context, isn't it?

I do recall there used to be an option on yahoo groups to disallow attachments. Banning attachments would stop any arguments whatsoever about it in future. biggrin2

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 31-05-2007 21:25 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

http://www.gatchamania.net/thread.php?threadid=1071

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 02-06-2007 09:55 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Thread Closed by: Cep
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: