Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Hurricane Irene
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hurricane Irene
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer
Hurricane Irene Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I thought a thread should be started wishing everyone in hurricane Irene's path safety and good wishes to you and your families.

I know the rain began more than 12 hours ago in some areas, but now with the eye of the storm heading closer and closer into land, I hope no one on the board sees any personal damage or loss. Please keep us updated for as long as you can and while you continue to have electricity. I will continue to send good thoughts out to everyone affected.

No new posts 27-08-2011 12:13 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'm just waiting for it to come by. I prepared on Tuesday (food, water, batteries, flashlights). I'm a pessimist in heart, so I always prepare for the worst.

Good luck to everyone in its path.

No new posts 27-08-2011 12:38 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I hope everyone stays safe!

No new posts 27-08-2011 13:38 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
I'm a pessimist in heart, so I always prepare for the worst.

I call that being smart!

Hope it all goes okay, with no bad damage or lengthy power outages!

No new posts 27-08-2011 14:40 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
quote:
I'm a pessimist in heart, so I always prepare for the worst.

I call that being smart!

Hope it all goes okay, with no bad damage or lengthy power outages!

I agree! If you are prepared for the worst that can happen, everything else will be easy.

Hope the storm is over soon.

No new posts 27-08-2011 17:47 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

We had an old gas grill that was knocked over and damaged this past spring in a storm that we hadn't bothered to replace. I had just gotten a new propane tank for it.

I made the hubby go out and get a new one Wed night, since we had the full tank, just in case. He came back with a nicer one that even has a side burner for pots and pans cooking. Wasn't in the budget, but I can skip the toll road for a while.

It's 3:30 PM. We've had a few bands of light rain and some breezes, but nothing harsh yet. The local news says its going to start going down hill probably over the next hour.

No new posts 27-08-2011 19:29 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Stay safe, Becky!

No new posts 27-08-2011 19:57 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I think we're right on the border of the bad weather. 30 miles west of DC. DC is getting wind gusts 25-45 and heavy rain. We're still only getting a light rain, very little breeze.

Actually, I'm a little concerned about the damage to the top of the Washington Monument from the earthquake. They sealed the cracks for now, but they say the higher you go, the strongers the winds are from the hurricane.

No new posts 27-08-2011 22:20 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

It's a Cat 1 which is pretty small for a hurricane/cyclone - however the wind will do damage - and I would say you will see more damage to the Washington Monument.

From the maps, I think you are just on the edge, Becky, so you will get a lot of rain and a bit of wind - the rain tends to be further out thatn the wind.

Because it's a Cat 1, the biggest threat will come from rain and storm surge - which is why the low lying areas and New York's subway is being closed.

LOL - listen to me! Can you tell I live in a cyclone prone region???

Anyone who is in the path though - the bathroom is your friend. It's the strongest room in the house - so get some comfy cushions, matresses and blankets in there. Fill the bathtub with water and put a clean sheet over it (to protect the water from dirt, etc) as this will ensure you have drinking water.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 28-08-2011 00:08 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Dragonsbain Dragonsbain is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-04-2011

spacer

Hello all,
Willmington,NC got about 7.5 inches of rain. The offical highest wind gust was 66 mph. Lots of water damage. It was nice to find out that only 1/2 of Willmington lost power. So everyone can find power close. Nothing like a hot meal.

Becky I wish you well. I hope your house doesn't flood. The offical measurement is for every 25 stories you go up, you add one catagory to the hurricane. The Washington Monument doesn't need the wind and rain.

I found a cute story on the local Willmington news website. Hopefully this will give everyone a smile.

WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) - Seventeen babies were born at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington as Hurricane Irene passed. But not 1 of them was named Irene.

Hospital spokeswoman Carolyn Fisher says the hospital usually has about 10 births in 24 hours. The 17 babies were born in the 18 hours between 6 p.m. Friday and noon Saturday.

Fisher also said about 40 children of hospital staff members stayed at the hospital Friday night on sleeping bags and air mattresses.

She says the hospital routinely provides such care for children of staffers who have to work during a storm and need a safe place for their children. During Irene, several doctors played guitar for the kids.

Fisher says the hospital never lost power.

Be Well all.

No new posts 28-08-2011 01:33 Dragonsbain is offline Send an Email to Dragonsbain Search for Posts by Dragonsbain Add Dragonsbain to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

We're starting to get heavier rain and some gusts, but nothing too serious. It had to happen once it got dark, of course.

I think Irene is about the largest hurricane I've ever seen by the sheer size of it. It was stretched out clear from South Carolina to the Canadian border at one point.

My son is disappointed. He wanted some action. I told him it wasn't over yet. The center isn't expected to be east of us for a few more hours. He doesn't remember Isobel in 2003 or Gaston at Myrtle Beach in 2004. If he did, I don't think he'd be so anxious for the 'action'.

No new posts 28-08-2011 01:39 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I believe we have cloud cover showing up now, here in Ontario. Of course I don't think we will have any of the rain or wind from the storm, only the outer reaches of cloud, but you are correct Becky it is a huge system.

No new posts 28-08-2011 02:44 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

Oh yeah - it's a massive system in size! They were saying about 1000 kilometers across - which is twice the size of TC Yasi that hit Queensland earlier this year.

A good thing though is that the larger in size they are, the destructive forces often are weaker because they are spread out further.

Not that that is much consolation to those who get caught up in it!

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 28-08-2011 03:57 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That's a cute article, Dragon. I believe drastic changes in air pressure can cause women who are close to delivering to go into labor.

We had some gusts during the night and lots of rain, bt I don't think the gusts exceeded 50 mph. Haven't heard how much rain we got yet but I checked on the level of the local creek and its barely risen.

I live on a hill. It would take a Noah's Ark situation to get this high. I've never heard of land slides around here, so I doubt the rain could cause that to happen. Its not that steep of a hill.

No new posts 28-08-2011 13:12 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
AllentownDarkWater AllentownDarkWater is a Male
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-01-2010

spacer

Well it's Sunday, and I can tell you this:Hurricane Irene didn't do shit. I knew the news was just trying to put fear into us again. Nothing but wind and rain and everyone's acting like it's a Roland Emmerich disaster film and shitting their pants with fear, including my mother, uncle and older brother. I just KNEW it wouldn't be any major problem from the moment I heard about it. Fucking news. Stop trying to scare everyone. And on top of that, I'm in a bad mood because of something that happened last night.

No new posts 28-08-2011 16:30 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

Allen, my father always says an ounce of precaution is worth a pound of regret - meaning it is far better to be prepared for the worst than having to deal with the aftermath.

Hurricanes and other severe weather patterns are not able to be predicted to with 100% certainty - Irene could have easily turned out to be the worst natural disaster NYC and the surrounding areas have faced in decades - as it is, reports are suggesting several people still died as a result.

That you and your family escaped the worst - great! That is truly fantastic! But what could have happened was still very real - and several families are dealing with that now.

Be thankful you were spared, Allen - and never forget that Mother Nature is definitely not a deity to be dismissed. You, and thousands of others, were lucky - this time.

No new posts 28-08-2011 18:42 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Nice story, Dragonsbain.

quote:
Originally posted by Dragonsbain
Seventeen babies were born at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington as Hurricane Irene passed. But not 1 of them was named Irene.

I don't think I'd want to grow up knowing I was named after a natural disaster! Laugh1

quote:
That's a cute article, Dragon. I believe drastic changes in air pressure can cause women who are close to delivering to go into labor.

That would make sense. I wonder if stress has anything to do with it too -I think I've encountered a fair number of movies/books where, in the midst of a big crisis, that's when the pregnant woman character goes into labor.

My aunt was a pediatric nurse for decades, and she swears that full moons induce labor. Not too sure I believe that though...

No new posts 28-08-2011 19:33 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
quote:

That would make sense. I wonder if stress has anything to do with it too -I think I've encountered a fair number of movies/books where, in the midst of a big crisis, that's when the pregnant woman character goes into labor.

I would believe that, but then I am basing that on what I have seen on TV and in the movies. And as we know they are not always "correct" in what happens in real live.

quote:
My aunt was a pediatric nurse for decades, and she swears that full moons induce labor. Not too sure I believe that though...

As a teacher I would claim that a full moon makes children wilder. Being windy also seems to have the same affect. I would also say that eating candy at Halloween affects children's temperaments, and yet doctors have written studies saying sugar does not have this affect. (So, what to believe?)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 29-08-2011 at 00:15.
No new posts 29-08-2011 00:14 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by AllentownDarkWater
Well it's Sunday, and I can tell you this:Hurricane Irene didn't do shit. I knew the news was just trying to put fear into us again. Nothing but wind and rain and everyone's acting like it's a Roland Emmerich disaster film and shitting their pants with fear, including my mother, uncle and older brother. I just KNEW it wouldn't be any major problem from the moment I heard about it. Fucking news. Stop trying to scare everyone. And on top of that, I'm in a bad mood because of something that happened last night.

I think any storm that results in 21 deaths and many more missing did, in fact, do shit.

: shakes head and rolls eyes :

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 29-08-2011 19:05 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It did come in a lot weaker than expected. Of course that's easy for me to say watching it safely from the west coast.

The death toll was just updated to 35. However, most appear to be either from falling trees or people being stupid.

I'm sorry, but trying to surf through it (I saw reports of this, but nothing that ties this to any deaths or missing), driving through flooded streets or boating/canoeing, particularly without a life jacket are just really stupid behaviors.

No new posts 30-08-2011 01:17 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: