Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » 300
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 300
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer
300 Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yesterday afternoon, I went to see the film 300. For those who don't know what that's about, then it's based on Frank Miller's comic 300 which is based loosely on the famous battle between 300 Spartans and the Persian army at Thermopylae in 480 BC.

Before the film came out, I wasn't too sure about how good the film was but I rather liked the style of it and will be comparing it with the film 300 Spartans on BBC2 this afternoon, as I haven't got anything interesting to do this afternoon.

I would recomend that people see this, either at the cinema or DVD.

No new posts 24-03-2007 12:17 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I have heard that this movie is rather decent...

Sorry to have not responded to any of your other movie post... I just haven't seen any of them so I would hate to sound like an idiot...

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 25-03-2007 09:53 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Only if you drink too much, then you would sound like an idiot.

No new posts 25-03-2007 21:13 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

If I drink too much I end up praising the porsalin(sp?) god... Puke4 Thats why I drink very little, cheap date that way!!!

No new posts 26-03-2007 01:09 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Tut, tut.

No new posts 28-03-2007 15:55 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer

300?!

BLOODY F**KING ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

When you watch it for the first time, let the sensations just wash over you, just go for the ride.

Its the second time that you can truly marvel at its beauty grit and raw passion . the cinematography of course would be teetering in a beautiful juxtaposition between surrealism and brutal reality, befitting a director who oversaw Pulp fiction.

Hell after watching it I just wanted to get up and knock someone's head off yelling out "For Sparta!!!!" just for the sheer heck of it ! Hell yeah!! grin.

If you want to see what Ken or Joe would ever act like ....hmmm lets make that just Joe ... if they were ancient Greeks then youve got it right there! The strategies used were cunning and OMG Berg Katse would have made and Excellent Xerxes.

( ooh Hottie alert!! Xerxes is played by the droolworthy guy in "love Actually" darn cant remember his name but the bespecaled guy in the office who makes out with the girl with the handicapped brother! ooooooh yuuuuum drooool for his performance in Love actually and as Xerxes in 300)

omg...speaking of droooling, ooooh yeah plently of six packs half naked men, testosterone to make any female......er..cough...yep er anyway you jget my drift... gringrin

Imi

No new posts 08-04-2007 16:32 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Here's a bit of a history lesson just for you Imaqtz. What was siad in the film about all those arrows blocking of the sun (nothing to do with the film Sunshine) and the Spartan's reply was that they will fight in the shade. Well that's what exactly was said in real life. Also in the beginning of the film where the Persians were dumped in a well because they wanted Sparta's earth and water, well that's also what exactly happened in real life.

Also later when Alexander the Great's daddy sent a message saying "If I enter Laconia I will level Sparta to the ground". Sparta replied "If."

No new posts 09-04-2007 10:42 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Imi... I see you like to get into the "world" of the movies too... I have a hard time looking at "anything" now without comparring it to Gatch/BOTP!!!

No new posts 09-04-2007 13:55 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchgirl
.. I have a hard time looking at "anything" now without comparring it to Gatch/BOTP!!!

Ditto! Everything I see these days has to pass my "Gatchometer" test.

So far this year, "300" not only passed but damn well blitzed the gatchometer test! The blood splattering violence would of made Tatsunoko weep with envy for the battle scenes against the Galactans. Were it possible to cross Ken with Joe you would have gotten Leonidas!!

And Ive just reread my original first post on this thread and want to correct that this movie was directed not by Tarantino from Pulp fiction but by the guy from Sin City. - which of course explains the whole colour scheme of 300!

Ah ye Gods dont let me even START on Sin City ! Perfection at its ultimate best!

As for the history behind the movie 300 , Metaliant you rock! Quite worthy factual points to note indeed.

Also worthy to note that I had to help the daughter last year with her Ancient History and with Greek history 5th Century BC. The Battle of Thermopylae, where the events of the 300 Spartans losing to Xerxes took place was crucial to boosting Greek morale and interstate unity in winning against the Persians thus helping them win in the Battle of Plataea, (which occurs at the end of the movie.)

A bit like when Centure Neptune was destroyed and so with a new phoenix, and kickass Gatch attitude, Spectra had its butt kicked !!

did I ever mention I LUUUUURVE kickass movies and characters??

Woo!!
Greysniper2 Greysniper2

No new posts 10-04-2007 13:48 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I love Sin City and heard that they are making a sequal as well. As for the history lesson, I just love history and after watching 300, I watched the 50s/60s film 300 Spartans on telly the day after and although I do prefer 300 tot he first one, it still have that cone on and get it (which was also said by Spartans in real life and ws used by a Greek army corps as their motto) attiude. Also the line of sighting in the shade is also a motto for a Greek army corps as well but can't rmember which one. Guns1

No new posts 11-04-2007 18:29 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

it wouldnt matter if you cant remember which, that fighting in the shade quote is one KICKASS LINE!!

Man, those Spartans were the "Supersaiyans" of the ancent Greek World!!!!! Vegeta and Goku would have been proud of them..

and please please please let those rumours be true about a Sin City Sequel....ah be still my beating heart!

Woot!!!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by imaqtz on 13-04-2007 at 15:37.
No new posts 13-04-2007 15:37 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Spartans may have been one of the finest soldiers in the world but they did have flaws lke everybody else. They didn't really have a navy to rival Athens but in saying that Athens or any other City state at that time had a professional fighting force like Spartans, who were experts at the phalamx, a kind of formations.

Sorry for the history lessons there Imi.

No new posts 14-04-2007 08:06 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

sorry? you kidding? Im loving it and the fact that you love the subject as well!

I tend to think of Athens as Ken, revered for its strategic moves and having the ultimate gatchafencer weapon, their navy. Sparta like Joe had quite a reputation for being quite brutal in their training methods and upbringing of their society. Heck they even told Athens to wait while they finished their three day religious festival at the Battle of Marathon!

Sparta for all its austerity and brutality was quite forward thinking in allowing its women to play quite an active role in helping with training and raising their sons to be warriors . they had the duty of bearing sons that would carry on the name of their fathers in war (love that they used this fact in the movie! )

Women were simply not allowed to even know what was going on in the other states as it was "man's business" .

I guess , where Athens used its "head" trying to unify Greece with strategy, knowledge of being on their own turf, and using admirable sneak attacks in the Persian wars, Sparta and the events that took place in the Battle of Thermopylae was very much the "heart" and the morale boost that was needed for a 10000 strong Greek army to come up against an overwhelming 300,000 Persian one (according to Herodotus who as a greek obviously exaggerated *grin* )

Heck if I were born in greece at the time, I'd gladly forgo the civilised state of Athens with its boring backstabbing politics and the upcoming Delian League, to take my chances with Sparta,with their fierce loyalty, their pride and Kickass attitude... well that is hoping I was born very healthy, surviving exposure in a cave, living on nothing but the bare essentials (hence the adjective "spartan"in the vernacular ) and not having to be thrown over the cliffs should I have even one deformity or handicap!

ah its cool stuff , cool stuff indeed!!

Rock on!! Woo!

Greyvsgreen

No new posts 14-04-2007 13:20 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Did you also know that Athens unlike Sparta was more open to sex and also, if the majority of people in Sparta weren't true blood Spartans if you weren't, then you were either a Helot (slave) or a second class citizen. Also, a military service lasts until about 60 or tsomething like that and then you can go into politics AND Sparta had 2 kings, one stays at home while the other went around kicking everybody's arses.

AAANNNNDDD if I was born in Sparta, they would leave me outside because I am disabled. That's right, they only look for healthy and strong babys. If you weren't or disabled or look weak, then they would just dump you in the countryside and you would never be a true Spartan (if you lived that long of course) and it seems that teenagers were alowed to wander the countryside during their training to kill whatever naughty people or Helots.

Just goto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta and you will be amazed what you can fiind out.[

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Metaliant on 15-04-2007 at 09:08.
No new posts 15-04-2007 09:06 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

and here I was rummaging through stupid textbooks, grabbing quotes from herodotus's "histories " text as well as logging to the "bored of studies" website for HSC year 12 candidates for a WHOLE lousy year when i could have just gone onto wikipedia! *faints*

LOL. I take my hat off to you Metaliant babe, I simply should have come to you!..

that was awesome sharing of very VERy interesting info on greek history!

Hmm, Id have to rethink about Spartan patronage however in light of of your info,as id end up as a helot. And am soooo damn glad you werent born in Sparta too! We'd have to start our own state and throw them down cliffs or leave them outside the city walls!! Soldier

No new posts 15-04-2007 13:55 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

My supervisor sometimes uses it and I thought I might try using it to find information of songs that I copied on discs.

I have watched a funny news quiz called Have I Got News For You (damm funny show), which apparently said that the bloke who invented wikipedia is now saying that some information is completely incorrect.

I think the information about the history of stuff I found is alright but it makes me wonder..............

No new posts 16-04-2007 21:11 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Some information in wikipedia completely incorrect? Naaaah.

Think it was Nature magazine that compared accuracy between it and Britanica. Found Wikipedia maginally more accurate.

It's also a good mirror on opinions and interests of the subset of the population who post to it. Assuming they aren't spoofing it. Then again, so are blogs. It's interesting to see how opinions change over time. My views on the Cold War, when I was a teen, have changed somewhat, and I'm sure my son's will be very different. (Homework last night, needed rhymes for "stew", got do, dew and DEW. Out comes the globe and explanation. Mention I know someone who watches the radar up in Alaska. Touch on the Cold War. Sheesh, all because he needs to learn words starting with st-blends.)

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 18-04-2007 14:47 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Lol

If St sound blends got you to the Cold War, imagine how I felt, falling off my chair in hysterical laughter, how links to "Eunichs" got me to "Gatchamania".

I mean seriously how the Heck do you get from Eunich to Gatchamania eh??!!

Rofl Rofl Rofl

No new posts 19-04-2007 12:39 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

I'd love to see the trail!

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 19-04-2007 15:48 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Eunich led to some active eunich club (I mean people WILLINGLY want to become eunichs!!! ) led to some link on some famous guy who actually recorded his operation...led to link on yaoi...led to links animes....led to............

GATCHAMANIA!!!!!

evilvsangel woohoo

No new posts 19-04-2007 15:54 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: