Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » The Da Vinci Code
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Da Vinci Code
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
The Da Vinci Code Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hello,

Didnt know whether I wanted to add this in rant section or not.

I read Dan Browns books Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci code and I thought they were brilliant, especially the unexpected plot twists that were intermingled with the references to history etc.

I then saw the film.........

oh deary, deary me........

*** Spoiler coming up ***

If I was Dan Brown I would be hunting Ron Howard down with a shotgun and a pack of dogs for basically ruining one of my lifes masterpeices in this very poor and in some places ridiculous adaptation of the book.

Not only does the film not even start off how it does in the book but it also completely changes not only the ending of the story but perhaps one of the best plot twists in the entire story.

The twist being that the meeting between aringarosa at the popes residence at the begining of the story seems to be indicating that the church has paid opus dei money to destroy the priory of sion and the holy grail.

When in actual fact the church is actually kicking opus dei out of the roman catholic church and the money is a refund for opus dei funding to the vatican bank in the early 80's.

Apart from that what really got me mad was the film seemed to rush through the storyline (which it altered heavily ill get back to that in a moment) touching on certain major events in the book.

There was no character build up, people just appeared and then disapeared with no explanation whatsoever as to their actions, history or persona.

A classic example is the bank manager that helps Sophie and Langdon escape the French police, without being asked and then attacks them later on when they are in the countryside.

There is no explanation of this scene and even better, what the hell happened to the guy! The book explains this, it explains his reason for helping them, it explains his history and character and it explains the reason he attacks them and then it later explains what happens to him.

The film appears to make him out to be an agent of the church, this is not true.

Another thing was the whole affair with Silas, one of the main characters, you have no explanation as to who he is or anything till one point in the film were you see a flashback of his past.

Sophies own history flashbacks were incorrect and not very clear and even the relationship between teabing and Langdon was scewed.

In the book Langdon explains alongside teabing about the holy grail and what it is to Sophie, in the film Langdon is virtually argueing every point Teabing makes, in complete controversy to his own sodding book!!!!!

One of the best things about the book is the explanations given to the meaning of words and symbols in the film you end up with a sesame street show highlighting the symbollogys meaning as you would expect big bird to explain the alphabet.

I mean at one stage I was expecting Count Count to jump out and start off saying "Von, Two, Tree".

The casting was great but the acting wasn't very good. The french girl cast as Sophie was not at all suited to the role in my opinion her accent was far too deep and I found myself saying "what the hell did she just say?"

I am very disapointed in this film and like I say if I was Dan Brown I would be castrating Ron "the dick" Howard about his exceptional poor attempt at the film.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 01-06-2006 12:08 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I've never read The Da Vinci Code, but I've always wanted to. For that purpose, I did NOT go see the movie. But it's promising, as movies that mess up the books often hint that the book is really good.

No new posts 01-06-2006 15:42 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I thought the movie was so so. I will keep in mind what you have said about the book and may venture off to read it, so I could possibly understand the movie better. Or realize more how crappy it is in comparison.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 01-06-2006 20:10 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Berg Katse Berg Katse is a Female
Pleather Goddess

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2001

spacer

I never bothered reading the book or seeing the film. I've read non-fiction work regarding the story of Mary Magdalene going to France or England after the death of Jesus, about the Templars, the Holy Grail, and Rennes-le-Chateau. Though you'd think this would be the stuff I'm interested in, it really isn't--it's all things that have been speculated before.

I guess it makes it a bit more controversial that some people believe that Jesus, as a son of God, is somehow not human, and thus, if he had descendants, they'd be demi-gods or something. Funny how the Greeks believed this (their mythology would be pretty boring without the demi-gods), but no one is running around looking for the offspring of Helen of Troy, Hercules or Aeneas, just to name a few. And when the emperors of Rome claimed themselves to be gods and descendants of Aeneas, no one was terribly interested in their descendants either. Or the descendants of the pharaohs (also supposedly gods). I guess, for me anyhow, the premise just seems really weird that if Jesus had descendants, it'd be some cover-up. Like it would fracture the church, or give the descendants some sort of power over people. When you see that people followed David Koresh and Adolf Hitler...well...I'm digressing so I think I'll stop now.

Katse

No new posts 02-06-2006 00:17 Berg Katse is offline Send an Email to Berg Katse Homepage of Berg Katse Search for Posts by Berg Katse Add Berg Katse to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: Katse (d9yaa@unb.ca)
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

My mother has the Da Vinca Code book but not too sure if she seen the movie. Me personally, not interested in either but will watch the film when it comes to the telly.

I did buy a book called The Magdalene Society which had a similar idea but with a secreat society trying to make the Second Coming happening by making people in mirciles and UFOs and cow mutilations, etc and also trying to cover up their own society and so forth.

The problem with films that are based on books is that they can't make the films follow the book precisely, eg Tom Clancy's books, Red October, Patriot Games and Clear And Present Danger, which I have read and seen the films. With the last 2 films, they changed things, which I didn't like.

With the sequal to Clear And Present Danger, The Sum Of All Fears, the film was totally unlike the book. Okay, so they didn't want to offend the Muslims, because MUslin terrorists bomed an American city with a nuke and instead they used right wing Russians. That's okay by me, but hte rest of the storyline was totally unlike the book, which I hated (the film, not the book)

The Lord Of The Rings films were very, very good and I had to admire Peter Jackson for what he tryid to do.

In other words, some films that are based on books, can carry it out but the majority of films won't be any good or are just cack.

No new posts 02-06-2006 11:39 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Started reading DaVinci code, and it lost me about 1/4 in. I'm not into conspiracy theory books, and it spent too much time presenting all the research than getting on with the plot and there were too many coincidences. Also, I found it hard to believe that they'd actually catch on to the clues.

Bourne Identity has only the opening and the idea similar between book and movie, but I enjoyed each of them. Haven't read the sequels, but I did see the second movie and it doesn't match the backs of the books at all. The second movie was good, except I didn't enjoy the camera work for the chase scenes; hubby thought they were great. Then again, I get dizzy from 1st-person-shooter games and he loves them.

BI book has conspiracies and explanations, but they didn't turn me off at all. Someday, I'll figure out what the authors did differently.

Cricket

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 02-06-2006 15:08 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Ronin
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-09-2004

spacer

Youve been suckered big time.

Everyone in the know knew this movie was going to be crap. It was a boring and pretensious book, with nothing new in it, and it was well nigh unfilmable.

(says she who knows more about the occult than she cares to admit)

No new posts 10-06-2006 07:38 Ronin is offline Send an Email to Ronin Search for Posts by Ronin Add Ronin to your Buddy List
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

I've not read the book nor do I have any plans to see the film. I did think of buying the book for my husband, since he likes a good bit of populist conspiracy theory to laugh at, but he refused to read it. I would have thought a bit of populist conspiracy theory converted into a thriller would have been just his sort of thing but apparently not.

And, since the only "news" I've seen over the last 2 weeks referred to some bloke Rooney's metatarsals and how they weren't so bad any more, and that some people referred to as Brangelina have had a baby (do I care?), the world of film reviews has not had me in it. But I was amused to read in it's showing at Cannes (or wherever) that people were laughing in the bits that aren't meant to be laughed at. Of course, they're a jaded lot at these film festivals but even so, it's not exactly good publicity.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 11-06-2006 08:33 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: