Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Baby name game
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Baby name game
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer
Baby name game Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

As you may know, in my Bradbury’s Jar fic, Jun has just had a baby boy, which has prompted the response, “what is his name?”

Well, to be frank, I haven’t got a clue, so what I thought might be fun was if we all gave suggestions and the name that is the most popular will be the one I use. The winning name will be revealed in the next suitable prompt fic although I have the final say.

No new posts 14-05-2012 16:23 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

KT, I probably shouldn't admit this, but it occurred to me to combine the names of his parents: Kenju. I kind of like it.

No new posts 14-05-2012 17:41 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jublke
KT, I probably shouldn't admit this, but it occurred to me to combine the names of his parents: Kenju. I kind of like it.

Does anyone know, does Kenju mean anything in Japanese? Otherwise, it does sound like a very Gatch name!

No new posts 14-05-2012 19:59 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Just don't name it Kentaro!!!!!!! Eek5

ETA: Kozaburo would be okay... and a reasonable choice.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 14-05-2012 at 20:12.
No new posts 14-05-2012 20:11 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The closest name I found was Kenji, which apparently means Ken and two!

Quite appropriate really! Any other suggestions though?

No new posts 14-05-2012 20:11 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer

Shou- or Sho means to "soar or fly.."

Does anyone else remember the Ford Taurus Sho?

No new posts 14-05-2012 20:45 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by k2p2
Shou- or Sho means to "soar or fly.."

Does anyone else remember the Ford Taurus Sho?

Yeah. I remember saying, "It's more like a No-Sho!"

No new posts 14-05-2012 20:52 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer

Oh, but it had an amazing engine....brutally quick...a friend of mine knew or told me about plopping the Taurus Sho engine into a Ford Festiva chassis....called it the Sho-gun...a very fast, lightweight car...

No new posts 14-05-2012 21:00 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
RIgirl RIgirl is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-04-2010

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
Just don't name it Kentaro!!!!!!! Eek5

Why not? There's nothing wrong with Kentaro and it is a perfectly reasonable, fine name and nothing that would invoke such horror as expressed.

(Regardless of how anyone else feels about Kentaro, perhaps it should be remembered that Ken does actually love his father ...)

That issue aside, however, I did not think that the Japanese culture subscribed to the notion of naming children "after" people; rather, I always thought they went for placement in the family (like first son, second son) or naming for desirable attributes (such as beauty or strength).

I thought Jublke's suggestion was a lovely one, and so is k2p2's, and either of them would fit perfectly.

No new posts 14-05-2012 22:19 RIgirl is offline Send an Email to RIgirl Search for Posts by RIgirl Add RIgirl to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

Kentaro is actually a very appropriate choice as 'taro' is often used to designate a first born son...

As far as I know, though, it doesn't mean 'first son of' - meaning you don't have to name him after his father.. so could be Kotaro or Yutaro, for example, not necessarily Kentaro.

Quite often there will be a family 'tradition' of sorts with the naming of boys, but more in the line of a certain suffix being used... I once knew a family of four boys, their first names all ended in 'yuki'... I knew a couple of brothers who had 'yaka' names...

And, of course, the 'hito's... the current Emperor, his descendants and ancestors...

No new posts 15-05-2012 06:09 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

so would Juntaro work then?

No new posts 15-05-2012 07:12 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

Jun is actually a male name....so, yeah, it does.

No new posts 15-05-2012 08:27 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

Heiwa means peace (japanese) so Heiken, Heijun
Kessoku - means unity (japanese)
Aikya - unity in Tibet/sanskrit
Ekatva - unity/onenes

No new posts 15-05-2012 09:59 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

KT, a very good source for names, of all origins, is www.behindthename.com

For some countries it is more complete than others, but it is still very good. It gives meanings, origins, and variations. You can also sort by gender.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by amethyst on 15-05-2012 at 17:47.
No new posts 15-05-2012 17:46 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hee hee hee, thanks for the link, Ame! If I wasn't spoilt for choice before, I certainly am now! Big Grin

No new posts 17-05-2012 06:39 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

So the winning name has been selected, please read Bradbuty's Jar #25 to find out what I eventually chose...

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, you didn't make it easy for me, I can tell you.

No new posts 17-06-2012 16:37 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: