Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Inspirational moments.
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Inspirational moments.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Inspirational moments. Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

As some of you might know-me and my husband have a daughter adopted just under a year ago. Well I have been reading up a lot on how to raise an adopted child...

And i found these quotes...

"I don't have your eyes...But I have your way of looking at things..."

"We don't look the same, but in our hearts we are the same."

I felt for so few words they say a lot.

(and the last one made think of G-force and the SNT!)

Our beloved birdies are foster children, and much of the emotional issues we see on Gatchaman reflect that and how it affects them. (And BOTP.)

As I'm reading and they touch on reactions to situations...at times I think..."Wow thats Joe or Ken!!!" or... "Oh that's why Jun tries so hard to make them a family, its what she desperately wanted."

Anyway if you have anything you want to add please do so...or just post away...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 18-09-2008 at 12:06.
No new posts 18-09-2008 12:05 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

My best friend all through elementary school was adopted. She had a poem on her bedroom wall that I can actually still remember. Her mother had written it out by hand and drawn a little heart.

Not flesh of my flesh or bone of my bone,
But still you are my very own.
Don't you ever forget for a minute,
You didn't grow under my heart, but in it.

No new posts 18-09-2008 13:31 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

That's the adoption creed. I have that on my fridge.

Not flesh of my flesh
Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously
My own.
Never forget
For a single minute:
You didn't grow under my heart,
But in it.

--Fleur Conkling Heyliger

I just love the new books that are coming out for kids now.

I've been ordering books online. Some of them classic Australian about Possum characters and Kangaroo's and wombats...just to read to her.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 18-09-2008 at 22:51.
No new posts 18-09-2008 22:50 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne

That's the adoption creed. I have that on my fridge.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Apparently I didn't remember it exactly correctly either.

Hee, I used to read to my nephew when he was small, if I was babysitting him, and I would often elaborate on and embellish the stories to make them more entertaining, and on more than one occasion he told his mother, when she later read him the same books, that she "wasn't doing it right."

No new posts 19-09-2008 02:38 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

I had never heard of the adoption creed before, but it is definitely a great poem.

Ebonyswanne, I think it's awesome that you and your husband have taken in a child to love as your own.

No new posts 19-09-2008 03:53 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

I just those liked the quotes I found.

Most people who aren't touched by fostering or adoption know about the adoption creed. Its just one of those things. I made copies for my parents of it and my in-laws since she's the first adopted child in our family for at least 6 generations either side of the tree. They all love her very much and I have found they are protective of too. Whats even more a coincidence is that she's the only child that looks like my mother-in-law when she was 6 months old. And there's no genetics there or DNA between them. My daughter might find that interesting as she grows in her knowledge about herself.

I like to embellish on kids stories too...

One day when my daughter is at school I hope she doesn't get into the habit of calling America "Ameris" Because mum does... It can be our private joke...

Shamrokchick; I don't make a big thing of it really. The funny thing is she looks like us too. When I go out shopping people (strangers who walk up to her because she smiles at everyone) say she has mummy's smile. I just smile and say thanks.

Some of my friends from playgroup who's adopted children obvious don't look like them get rude comments sometimes. But they have found ways to combat it with some humour.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 19-09-2008 at 04:56.
No new posts 19-09-2008 04:53 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
saturn saturn is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

Registration Date: 21-05-2008

spacer
RE: Inspirational moments. Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
As some of you might know-me and my husband have a daughter adopted just under a year ago

Congratulations on the new addition in your family. I really think it is very wonderful that you and your husband has decided to bring a child into your lives and give her all the love that she deserves. She is definitely blessed to be in a loving family like yours. Having been trying for a baby for almost 3 years already,I have to be honest that I still haven't really considered adoption as an option; but after reading some of your experience with your daughter, it has definitely given me some new perspective on adoption, and I would like to thank you for that.

I would like to share some of poems about children from my favorite poets. They might not really talk about adoption, but they are beautiful nonetheless.
Hope that you like it.

An excerpt from a poem by Rabindranath Tagore (an Indian poet):
I shall be called by a new name,
embraced by a fresh pair of arms,
but I shall come and go,
the eternal me.

A poem "On Children" by Kahlil Gibran ( a Lebanese poet):
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Hope that you and your family will have lots of beautiful and magical moments with your daughter.

No new posts 19-09-2008 08:34 saturn is offline Send an Email to saturn Search for Posts by saturn Add saturn to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

quote:
When I go out shopping people (strangers who walk up to her because she smiles at everyone) say she has mummy's smile. I just smile and say thanks.

She DOES have your smile! The smile comes from WITHIN, and the love and laughter you both share on a daily basis. Huggles

No new posts 19-09-2008 15:07 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes, I truly believe that it's the relationship that makes you a parent, not biology.

My brother has three daughters and the oldest is technically his step-daughter but he's been in her life since she was eighteen months old and, as far as he is concerned, she is just as much his daughter as the other two.

In fact, her mother is now living in a different country and hasn't seen her oldest daughter, or the daughter that she and my brother had together, in at least five years. My brother has sole custody of both children -something that she agreed to and never disputed.

So I'd say that my brother is the true parent!

Funny thing though, my brother's third daughter, that he has with his second wife, looks so much like the oldest daughter -exact same colouring, similar features.

No new posts 19-09-2008 16:02 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

My B/F through school was adopted too. She has had many people say she looks a lot like her "dad" little did the rest of the world know.

LB , I must agree, anyone can be a biological parent. Still a mom or dad comes from the heart.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 19-09-2008 19:35 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

We have a few mum's and dad's on board and I know they parent their kids from the heart. Its the best way to go I feel...and honesty in any family is an essential ingredient.

In NSW adoption process we can't change her first name. Thats been in place since 2003. But we can request that we give a child a middle name if the birth parent allows it. She got our last name at least.

Huggles Saturn.( I know what its like.) China has lots of orphans and children needing a home. From what I know the Chinese would rather theses kids went to Chinese families than overseas. I do too, if they can find families first for them in their own country then they should stay there. But kids need a home and where they end up can be part of life's adventure. Look Superman... and Jun and Jinpei to name only a few. Wink2

I look at this way sometimes... in some cultures Kings would adopt son's as their heirs if they didn't produce one from their wives in days gone by. The child would be declared their own flesh and blood by the laws of the land and the rights of inheritance passed to them and it couldn't be disputed.

I like to tell stories so my daughter will have lots of fairytales made up by mummy about those kind of things.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 20-09-2008 at 01:22.
No new posts 20-09-2008 01:21 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: