Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Paralympics
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Paralympics
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer
Paralympics Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

"After 2 weeks of watching some drug addicts participate in the Olympics, then for the next 2 weeks, you could watch some non steriod using athletes doing sporty things in the disabled version of the Olympics called the Paralympics.

As a non fan of athletics, I love to watch the Paralympic athletics. and actually knew and trained with the British Paralympic Judo squad while I was at college.

Over the years, the BBC coverage has grown from just 2 hour highlights to couple of actually live coverage as well as the highlights and was even on Radio 5 as well.

Well this time, despite the live covarage of the opening cermony today at 12.50 (lunch time) GMT and tomorrow, the BBC will show 1 hour highlights of the sporting events all week.

I am so excited by this that I could just wet myself." Looks down. "Damm, too late."

No new posts 06-09-2008 09:45 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

At least the BBC carries somesort of coverage! I think finding any coverage here in the US is like finding a needle in a haystack... It would be great if the Paraolympics received at least some of the fanfare that the regular Olympics do here, since the para athletes train just as hard (if not harder) than able athletes. They should be recognized for it as much as the athletes are at the Olympics.

Oops. I think that was more of a rant than I meant it to be! I'll get off my soapbox now.... Blushing

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 06-09-2008 13:50 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I agree Hinotori. I wish it got better coverage over here in the U.S. too. I find it more interesting to watch these people do the same things as everyone else and sometimes even better!

No new posts 06-09-2008 14:24 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

I think Canada is poor on showing the Para Olympics as well.
I would love to see some of it, seeing as I know a couple of people who are competing.

No new posts 06-09-2008 15:00 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
I think Canada is poor on showing the Para Olympics as well.

Terry Fox would be disappointed with Canada.

I saw a TV news story a few weeks ago about a runner who has two prosthetic legs who petitioned to be eligible for the Olympics, but they still won't let him compete -they say that his prosthetic legs give him an unfair advantage!

No new posts 06-09-2008 15:43 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I have heard stories like that as well LB!
Sad isn't it. Can't compete in the Olympics because they have a disability and can't compete in the para Olympics because they have an advantage.

No new posts 06-09-2008 18:55 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Actually the athlete was a South Afriican and they did let him to the tryout for his team but he wasn't fast enough (he has an advantage, yeah right) and therefore he couldn't be in the Olympics but GB did have a swimmer who was a Paralympician who did compete and while watching the opening ceronomy (and WOAH it was undiscrible brilliant and amazing) couple of the commentators said that some of the Paralympians in the past and present were actually in the Olympics before they had various accidents which made them disabled but they carried on during sports, which led them to the Paralympics.

And what I saw at the end of the opening ceronomy was dumbfounded briliant. A former Chinese Paralympian in a wheelchair pulled himself up with the torch tro lit the huge torch thingy to open the games.

In fact, there were 1 million Chinese volunteers, which incled dancers, disabled singers and performers. AND a kid who survived the recent earthquakes over there was in a wheelchair with one leg and still performed a ballet.

Oh and by the way folks, if you go to the BBC website (I will try to find it) they will stream the whole thing online.

No new posts 06-09-2008 21:54 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Metaliant
Actually the athlete was a South Afriican and they did let him to the tryout for his team but he wasn't fast enough (he has an advantage, yeah right) and therefore he couldn't be in the Olympics but GB did have a swimmer who was a Paralympician who did compete and while watching the opening ceronomy (and WOAH it was undiscrible brilliant and amazing) couple of the commentators said that some of the Paralympians in the past and present were actually in the Olympics before they had various accidents which made them disabled but they carried on during sports, which led them to the Paralympics.

And what I saw at the end of the opening ceronomy was dumbfounded briliant. A former Chinese Paralympian in a wheelchair pulled himself up with the torch tro lit the huge torch thingy to open the games.

In fact, there were 1 million Chinese volunteers, which incled dancers, disabled singers and performers. AND a kid who survived the recent earthquakes over there was in a wheelchair with one leg and still performed a ballet.

Oh and by the way folks, if you go to the BBC website here they will stream the whole thing online.

No new posts 06-09-2008 22:01 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh and by the way folks, if you go to the BBC website here they will stream the whole thing online.

No new posts 06-09-2008 22:01 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oops, was trying to edit the bloody thing but it double posted. Wasn't me honest.

No new posts 06-09-2008 22:02 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That is okay Met. Besides it is one way to get your post count up again.

No new posts 07-09-2008 00:27 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Don't say that ortherwise I do more than double posts.

No new posts 07-09-2008 14:46 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Right, for thoses who are interested and don't know, the Paralympics have just finished (in the evening over there, afternoon here and morning in the Americas).

The closing ceremony was as undescriblably brilliant as the opening one and yet, if anybody was watching the Olympics closing ceremony, the red bus was back but not with Mr Beckham kicking a ball into the crowd and Boris Johnson (the flop haired blond haired idiot Mayor of London) was back and actually waved the Paralympic flag a bit better than what he attempted to do at the Olympics.

For me, despite the problems with medals being taken away, disabled people who were kicked out because they weren't disabled enough (what the......?) this has been the best Paralympics I have ever watched and enjoyed 110%.

However, I don't think personally that the opening and closing ceremonies of 2012 will be as moving or beautiful as the Chinese ones but we will see.

I may even try to spend almost 2 weeks in London to actually see it live.

No new posts 17-09-2008 14:22 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Thanks for the updates Met, didn't watch any of it myself though. Too busy in RL right now.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 17-09-2008 22:47 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

The Chinese are artists in everything they do. They value it in their culture. I always thought they would put on a good show.

No new posts 17-09-2008 22:51 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: