Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » The Day After Tomorrow
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Day After Tomorrow
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Tajiri Tajiri is a Male

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer
The Day After Tomorrow Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Even before “The Day After Tomorrow” was released it pissed some people off; but it wasn’t critics what were mad, it was the government. They didn’t like the fact that a film was coming out that dealt with global warming. They claim that it doesn’t exist while scientists are pulling their hair out trying to get people to listen. And to add a twist to all this NASA finally came out and said that there is a problem with global warming. Go figure. Any movie that can piss off the government is okay in my book.

“The Day After Tomorrow” is directed by Roland Emmerich who also directed “Independence Day”. So if you’ve seen “Independence Day” you might find “The Day After Tomorrow” vaguely familiar as the two follow a similar formula. You have a couple of scientists, played by Dennis Quaid and Ian Holm (Bilbo from LOTR), who the government won’t listen to about the impending doom until it’s too late. Instead of it being aliens this time it’s a drastic climate change. Dennis Quaid’s character even seems to have some of the environmentalist traits that Jeff Goldblum’s character did in “ID4”. There are even Bush and Cheney look-a-likes playing the President and Vice President in the film. Lets just say they act the parts. The special effects were really well done as they usually are in Emmerich’s films. The destruction of LA and NYC are great to watch. Ahh you got to love those destroy the city scenes in these movies.

There are a few minor problems I had with the film; of course these have more to do with reality verse fiction than anything else. The thing that bothered me the most was the sudden nature of what was happening. Could all this have taken place in such a short amount of time? I’m guessing not, but I’m not a scientist. There are also scenes where anything from buildings, flags, and even people freeze instantly because the temperature has dropped so far so quickly. The depiction of this happening is cool but would it actually happen? The other issue I had was I thought the film’s ending was a bit anticlimactic. Much like the buildup of a huge snowstorm or hurricane that kind of dies down, leaving people saying “that’s it?” so does this film’s ending. Don’t get me wrong. It’s a decent ending for what it was, it’s just not a huge blowout ending.

I think the most ironic thing about this film is what’s going on in the world as it’s released. There are major weather events taking place all over the world. Tornadoes in the Mid-West of the United States, floods and hurricanes in the Dominican Republic and just overall strange temperature fluctuations all over the world, both now and in the last year. I doubt people will make anything major about this film in terms of doing something about global warming, but it at least plants the seed for people to think about what is possible if we don’t do anything about this issue.

3 out of 4 Stars

No new posts 28-05-2004 18:47 Tajiri is offline Send an Email to Tajiri Search for Posts by Tajiri Add Tajiri to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen this yet as from the adverts I can see it being another film that relies more on its CGI then a plotline.

Much like the other disaster films of a similar nature....deep impact for one.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 28-05-2004 20:47 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Most films nowadays rely more on special effects than anything else. It's really kind of sad.

No new posts 28-05-2004 23:36 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
CondorRTB CondorRTB is a Male

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2002

spacer

it did rely more on cgi. one thing you will see in a roland emmerich movie though is landmarks getting destroyed. LA took the worst hit in this one Crying

No new posts 02-06-2004 15:57 CondorRTB is offline Send an Email to CondorRTB Search for Posts by CondorRTB Add CondorRTB to your Buddy List Add CondorRTB to your Contact List AIM Screenname: ClutchRTB YIM Screenname: rbaileysth
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

I wont say anything to anything!

No new posts 02-06-2004 18:51 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
SailorCallie SailorCallie is a Female
Just popping in

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-09-2005

spacer

To quote Comic Book Guy: Worst movie ever. Protest

No new posts 06-09-2005 21:38 SailorCallie is offline Send an Email to SailorCallie Homepage of SailorCallie Search for Posts by SailorCallie Add SailorCallie to your Buddy List Add SailorCallie to your Contact List AIM Screenname: MacrosMoon YIM Screenname: SailorCallie
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Tengu
I wont say anything to anything!

To say that you aren't saying anything isn't logical because if you aren't saying anything then you can't say that you aren't saying anything. Therefore you said something even though you didn't say a thing.

Makes sense?

No new posts 19-09-2005 22:47 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Tajiri
Even before “The Day After Tomorrow” was released it pissed some people off; but it wasn’t critics what were mad, it was the government. They didn’t like the fact that a film was coming out that dealt with global warming. They claim that it doesn’t exist while scientists are pulling their hair out trying to get people to listen. And to add a twist to all this NASA finally came out and said that there is a problem with global warming. Go figure. Any movie that can piss off the government is okay in my book.

“The Day After Tomorrow” is directed by Roland Emmerich who also directed “Independence Day”. So if you’ve seen “Independence Day” you might find “The Day After Tomorrow” vaguely familiar as the two follow a similar formula. You have a couple of scientists, played by Dennis Quaid and Ian Holm (Bilbo from LOTR), who the government won’t listen to about the impending doom until it’s too late. Instead of it being aliens this time it’s a drastic climate change. Dennis Quaid’s character even seems to have some of the environmentalist traits that Jeff Goldblum’s character did in “ID4”. There are even Bush and Cheney look-a-likes playing the President and Vice President in the film. Lets just say they act the parts. The special effects were really well done as they usually are in Emmerich’s films. The destruction of LA and NYC are great to watch. Ahh you got to love those destroy the city scenes in these movies.

There are a few minor problems I had with the film; of course these have more to do with reality verse fiction than anything else. The thing that bothered me the most was the sudden nature of what was happening. Could all this have taken place in such a short amount of time? I’m guessing not, but I’m not a scientist. There are also scenes where anything from buildings, flags, and even people freeze instantly because the temperature has dropped so far so quickly. The depiction of this happening is cool but would it actually happen? The other issue I had was I thought the film’s ending was a bit anticlimactic. Much like the buildup of a huge snowstorm or hurricane that kind of dies down, leaving people saying “that’s it?” so does this film’s ending. Don’t get me wrong. It’s a decent ending for what it was, it’s just not a huge blowout ending.

I think the most ironic thing about this film is what’s going on in the world as it’s released. There are major weather events taking place all over the world. Tornadoes in the Mid-West of the United States, floods and hurricanes in the Dominican Republic and just overall strange temperature fluctuations all over the world, both now and in the last year. I doubt people will make anything major about this film in terms of doing something about global warming, but it at least plants the seed for people to think about what is possible if we don’t do anything about this issue.

3 out of 4 Stars

I will agree with almost/all of what you said. I can't really remember much after several months.

I will say this though and please all Americans, I do apologise but I am glad that America didn't win.

If you watch ID4, you find that the Aliens attacked America first and then got they arses kicked by the American Air Force even though they have inferior weapons and technology and by the end of the film, you find that the US (again no offence) won the war.

I don't films that much. The only reason I like ID4 is to see buildings get blown up.

As for Day After Tommorow, I like how the most powerful country just couldn't do anything and some if not the majority of the population had to cross the border to Mexico even though the border was close. I was wondering what would happen to this "parellel" universe after the film.

In other words America didn't win at all, in fact, nobody lost or won anything at all.

No new posts 19-09-2005 22:54 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: