Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Berg Katse Week
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous  1  2  [3]  4  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Berg Katse Week
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I can remember a children's programme called The Clangers which only had whistling noises as a spoken language, were made by swanee whistles but yet nobody to my knowledge complained that they weren't speaking the Queen's English.

The same thing was said about Bill & Ben (another kids programme), that both Bill, Ben and Weed weren't speaking the Queen's English.

Personally, I think it's rascim against the Teletubbie's and Bill & Ben's (and Weed's) languages.

No new posts 01-10-2008 19:07 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

They are all sinister

No new posts 01-10-2008 19:33 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Metaliant
I can remember a children's programme called The Clangers which only had whistling noises as a spoken language, were made by swanee whistles but yet nobody to my knowledge complained that they weren't speaking the Queen's English.

The same thing was said about Bill & Ben (another kids programme), that both Bill, Ben and Weed weren't speaking the Queen's English.

Personally, I think it's rascim against the Teletubbie's and Bill & Ben's (and Weed's) languages.

I admit that I have a bit of a problem with the (relatively) new Sesame Street character, Elmo, for his use of deliberately simplistic grammar and apparent inability to use personal pronouns. When I was a kid, Kermit the Frog never spoke that way, and it just strikes me as being patronizing to the children that watch the show.

But then, I also have a problem with how copyright laws result in deliberate misspelling of words, like "kwik" for "quick" or "cheez" for "cheese."

I am a strange person...

No new posts 01-10-2008 21:15 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Well, at least you aren't the only stange person in a strange place.

No new posts 01-10-2008 22:47 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88

But then, I also have a problem with how copyright laws result in deliberate misspelling of words, like "kwik" for "quick" or "cheez" for "cheese."

I am a strange person...

ITA with you about the misspelling of words. How am I meant to teach 6 year old the correct way of spelling words if they see them spelled incorrectly all around them.

In some ways I also hate the misspellings and short forms used in text messages and IM's, but then I am starting to use them more and more so I do understand their use. On the other hand I KNOW how to spell them correctly already if I had to write a "formal" letter or paper.

Sorry, that is my personal rant over.

No new posts 01-10-2008 22:49 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Metaliant
Well, at least you aren't the only stange person in a strange place.

I knew there was a reason I like this place so much!

No new posts 02-10-2008 03:10 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer

ITA with you about the misspelling of words. How am I meant to teach 6 year old the correct way of spelling words if they see them spelled incorrectly all around them.

In some ways I also hate the misspellings and short forms used in text messages and IM's, but then I am starting to use them more and more so I do understand their use. On the other hand I KNOW how to spell them correctly already if I had to write a "formal" letter or paper.

Yes, you should have to learn all the correct spellings before you're allowed to use all the abbreviations and cute mispellings (like "teh" for "the" -what is that all about?). Granted, I cringe sometimes at all the typos I make when IMing -I swear I used to be at better typing fast, years ago...

No new posts 02-10-2008 03:15 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

Since I don't know when I'll get more free time, I figured I had better go back a week and tackle Katse while I could.

The planning for Gatchaman did not get into Katse all that much. Honestly, the only character that they describe there as the five Ninja Team members. Katse is mentioned mostly in conjunction with his connection to Governor X (Which you can find in the thread centering on him). About the only other reference to Katse come is the following:

"The Structure of Gallactor

Their headquarters is hidden deep underground within the Himalayan mountains. From here, they give orders to their cells in other nations. At the heart of the headquarters is Berg Katse, the man claiming to be the leader, as well as several hundred of his subordinates. The headquarters is completely automated. But, Berg Katse is only seen as the leader on the orders from the enigmatic Governor, who actually gives Berg Katse his orders. No one except Berg Katse is allowed to see the appearance of this Governor."

They also reference Katse in a section explaining the terms and phrases that are unusual or unique to the series, explaining that Berg Katse means "A wildcat" (Which, in German, would be a "bergkatze." Katse's name would likely we "Berg Katze" if Tatsunoko hadn't used "Berg Katse" in so many places. Getting technical, phonetically from Japanese, his name is "Berukku Kattsue," which is part of why I've been seen people spell his name as "Berk Katze" and "Velk Katze" on various occasions. So, yes, the spelling we use is actually not correct, but it is the accepted norm, as per Tatsunoko.

Anyway, the initial character profiles done up for the cast of the series had more information on Katse. Not a lot, since these were brief outlines, but still more. Heres what they had there:

"Berg Katse
Nationality: Unknown
Present Address: Uncertain
Family: Orphan
Academic Record: Science, medicine, abundant other scientific achievements
Licenses: Unlicensed for what he operates
Specialties: Disguising as anyone, male and female equally
Hobbies: Raises ferocious animals
Distinctive Feature: A beauty
Goals: Achieving world conquest
Personality: Cruel expression
Model: Kim Novak"

Much of this actually remained intact as the series went into production. Katse's age was changed to 30-years-old when the Gatchaman movie was produced, and we never saw Katse with any ferocious pets, but the rest of it fits pretty well. I'm sure that Kim Novak would be thrilled to know that Katse looks similar to her if she wore a "cruel expression" on her face.

Like the other Gallactor leaders, Katse was fleshed out more during the run of the series than he was before the show began. Like I did with Gel Sadra, here's an excerpt from the article I wrote on the Gallactor leaders, listing the known facts regarding Berg Katse:

"Berg Katse
(Character Voice: As Katse - Mikio Terashima; As the Lady Captain - Shima Sakai (#28), Hiroko Mori (#31), Toshiko Sawada (#'s 32, 33, 46, 70), Aiko Konoshima (#102))

Governor X may have been the leader of Gallactor, but it was Berg Katse that oversaw the day-to-day business of running the organization as Gallactor furthered its plans for world conquest. As a result, it was Katse who often found himself leading Gallactor troops in confrontations with the Science Ninja Team. When Gallactor first attacked publicly, Katse wore a variety of mission-specific uniforms (#'s 7, 10) or disguises (#3) during their attacks. As a result, the Science Ninja Team did not see Katse in his usual garb until their third encounter with him (#8).

While Katse usually relied on his troops to do his fighting for him, he was not without skill in hand-to-hand combat (#3). He also carried a pistol (#'s 21, 53, 70, among others), which he could shoot with deadly accuracy (#53). As a last ditch escape tool, Katse also carried a small explosive hidden in his mouth (#'s 53, 93). When all else failed, Katse showed great skill in finding his way to a handy escape hatch (#'s 8, 22, 93, among others) or escape craft (#'s 16, 22, 45, 63, 76, 100, among numerous others). Over time, Katse managed to escape seemingly inescapable traps (#28) and survived the unsurvivable (#'s 35, 94).

Not all of Katses talents were related to combat or survival. Katse possessed surgical skills, which he put to use creating Gallactor's "remodeled humans" (#14). Katse had some musical ability as well, as he has been seen playing the flute (#24). He also demonstrated an interest in chess (#92), and partook of the occasional glass of wine (#'s 64, 92, 93), and of the occasional cigarette (#'s 46, 70, 99).

Katse held no sympathy for those working under him, and he would readily sacrifice any of them without a second thought (#'s 53, 60, 65, 91, 97, among others). He strictly enforced Gallactor's prime rules: that no one can fail Gallactor, leave Gallactor, or betray Gallactor without death as their punishment (#'s 2, 6, 27, 46, 70, among others). As a result, it was Katse who ordered Guiseppe Asakura and his family killed (#81).

Katse's personal vehicle was the starfish-shaped mecha, "Devil Star." This vehicle and its attached jet craft were utilized as a launching point for Gallactor missions (#'s 31, 39), a means of transportation (#'s 67, 99), and as a means of escape (#'s 19, 68, 85, 97, 101), depending on the need of the moment.

Exactly where Berg Katse was born is unknown, only that it was a neutral country, uninvolved with war. Berg Katse was supposed to be born as male and female twins. This was changed when Governor X used his power to merge them into one being, so that a single mutant was born instead of normal twins. Because of the merging of two sets of brain cells, the child had a genius IQ of 280. A side-effect was that the child would uncontrollably change genders, male-to-female, female-to-male, once a year. Fearing that this situation would be discovered by the outside world, Berg Katse was forced to move every year to a new location and a new school (#102). Katse's father was involved in the import/export business, which provided an excuse for these frequent moves (#88).

As a young adult, the female Katse attended college at the St. Louis School. While there, her intelligence made a lasting impression on one of her teachers, Professor Howard. At a conference, Professor Howard met Professor Hume, an instructor from the school Katse attended as a male. Professor Howard was surprised when Professor Hume described his student as a below average student, and as a male. Professor Howard dismissed the incident, not realizing the secret he had stumbled upon. After Katse finished school, fires destroyed almost all of Katse's records at both schools (#88).

Exactly when Katse first encountered Governor X and joined Gallactor was not revealed. He was 30-years-old ("Gatchaman" feature film), and had been part of the organization for at least 10 years (#81). X thought of Katse as his "dear subordinate," and needed Katse to act as his arms and legs (#102). There were several occasions where X took steps to insure that Katse was not captured by the Science Ninja Team (#'s 71, 73, 102). Katse constantly sought approval from Governor X, though X would rarely give Katse praise, even when his missions met with success (#'s 54, 93).

Katse finally gained control over his gender switches (#102), and this ability became invaluable in helping Katse become a master of disguise. Using this talent, Katse could disguise himself to look like anyone, young or old, male or female. He was so skilled that he could easily fool the closest friends and families of those he was disguised as (#'s 3, 43, 61, 68, 97, among others). One of Katse's most frequent guises was that of Gallactor's Lady Captain. As this lady, Katse could move unmasked on missions (#'s 29, 31, 70, 102, among others). Despite numerous encounters between the Science Ninja Team and the Lady Captain, they did not quite realize the connection between her and Katse for quite some time (#88). Despite his obvious loyalty to Governor X, when Katse found out that X had betrayed him and was intending to destroy the Earth, Katse's final words to X were his wish that he had been born a normal human instead of a mutant. Assuming that the end of the world was at hand, Katse opted to end his own life, and committed suicide by leaping into a pool of lava (#105)."

One other item of note regarding Katse is his uniform. As I've mentioned in the past, the uniform worn by the Gallactor Commander from the first two episodes of the series was originally designed for Berg Katse. For unknown reasons, this uniform was changed fairly close to the start of production, and there are several model sheets and design drawings of that costume with Katses name on them. To help promote and generate interest in the premiere of the series, a number of Gatchaman comic stories appeared in various comics published by Shogakukan. In several of the earliest stories, they also show Katse in that costume, showing that the change was done too late to be reflected in the comics.

Anyway, I hope this satisfies your Katse cravings.

James

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 02-10-2008 at 20:35.
No new posts 02-10-2008 03:25 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:

I too get quite tired of the shorthand people insist on using, in particular on the internet (I'd probably feel the same way about them appearing in instant messaging as well, if my cell phone was set up to receive them). Call me old fashioned, and I know it's just personal tastes, but they rub me wrong. You'll also notice how infrequently you see any of them appear in anything I write...

James

No new posts 02-10-2008 03:33 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

spacer

And we can forget about smilies.

Katse hasnt a licence for hir vehicles? How do you get a licence for a mech anyway??

I never knew s/he raised ferrets, lapdogs or parrots either.

No new posts 02-10-2008 08:15 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
saturn saturn is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

Registration Date: 21-05-2008

spacer

Thank you so much for your thorough explanations on Berg Katse, James. They have definitely answered most of my curiosities about Katse. You are awesome, James. Bowdown 2

No new posts 02-10-2008 08:19 saturn is offline Send an Email to saturn Search for Posts by saturn Add saturn to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

quote:
cute mispellings (like "teh" for "the" -what is that all about?)

That would be me and my typos... Blushing

No new posts 02-10-2008 13:20 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

That's such a terrific compilation of information about Katse, James! I really appreciate all of the effort you went through to get everything together for us. The episode number references are especially appeciated.

I only have one problem. I'm writing a fic where I assumed Katse's age was 34. I think I got that idea from the unofficial birthdays... and I KNOW that your information is correct, so obviously I'm the one who's wrong. Sigh. Certainly not your problem.

On a side note, I apologize if my abbreviations have bothered you. I'm just lazy and I make WAY too many typos... Hiding

No new posts 02-10-2008 13:30 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Ladygalactor777 Ladygalactor777 is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-08-2008

spacer

KATSE RULZS!
Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol

No new posts 02-10-2008 15:57 Ladygalactor777 is offline Send an Email to Ladygalactor777 Search for Posts by Ladygalactor777 Add Ladygalactor777 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
quote:

I am a strange person...

I do admit using shorthand for texting but that's only because it's quicker for texting, while I do try to spell the words properly on anything else, including the various forums and groups online that I am a member of.

But "teh" is another way in spelling "the"? Why? It's just plain stupid.

No new posts 02-10-2008 18:54 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Tengu

Katse hasnt a licence for hir vehicles? How do you get a licence for a mech anyway??

I never knew s/he raised ferrets, lapdogs or parrots either.

Ferrrets are cuddly creatures.

Does this mean that the Galactor Goons who drive the mechs don't have any formal training in driving and flying the vehicles and what about the MOT (Ministry Of Transport) tests?

I am presuming that there's no insurance for the Mechs or if there is then it's not worth having, since they keep being blown up by those 5 pesky teenagers (and in BOTP universe their robot tin can.)

No new posts 02-10-2008 18:58 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

spacer

ferrets are cuddly when not biting (which is most of the time)

Mechs dont need a MOT, being under 3 years old.

Im not sure of the insurance

No new posts 02-10-2008 19:04 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ferret racing can be quite funny.

No new posts 02-10-2008 19:59 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

I thought I would mention.

Today is Berg Katse's BIRTHDAY!!!

Another year older but I do not think any wiser. Laugh

No new posts 03-10-2008 13:44 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

spacer

And I hear s/hes pletting a comeback. loopy

Happy birthday Katse

No new posts 03-10-2008 14:05 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
« previous  1  2  [3]  4  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): « previous  1  2  [3]  4  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: