Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Anime & Cartoons » Japanese, Anyone?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Japanese, Anyone?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

So.... are you using that smilie to say that you love all of us, Tim? Smooch2

No new posts 12-10-2007 13:32 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Sosai X Sosai X is a Male
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
So.... are you using that smilie to say that you love all of us, Tim? Smooch2

hai, watashi wa anatagata ni aishimasu.
further translation: Yes, I love you all.

Animeflower Animeparty Anime Smooch

*grin*

Cheers,
Tim

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sosai X on 14-10-2007 at 15:50.
No new posts 12-10-2007 16:51 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

That's quite the big smilie, but much appreciated! Luvu3

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 12-10-2007 at 17:28.
No new posts 12-10-2007 17:27 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

This is great! Japanese lessons and phrases.

Thank you!

No new posts 12-10-2007 18:06 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

More Japanese Links...

Gender differences in the Japanese Language:
Wikipedia Article

Here's a cool Flash program to help you learn Hiragana and Katakana:
http://www.dragonmedia.us/programs/kana.swf

Japanese Holidays:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2062.html

Since everyone seems to love their smut around here... here is Japanese Sex Slang (warning, not for the faint of heart):
http://www.asstr.org/~cobalt_jade/INFO/Japslang.html

That should do it for now. Devil2

Cheers,
Tim

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Sosai X on 14-10-2007 at 15:53.
No new posts 13-10-2007 02:47 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

spacer

Another keeper link. I could just hear some of the smutty ones coming out of the Condor's mouth! Cheeky

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 13-10-2007 15:42 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

lol Tim you know us so well

No new posts 13-10-2007 17:05 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

spacer

I've been meaning to ask this for a while and keep forgetting...

The Japanese translation of okay is yoshi (sounds like it's pronounced 'yosha'), But alot of times in the Gatch eps it sounds like they're saying "yosh". Is yosh an abbreviation of yoshi, or is it a completely different word/meaning??

I know that probably seems silly to ask, but it's just one of those "need to know" things for me! Looking

Hinotori

No new posts 20-10-2007 10:30 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Japanese does have silent vowels (it depends on the sounds that proceed and follow the vowel in question). For instance the verb "to be/is" is written as desu but is pronounced dess. 'gozaimasu' is pronounced 'gozaimass'. The verb 'suki' (meaning to like) is pronounced as 'ski'.

The i in some words will be dropped as well. For example, 'ashita' is pronounced 'ash-ta'. It is very possible that 'Yoshi' is being pronounced like 'Yosh'. I'll have to ask my Japanese friend when I next talk to her to see for sure (maybe on Monday if she is available).

Can you tell me which episode exactly of Gatchaman did you hear them say yoshi? I can listen to it for myself and see what my ear picks up (I have the whole original Gatchaman in Japanese on vhs tape).

One of the things that I have done recently to help my studies is I bought a bunch of Japanese kid's magazines that have puzzles and various games to help learn the language. I should scan some of the pages and post them here. Wink

Cheers,
Tim

No new posts 20-10-2007 11:28 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

spacer

Tim, you're awesome!! You're so knowledgeable about this. I'm hoping I'll soon be able to put a little more time and effort into learning more about the language. It's all so very interesting to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Sosai X
The i in some words will be dropped as well. For example, 'ashita' is pronounced 'ash-ta'. It is very possible that 'Yoshi' is being pronounced like 'Yosh'. I'll have to ask my Japanese friend when I next talk to her to see for sure (maybe on Monday if she is available).

This makes sense (not the "sometimes the i will dropped" thing, but hey, we have the same thing in the English language!) But it could be that the i is being dropped.

They use "yosh" or "yoshi" in quite a number of eps. I think everyone uses it (I know Katse and the team do) when they're saying "OK" or "allright". I was just watching eps 73 and 74, which are the ones that reminded me to ask, but I think just about any of the eps would do.

Thanks Tim!!

Hinotori

No new posts 21-10-2007 14:07 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Hinotori
Tim, you're awesome!! You're so knowledgeable about this. I'm hoping I'll soon be able to put a little more time and effort into learning more about the language. It's all so very interesting to me.

I only know a little bit about the Japanese language. I still have a lot to learn yet. Having access to native speakers of the language helps a lot as well. The books aren't always right (or use outdated phrases) and a native speaker will let you know what's what. Wink

quote:
This makes sense (not the "sometimes the i will dropped" thing, but hey, we have the same thing in the English language!) But it could be that the i is being dropped.

They use "yosh" or "yoshi" in quite a number of eps. I think everyone uses it (I know Katse and the team do) when they're saying "OK" or "allright". I was just watching eps 73 and 74, which are the ones that reminded me to ask, but I think just about any of the eps would do.

Thanks Tim!!

No problem, Tori. I asked one of my friends today about the word Yoshi and she said it is pronounced as Yosh (long o sound). I was also watching Gatchaman earlier and sure enough, I heard Ken say it.

A quick note... Don't confuse yoshi with daijoubu. Both mean okay/alright but in different contexts. Daijoubu refers to someone's health (as in 'are you okay?').

Cheers,
Tim

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sosai X on 21-10-2007 at 20:00.
No new posts 21-10-2007 19:59 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Here are some scans from the Japanese kid's magazine that I bought second hand at my local Japanese store, MITS (note: website is in Japanese).

All images are links to much larger versions.

Front Cover (2004 Christmas Issue):

Sample Pages:

Back Cover (Pictures of Christmas Cakes):

Christmas in Japan is a bit different than in the West. Sure it has a lot of the same trappings but for teenagers/adults, Christmas is more like Valentine's Day. Gifts are exchanged between lovers. You can learn more here:

Christmas In Japan

Cheers,
Tim

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Sosai X on 21-10-2007 at 20:10.
No new posts 21-10-2007 20:06 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

quote:

Thanks Tim!!

No problem, Tori. I asked one of my friends today about the word Yoshi and she said it is pronounced as Yosh (long o sound). I was also watching Gatchaman earlier and sure enough, I heard Ken say it.

Ahhh, now I can sleep at night! Thanks Tim!
Animejoy

Hinotori

No new posts 22-10-2007 16:29 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

Thanks Tim! All these links are great! They'll keep me busy for a while!

No new posts 23-10-2007 12:03 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm still giggling at the thoguht of Christmas and Valentine's Day mixed together. Now THERE'S an interesting fic idea!

But I already have a Christmas fic in the works. Darn it...

No new posts 23-10-2007 13:25 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I still have fond memories of the last Christmas fic.

Cheers,
Tim

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sosai X on 27-10-2007 at 00:26.
No new posts 27-10-2007 00:25 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

And I have quite the fondness for that picture!

Hey, Tim, can I use it in the fic?

No new posts 27-10-2007 00:34 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
quote:

And I have quite the fondness for that picture!

Hey, Tim, can I use it in the fic?

Of course you can! I would be honoured to have it in such good company.

Cheers,
Tim

No new posts 27-10-2007 00:40 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

quote:

Bwahahahaha!!pound I haven't seen that one in a while, Tim! Yes, that one most certainly needs a place of honor in the Christmas fic!! That was a fun fic to plan out! I don't know when I've laughed so hard...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 27-10-2007 at 01:24.
No new posts 27-10-2007 01:21 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Done!

No new posts 27-10-2007 01:23 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: