Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » The third anvil
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The third anvil
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

My thoughts are with you also, Tengu. A big hug, and I think you did the right thing. Huggles

No new posts 11-05-2012 21:17 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hug Huggles

Sorry for both your losses. I really don't know what to say that the others have not.

No new posts 11-05-2012 22:37 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Tengu, I'm sorry about your loss -- you did just what was needed.

Everyone, thank you so much for you kind thoughts and words. I can't tell you how much you've helped me get over the shock and get through the turmoil of Dad's sudden death.

On Thursday night, the nurse had checked his vital signs, and they were all right. Then, about 10 minutes later, he was gone. It was as if he said, "Heck with this, I'm done."

When the call came ... it wasn't quite like what you'd see on tv. I spent as much time trying to comfort the nurse as she was doing the same for me. Everybody who'd cared for him had come to really like him -- even when he was in his most severe "crotchety old man" mood, there was something about him that made people laugh.

Visitation and the memorial service will be Wednesday. (A bit of being a bullheaded bitch on my part -- he just wanted to be cremated and then buried at sea without any type of memorial. He thought nobody would show up, but I'm going to prove him wrong one last time.) We're seeing if the navy will give him a burial at the Punchbowl in Hawaii (I hope so -- he wanted his remains to be buried in the Pacific, and he loved the time he was stationed at Pearl Harbor.)

In the meantime, my brother and sister-in-law have been "helping" clean out the house. (I say "helping " because I haven't been able to do nearly as much as they have -- I have almost none of the endurance that I had in my pre-wheelchair days. I'm not sure they understand that.) One of the downsides to Dad being gone is that I can't afford the house on my own. So...

I might not be posting as much during the next few days, but I'll be sure to check in at least once a day, and I'll keep my commitment to the gift exchange. (I have to do something to keep my tiny bit of sanity, after all!)

Again, thank you all for what you've done. I consider you a great blessing in my life.

No new posts 13-05-2012 04:23 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

*hugs* EW ... I hope the Navy will agree. I was able to go to the military memorial for my grandfather (a Marine) and it was quite touching.

I hope you can find living arrangements that you like ...

Huggles

No new posts 13-05-2012 04:35 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

EW, my thoughts are with you as you go through this difficult transition. Huggles

No new posts 13-05-2012 14:14 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer

Hugs, EW, thanks for letting us know how you are doing. We were worried. You're in my thoughts & prayers.

P.S. Hugs to Tengu too.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jublke on 13-05-2012 at 14:52.
No new posts 13-05-2012 14:51 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

I hope you find good supportive living arrangments.

Im leaving home soon too, going to Uni (actualy a degree course at a college)

But I need a certain amount of support, and finding it might be hard.

the only other way would be to live so simply I would need as little as possible.

(I am thinking of getting a caravan)

No new posts 13-05-2012 18:34 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Well, the memorial service was this afternoon. The only hitch was that Dad's doctor didn't sign the death certificate until today, so the remains weren't there because the law states that the crematorium has to wait 48 hours after the certificate is signed before it can do its job. This upset my brother for a couple of minutes, but he let it go after he muttered a few quips. It didn't bother me -- I doubt if God would hold this against Dad. (And I'm sure this will be turned into a joke about him being so against us having a memorial service for him that he didn't even show up...)

The nondenominational minister the funeral director provided was quite good -- she was able to describe the kind of man Dad was after a couple of brief conversations earlier in the week. (Dad was raised as a Wesleyan Methodist, married into a German/Irish Catholic family, and then decided he wasn't into organized religion. I called him a "free agent".)

Now come the more laborious jobs connected with the estate being in probate, etc. I just hope I'm not too drained once it's all finally over....

No new posts 17-05-2012 00:31 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

I think as long as you can still find your sense of humor, you're doing pretty well. Just don't be afraid to lean on people when you need to.

No new posts 17-05-2012 00:46 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: