Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Chat » I prefer BotP to Gatchaman - and some reasons why
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page I prefer BotP to Gatchaman - and some reasons why
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
AllentownDarkWater AllentownDarkWater is a Male
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-01-2010

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
I'm with Maddy. I prefer dubs, because I find if I'm reading the subs, then I'm missing a lot of the action on the screen.

I feel the same way.

No new posts 25-04-2010 01:59 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I go back and forth between the dubbed and subbed versions. I like to hear the Japanese actors (even if I can't understand the language) and I like to compare the subs' translation to the dubbed dialogue but it does require a lot more focus, having to keep your eyes on the bottom of the screen all the time!

No new posts 25-04-2010 05:33 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

When I can I like to watch anime with subtitles ... I find myself closer to a character if I hear the true nature of the emotions that have to be portrayed, these emphasised also vocally. And Japanese know so much how to do this, especially when drama is involved! I do find it tricky to manage to watch all the action at the same time I'm reading the subtitles, though.

No new posts 25-04-2010 05:50 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Translating dialogue and then dubbing it means addressing a number of problems:

1. Matching mouth-flaps;

2. Translating the MEANING of the line, not necessarily the words (unless you really, really like Engrish);

3. Getting the emotion right.

ADV did, it seemed to me, a fairly decent job overall, given that the translators had to figure out what scientific concepts were being (ab)used, determine the English equivalents (and find the one that fit best) -- and that was in addition to making certain that they managed 1-3.

I like using subs because I've been curious about names or word use, and I get a kick out of discovering that a movie (anime or live) used English when they had perfectly good Japanese words, or that some terms are borrowed wholesale. (And sometimes, the terms sound even better when pronounced in the Japanese manner. 'Test pilot' sounds even more awesome when spoken with the accent.)

BotP and Gatchaman made the characters different, although it's plain that the characterizations of Mark and Jason were intended to fulfill certain expectations that Action for Children's Television had about characters. Mark was kept from being Mr. Perfect by the imperfections of Ken. (Imagine the sort of boring perfect character that would have been created had they made BotP from scratch!) And Jason never seemed like such a complainer, but he was a bit eager to push that red button or to kick some ass. Not as homicidal as Joe, but you could see he was not allowed to be badass.

No new posts 25-04-2010 11:39 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
I go back and forth between the dubbed and subbed versions. I like to hear the Japanese actors (even if I can't understand the language) and I like to compare the subs' translation to the dubbed dialogue but it does require a lot more focus, having to keep your eyes on the bottom of the screen all the time!

I do the same thing, Lb! Sometimes the subs have extra little "suggestions" of a relationship between Ken and Jun! *grin*

BOTP will always be my first love. And I still crush on Mark even after all these years... I loved the idea that he was the perfect hero when I watched years ago.

However, Ken is a much more realistic character with all of his flaws. After watching Gatchaman...the continuous storyline (that actually made sense) and the flawed, more developed characters had more appeal to me.

I still love BOTP, though, and I love to read a good fic using any of the story versions.

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 25-04-2010 11:41 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: