Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Earthquake!!!!!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Earthquake!!!!!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Damn thing woke me and my family up Big Grin

Though technically I was half awake however it certainly shook the house and we are in the Midlands.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 28-02-2008 22:25 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Which part of the Midlands you live Cep? In the west and south of the midlands, nobody was bothered by it as they were asleep.

No new posts 28-02-2008 22:53 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
People did die in that one...Newcastle NSW I was talking about just in case...thats right FB you're married to an Aussie..

Did you hear about the one that hit NZ a few months ago, that one did a bit of damage.

Is that what happens do you think, one Earthquake set off a chain reaction..

I vaguely remember seeing a TV show about the "Ring of Fire" around the Pacific...earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis...I believe they said it is possible that large volcanic eruptions & earthquakes can set off a chain reaction. Kind of like the ripple effect with tsunamis, only the energy waves go through the ground.

I recall when Mt. St. Helen blew that there was a general increase in volcanic activity all along the western coast. I think the geologists were expecting a major eruption but just not there or the way Mt. St. Helen uncorked herself.

No new posts 29-02-2008 12:49 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Here's an interesting site....National Earthquake Information Center

and one of the links showing the Latest earthquakes in the world

No new posts 29-02-2008 14:10 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by kimiko
Here's an interesting site....National Earthquake Information Center

and one of the links showing the Latest earthquakes in the world

Yep, that was us. Earthquake

No new posts 29-02-2008 14:56 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

And she's back from a 2 hour Google Tangent....
I get so distracted sometimes...but at least I was getting my "learn-on"...

Some neato links...

U.S. Geological Survey

Volcano Stuff

This Dynamic Planet Had fun with this viewer...shows volcanoes, locations of earthquakes, continental plates, meteorite hits etc.

Today in Earthquake History Find out what disaster(s) happened on your birthday!

Earthquake Facts

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by kimiko on 29-02-2008 at 16:58.
No new posts 29-02-2008 16:49 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Sounds like you had fun doing some learning today Kimi.

Are there any interesting facts that stand out that you would care to share?

No new posts 29-02-2008 17:37 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

I am just thankful that no one was killed in it.

No new posts 29-02-2008 18:00 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

From the Earthquake Facts site I mentioned:

"Although both are sea waves, a tsunami and a tidal wave are two different unrelated phenomenona. A tidal wave is a shallow water wave caused by the gravitational interactions between the Sun, Moon, and Earth. A tsunami is a sea wave caused by an underwater earthquake or landslide (usually triggered by an earthquake) displacing the ocean water."

No new posts 29-02-2008 19:27 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Either way, I am glad I am living in the Midlands and not at the coast.

No new posts 29-02-2008 22:22 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Just a blurb I was reading on one of those sites:

July 18, 1635 Freshwater, Isle of Wight, England

Robert Hooke born.
In 1676, the English physicist Robert Hooke published The True Theory of Elasticity or Springiness with the anagram CEIIOSSOTTUU on the title page. The solution to the puzzle is "ut tensio, sic vis" or "as the extension, so is the force." Today we state this as "stress is proportional to strain" and call this Hooke's Law. This is the first fundamental mathematical formulation in modern Seismology.

I just thought of you Springie...now is that a mantra or what? WAX ON...WAX OFF BABY!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by kimiko on 01-03-2008 at 16:58.
No new posts 01-03-2008 16:49 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Woohoo! I have my own theory! So, there is such a thing as "springiness"? Guess I am on the top end of that scale, huh?

Thanks for sharing, baybee...I feel so intelligent now...hmmmm... Dr. Springie, I presume...Teacher

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 01-03-2008 17:04 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

August 22, 1949 Queen Charlotte Island

8.1 Canada's largest historic earthquake since 1700.
The shaking was so severe on the Queen Charlotte Islands that cows were knocked off their feet , and a geologist with the Geological Survey of Canada working on the north end of Graham Island could not stand up. Chimneys toppled, and an oil tank at Cumshewa Inlet collapsed. In Terrace, on the adjacent mainland, cars were bounced around, and standing on the street was described as "like being on the heaving deck of a ship at sea". In Prince Rupert, windows were shattered and buildings swayed.

Canada's largest historic earthquake and the first they mention is cows falling over???

*wondering just how much shaking was needed and how many drunken rednecks would be needed to equal that force?*

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by kimiko on 01-03-2008 at 18:16.
No new posts 01-03-2008 18:15 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

Kimi you seem to be particularly interested in this subject. Are you a Science lover or is it more environment based?

No new posts 01-03-2008 20:03 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I am totally fascinated by natural phenomena as you can tell. I enjoyed science in general in school but I had trouble with the math.

My inner Swallow coming out I guess...

No new posts 01-03-2008 20:40 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Kimi, that sounds so much like me.

I love learning and reading about earthquakes, volcanoes, huricanes, tsunami's etc. It fascinates me and I think it would be fun to experience them to a small extent, as long as my life was not put in danger or I could get away when ever I wanted too. *transporter anyone*

No new posts 01-03-2008 21:33 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
I love learning and reading about earthquakes, volcanoes, huricanes, tsunami's etc. It fascinates me and I think it would be fun to experience them to a small extent, as long as my life was not put in danger or I could get away when ever I wanted too. *transporter anyone*

The hurricanes are all yours, CD!! I lived through 6 of them (not to mention the countless number of tropical storms) when I lived in Florida, and I am 100% done with it! I seriously could have lived the rest of my life without knowing Charley, Frances, Jeanne, Dennis, Ophelia, or Wilma on a personal basis.

My first couple of tropical storms were kinda neat - heck, I'd been through worse Nor'easters than those storms were! But then Charley came and it was a whole different story. Charley was supposed to hit Tampa (west coast of FL, opposite of where I was), but then it curved and hit Punta Gorda, cut across the state, and followed I4 to my area... Luckily I was a little farther north, and Charley lost some of his impact by the time it made it across the state (I think Charey was a Category 1 by the time it made it to our area). But wow the destruction it left in it's path! If you drive I4 from Daytona Beach to Orlando, you'll still see all the trees bent over. That's not they way they grew, that was from Charley... Personally, I lucked out on that storm... I only lost power for 28 hours. But the street behind mine lost power for almost 3 weeks.

Frances was a pain in the butt, because it stalled out off the coast of South Florida for 9 hours.... I was home from work (hurricane day - which aren't nearly as fun as snow days!), hunkered down and bored out of my mind before the storm even hit. Then I was stuck inside for another day until the stupid thing cleared....

But minus the howling winds, torrential downpours, threats of tornadoes (which are most likely to occur in the northeastern quadrant of a hurricane, which for almost all them was exactly where I was!), loss of power, the hot and humid conditions, blown off shingles from the roofs, mounds of vegetation debris, and constant worry that those darn pine trees are gonna fall and land on your house, yeah, they're just great... Evil

And I haven't even mentioned all the pre-storm prep and post-storm clean-up.... But I did learn alot about them (do's and don'ts) and did develop some nifty tricks for preparing for them!

BTW, I find it very interesting that Florida hadn't been hit with so many hurricanes in successive 2 seasons before I moved there, and that they haven't been hit by a single hurricane since I left.... Think someone was trying to tell me something???? Big Grin

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 02-03-2008 16:51 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

The shaking was so severe on the Queen Charlotte Islands that cows were knocked off their feet , and a geologist with the Geological Survey of Canada working on the north end of Graham Island could not stand up.

Canada's largest historic earthquake and the first they mention is cows falling over???

*wondering just how much shaking was needed and how many drunken rednecks would be needed to equal that force?*

I feel sorry for the cows, probably wondering what was going on. But why just cows, what about the other 4 legged animals?

No new posts 02-03-2008 17:44 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Hinotori

But minus the howling winds, torrential downpours, threats of tornadoes (which are most likely to occur in the northeastern quadrant of a hurricane, which for almost all them was exactly where I was!), loss of power, the hot and humid conditions, blown off shingles from the roofs, mounds of vegetation debris, and constant worry that those darn pine trees are gonna fall and land on your house, yeah, they're just great... Evil

And I haven't even mentioned all the pre-storm prep and post-storm clean-up.... But I did learn alot about them (do's and don'ts) and did develop some nifty tricks for preparing for them!

BTW, I find it very interesting that Florida hadn't been hit with so many hurricanes in successive 2 seasons before I moved there, and that they haven't been hit by a single hurricane since I left.... Think someone was trying to tell me something???? Big Grin

AWWWWW! Poor Hino. I have heard huricanes can be bad.

Why do you think I would like a *transporter?* poof I am there for a few hours get to experience the howling winds and the down pores for a few hours and then *pop out* and not have to worry about property damage or getting bored, or the aftermath of clean up.

Same with an erthquake, I would love to "see" the ground as it rolls along and hear the sound it makes but the clean up, heart break of losing my home, injuries etc. I would want to get away from that.

Volcanoe, tsunami, tornadoe, same thing if there was anyway I could see it without the personal or human loss I would love to. But I think I am happy to stay right were I am with the few icestorms that come through or the vertical wind shears that blow through the neighbourhood and knock down trees. I am safe and healthy where I am. amen

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 02-03-2008 at 18:47.
No new posts 02-03-2008 18:46 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Metaliant
quote:

The shaking was so severe on the Queen Charlotte Islands that cows were knocked off their feet , and a geologist with the Geological Survey of Canada working on the north end of Graham Island could not stand up.

I feel sorry for the cows, probably wondering what was going on. But why just cows, what about the other 4 legged animals?

Cows are top heavy, cats and dogs would know to get low for safety. Horses? Maybe there are no horses on the Queen Charlotte Islands, or were not at the time. As for sheep and pigs, Canada is big on dairy farming not sheep or pigs.

Besides which myth is it that says cows can not get up once they are tipped over on their side? (We have stories of drunken high school students going out and tipping over cattle in their fields at night) Horses can get up when they are placed on their sides. Farmers probably did not see the horses that were knocked over they only saw their cattle.

No new posts 02-03-2008 18:53 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: