Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Olympic Fever
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Olympic Fever
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer
Olympic Fever Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Anyone else excited for the Olympics? I wrote a fanfic to celebrate:

http://www.gatchfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=1407

What's your favorite sport to watch? I love diving and gymnastics.

Olympic Olympic Olympic Olympic

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jublke on 27-07-2012 at 17:12.
No new posts 27-07-2012 17:10 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Gymnastics is one of my favorites too. For the winter I'm now partial to ski jump, after spending a lot of time there while volunteering for 2010.

No new posts 27-07-2012 20:10 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Oddly enough for being a sports enthusiast, I never really got into the Olympics. However, there are events that I do enjoy watching more than others: basketball, volleyball, baseball/softball (I know, baseball is no longer an Olympic sport, not sure about softball), and synchronized swimming (which I tried in high school and is really fun, I might have even been able to get good at it if I had more instruction than the two weeks we got to do it in PE).

No new posts 27-07-2012 20:22 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

With my in-laws living outside of Atlanta, we got to attend several of the 1996 Summer Olympic events there and had a ball. I'd love to go to it again and am looking forward to watching as much as I can.

No new posts 27-07-2012 21:50 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Like you Julie, I too enjoy watching the diving as well as the swimming. And I have always enjoyed watching the men's gymnastics, especially the floor and bars routines.

Another sport I try to watch, but does not appear to be shown much is the equestrian eventing (dressage, jumping and cross country).

No new posts 27-07-2012 21:54 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

"I'm feeling very Olympic today"Sanka Coffie Cool Runnings

my sister and I are watching the opening ceremony now (re-play) and trying not to cringe to much at the Australian Presenters miss-pronunciation of words, names and nationality.

Australian team has just walked in to the stadium.
Mosh
"I come from a land down under, where women glow and men plunder, can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder, you better run, you better take cover..."

No new posts 28-07-2012 05:44 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
Like you Julie, I too enjoy watching the diving as well as the swimming. And I have always enjoyed watching the men's gymnastics, especially the floor and bars routines.

Another sport I try to watch, but does not appear to be shown much is the equestrian eventing (dressage, jumping and cross country).

I like to watch all those too. I'm actually currently in the process of trying to learn how to do proper flip turns while swimming -which is hard for me because I'm not all that coordinated! Olympic swimmers make it look so easy...

The equestrian stuff might get a little more coverage this year, as Prince William's cousin, Zara, is on the UK equestrian team, and royalty has a way of attracting media attention...

FWIW, the equestrian events are one of the very few where men and women compete, individually, against each other!

No new posts 28-07-2012 17:34 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Victoria Victoria is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-10-2011

spacer

I'll be watching gymnastics as well. And perhaps some equestrian competitions and shooting. Those awesome wellies and umbrellas our team wore for the opening ceremony definitely raised my interest. I hope they'll bring some gold back to Prague. Clap cheerleader2 Clap cheerleader2

My fanart is here

No new posts 28-07-2012 17:48 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

yell About 10 minutes into the opening ceremony, lightning struck a transformer, and power was out for about 15 1/2 hours! So unfair! censored

No new posts 28-07-2012 18:49 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

That sucks, EW.

So far I've watched bicycling, women's basketball, archery, mens and womens swimming and women's volleyball.

That's it for today. I can only take so much sports.

No new posts 29-07-2012 00:31 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

I watched the women's foil last night - surprisingly exciting (I've never watched foil before!). Looking forward to the golf - for the first time it's in the Olympics.

P.S. I just saw today's prompt - foil!

No new posts 29-07-2012 18:07 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Daniella T
I watched the women's foil last night - surprisingly exciting (I've never watched foil before!). Looking forward to the golf - for the first time it's in the Olympics.

P.S. I just saw today's prompt - foil!

Daniella, that is completely ironic!

I was looking over the list of anonymous contributions that I have and that one just jumped out at me for some reason.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here at my computer wondering if I'm the only one who hasn't seen any events. But then I don't have TV. Well, I do have a TV, several, but no cable, no dish/satellite, not even antenna/broadcast (nothing reaches where I'm at except a lot of static).

No new posts 29-07-2012 18:13 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

No, Ame, you're not the only one who hasn't seen any events, I haven't either and I have two sets I could watch them on.....

No new posts 29-07-2012 18:22 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Well ladies, since this has been advertised as the first olympics of the "digital age" - highly blogged, tweeted about - I have also heard several of my friends saying they are going to have little windows on their computers open so they can continuously watch during the work day.

I am sure, if you were really interested, you could do the same thing. I did watch a little on TV yesterday morning but since then I have not really been paying attention.

Daniella, do you mean you are looking forward to golf being part of the Olympics next summer games? I don't think it is a event for this year.

No new posts 29-07-2012 19:15 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
Daniella, do you mean you are looking forward to golf being part of the Olympics next summer games? I don't think it is a event for this year.

You're right, CD! I thought it was these Olympics, but I just checked the schedule again, no golf. Doesn't matter, lots of other goodies!!!

No new posts 31-07-2012 18:01 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

If I recall, they sometimes "demo" sports that are trying to get official Olympic status -could be that that's what's going on at these Olympics? No shortage of golf courses, I am sure, in England. Could be a tricky thing for some countries, I suppose. If there were Olympic golf at the 2016 games in Rio, I wonder if they'd have a golf course handy.

No new posts 02-08-2012 02:23 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
If there were Olympic golf at the 2016 games in Rio, I wonder if they'd have a golf course handy.

Hey, if Saudi Arabia and Dubai can have golf courses, I'm sure it won't be much of a problem for Rio!

No new posts 02-08-2012 17:17 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: