Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Food allergies
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Food allergies
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer
Food allergies Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

We think my son had an anaphylactic food reaction today - he reacted just like he did two years ago and I know that one was a food allergy. We've known about his severe peanut allergy since he was four, but nothing prepares you for when it happens - his panic, red-faced, feeling like he can't breathe, terrified he's going to die. And after the epi-pen, antihistamine, 2 hours in the ER, and vomiting up the offending trace of peanut in some cross-contaminated food, he's fine. Terrifying. Scary. Horrible. Frown

No new posts 14-06-2012 03:34 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

So sorry -yes, that must have been terrifying!! So glad that you were prepared, though, with an epi-pen and that he's okay now. Huggles

No new posts 14-06-2012 04:10 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
RE: Food allergies Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jublke
We think my son had an anaphylactic food reaction today - he reacted just like he did two years ago and I know that one was a food allergy. We've known about his severe peanut allergy since he was four, but nothing prepares you for when it happens - his panic, red-faced, feeling like he can't breathe, terrified he's going to die. And after the epi-pen, antihistamine, 2 hours in the ER, and vomiting up the offending trace of peanut in some cross-contaminated food, he's fine. Terrifying. Scary. Horrible. Frown

I'm so sorry, I'm relieved that he's okay though!

No new posts 14-06-2012 04:38 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Sorry to read it, Julie! Sounds like a truly horrible experience! Give him a big hug from us!

No new posts 14-06-2012 07:05 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Bah, those sneaky little peanuts......what a scare for you all, so glad he's ok now. Hug

No new posts 14-06-2012 07:18 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

Big hug being sent you wayHug

Glad that he is okay, and that you are both home, let us know how you are both going in the next few days

No new posts 14-06-2012 07:36 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer

Glad he's okay!

No new posts 14-06-2012 10:32 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Sorry to hear you had to go through the experience Julie. I know I would be in a similar panic if I ever had to do something like you did.

And I am meant to be "prepared," considering I am a teacher and may need to deal with such an event happening with one of the students in my class. I know the steps I would need to follow, but I think I would have a panic attack myself. After we had the child safely packed off and rushed to hospital, hopefully.

No new posts 14-06-2012 11:46 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Sorry you had to go through all that, but glad he's feeling better.

My biggest pet-peeve with buffets and pot-lucks are the idiots that just grab any serving tool and stick it in any dish, not carrying that they are mixing food. Me, I don't like mixed food, but in your case, it could lead to a serious situation.

Hope it doesn't happen again.

CD, I had to send one of my students to the hospital. She was sitting in the hall between my classroom and the band room, she was supposed to be in band. She was struggling breathing and I asked her if she was okay. She said yeah, she just couldn't breathe to play her instrument. I went back to my classroom to put down the papers I was carrying and then back to the hall to talk to her some more. After finding out that she had just had a serious asthma, I went back to my room and called the secretary to inform her of the situation and that we should call her parents and an ambulance. The silly girl, who really was one of my better students, didn't bring her rescue inhaler with her. It took what was left of my prep period to get my own breathing under control from the adrenaline and the power of suggestion (anxiety is one of my triggers).

No new posts 14-06-2012 16:50 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

I'm glad your boy got through that ordeal -- I know that's horrendously terrifying for everyone involved! Keep us informed while we keep him in our thoughts, okay? Therethere

No new posts 14-06-2012 18:05 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I'm glad he's OK. Julie.

What I haye about peanuts (and tree nuts) is they are used as fillers in things you wouldn't imagine and other items are produced on the same converyors and in the same facilities for the sross-contamination.

A lot of people just don't think about it. My son is allergic to tree nuts. He's old enough to read the ingrediants in things and to say no if there is no list, but it irks him. We've been lucky - other than the first incident, he hasn't had a reaction, but the epipen is always ready.

No new posts 14-06-2012 22:54 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer

Thanks for the hugs - I was really shaken up. He hasn't had a reaction in two years, so we were out of practice. Luckily, my husband has been teaching my son how to use the epi-pen lately, so he sprang into action and administered the shot. After the ordeal, my son's been perfectly fine, although a little wary of food. Of course, all of this happened while we were traveling ...

No new posts 15-06-2012 01:43 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Julie, I'm so glad he will be okay! What's important is that you were there and you knew what to do when there was a problem. You're a good Mom who does what is necessary for your kids... and sometimes that includes tearing your hair out with worry. Huggles

No new posts 26-06-2012 21:33 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: