Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Guess I was born to live in fear......
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Guess I was born to live in fear......
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
AllentownDarkWater AllentownDarkWater is a Male
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-01-2010

spacer
Attention Guess I was born to live in fear...... Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I just saw a video about a seismic event taking place on March 22nd, and now I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. I'd post a link to the video, but I'm on the iPod right now. But I guess no one cares what I have to say since I'm just a nuisance. Oh well. Sucks to be me I guess.

No new posts 20-03-2012 06:05 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Allentown, I'm with you! I'm from Greece, and was there when the earthquake of 1999 took place, I understand why you can't sleep!

No new posts 20-03-2012 07:51 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Now that I'm on the computer again, this is the video I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNkCvxV2CjM

No new posts 20-03-2012 11:28 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I'm not sure there is technology right now to predict an earthquake days in advance?

No new posts 20-03-2012 13:12 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Have to say I agree with TJ, there have been so many predictions of "armageddon" over the years that i tend to take them all with a pinch of salt. Wasn't the year 2000 meant to be the end of the world?

If these earthquakes happen, they happen. who can stop them anyway?

Stop worrying, get on with life as you know it, and IF your town gets hit, then take whatever measures you would take if you hadn't been expecting one in the first place. Of course if you must make advance preparations there's nothing stopping you.

No new posts 20-03-2012 13:34 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Two things that can't be predicted:

The end of the World, we might get some advanced warning, but maybe not.

And Earthquakes. Scientist can measure seismic pressure and pinpoint faults that have a build due to lack of activity (believe it or not, lots of little quakes can be a good thing, but not always), and the can make projections about which faults are likely to have a significant seismic event, but these are far from predictions.

I have cousins in the mid-west and some in the south; they've lived through nasty tornadoes and hurricanes yet when they visit California, they're afraid of earthquakes because you have no warning.

Having been through a few tornado watches and warnings and some moderate to major quakes, I can tell you that the warning makes it worse as you just sit there and wait for it to come or pass. When a quake hits, you just react and hope; there's no time worry until after it has passed and the adrenaline has left your system.

No new posts 20-03-2012 16:49 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Back around 1990, a guy had managed to "predict" a couple of big earthquakes, so a lot of people took notice when he said the next big quake would hit the New Madrid fault (on my birthday, no less!) His methodology was a lot like what was shown in the video you saw. As you can probably guess, it never happened, nor did any of the other "big ones" he predicted.

When it comes to apocalyptic predictions, it's pretty safe to say that the dates given will be the days when the end WON'T come! Look at it this way: if Jesus didn't know when the end was coming, what are the odds of somebody posting on YouTube knowing it?

No new posts 20-03-2012 16:57 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

I think you are jolly lucky to have a geological event.

Dont worry, it wont happen.

and if it does, you will do as the victorian visitors to Japan did (`I do so wish for there to be an earthquake`)

sleep though it

No new posts 20-03-2012 21:27 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by KT1972
Have to say I agree with TJ, there have been so many predictions of "armageddon" over the years that i tend to take them all with a pinch of salt. Wasn't the year 2000 meant to be the end of the world?

If these earthquakes happen, they happen. who can stop them anyway?

Stop worrying, get on with life as you know it, and IF your town gets hit, then take whatever measures you would take if you hadn't been expecting one in the first place. Of course if you must make advance preparations there's nothing stopping you.

I'm trying to enjoy life, but there's so much shit going on (not because of what I was afraid would happen when I made this which didn't happen), and there are a few people on this board (not saying who) who I thought cared about me and thought were my friends, but recently found out they don't give a shit about me and they don't think I'm the great person they said I was in the past. And plus one of these people even said I was their BEST FRIEND. Oh gee! Could have fooled me! Because they sure aren't acting like it! And I thought these people were some of the coolest and nicest people I ever met too! What is there to enjoy when I have to put up with stuff like this?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by AllentownDarkWater on 26-03-2012 at 06:07.
No new posts 26-03-2012 06:05 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

People claiming they can predict this, that and the other thing are a dime a dozen. You may have noticed that they end up with egg on their faces, or rapidly backpedaling or justifying the failure of their predictions with -- interesting -- rationalizations.

Same with the folks who want to share their big revelations about ETs, Freemasons, Jews, or whatever: if something bad happens, they somehow caused it (as part of their conspiracy).

There are times you just have to sit back and let them be paranoid. Spend your energy on the things you can influence, and spend it wisely. Not everything requires a full-on sprint: the steady slog does it.

No new posts 26-03-2012 22:11 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: