Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Introductions » Conventions / Courtesy re linking to others' sites.
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Conventions / Courtesy re linking to others' sites.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer
Conventions / Courtesy re linking to others' sites. Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hubby and I say that, if it's on the web without a password, you can advertise the URL.

Artist friend says, no, it sucks up my bandwidth. Get permission first.

All three of us agree that the above does not apply to large sites like CNN. And you should link to the site's intended entry page or at least a page that has the usual entry page info -- disclaimers and credits and whatever the person wants to be seen with the piece in question.

And, if the owner of the site or the piece asks that you don't link without permission, or link to a specific page, you respect that. (That's one of the things that might be on the usual entry page for the site.)

But if the site doesn't say, is it reasonable to assume that we can safely advertise the link?

Discussion? Concensus?

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 23-07-2004 15:25 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I suppose with bigger companies..like CNN, yahoo MSN and whatnot..it might be ok to advertise the link..Ive seen no probs with it so far..

Yet if that is the case..how come it affects smaller or personal sites?

How is the bandwidth different?

Confused

No new posts 23-07-2004 17:20 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Bandwidth is the total bits transferred up or down, usually per month. Host sites usually cap it. I've been to Tripod a few times, and, instead of getting what I wanted, I get a "sorry, bandwidth exceeded. Contact the webmaster of the site or try again next month" type message.

So, yes, it's a concern for little guys.

But the counter side is that they put stuff up to be seen.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 23-07-2004 18:02 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

In response to the first part the Artist is completely wrong, putting up their site URL does not suck up bandwidth in any way shape or form.

Linking to files or images on their server sucks up bandwidth but as they should be able to prevent cross-linking on their server preferences they have no need to complain about it.

Angelfire for instance do not permit anyone linking to images from off site.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 23-07-2004 23:44 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Putting up the URL doesn't suck up bandwidth, but everyone heading over to look at it does.

Some servers do not allow you to prevent cross-linking -- haven't seen a thing about it on ours yet. Or you have to be a tech wiz to do it -- which means less time spent on art.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 25-07-2004 19:21 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by CricketBeautiful
Putting up the URL doesn't suck up bandwidth, but everyone heading over to look at it does.

Well doesn't that defy the entire point of having a website? You may as well not publish it if you don't want people to see it. Big Grin

quote:

Some servers do not allow you to prevent cross-linking -- haven't seen a thing about it on ours yet. Or you have to be a tech wiz to do it -- which means less time spent on art.

I've never heard of servers not allowing you to stop crosslinking, if your using a free service like lycos or geocities and its not done as standard you can always request it as they are more then happy to save their own bandwidth.

As for payed hosting its always in the options but if your not sure just get in touch with your host on how to do it.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 26-07-2004 17:00 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

I've seen people with graphic intensive sites complain about being charged extra for their bandwidth because of linking from elsewhere. But that was some time ago, when perhaps bandwidth was more expensive and measured in smaller increments.

Geocities' free service certainly doesn't permit crosslinking, my site is on there and I haven't found a way around it. Probably if I paid them for their marvellous services they would permit crosslinking Wink

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 26-07-2004 17:54 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Drive

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-05-2004

spacer

Hmm...band width...is like...rubber band....is like...rubber...is like...rubber room...is like...all things naughty and kinky...

VOILA!

Okay, so I suck at saying something thoughtful and profound when I'm trying to up my post count.

*grin*

No new posts 28-07-2004 08:41 Drive is offline Send an Email to Drive Search for Posts by Drive Add Drive to your Buddy List
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer

GASP!!..you mean something thoughtful and profound has to be said when posting?????

Doh2

NOW you tell me!

*rereads the fine print in original joining up contract..*

<smirk>

No new posts 06-08-2004 17:57 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: