Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Chat » Gatchaman Vehicles
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Vehicles
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Xephon0930 Xephon0930 is a Male

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-04-2009

spacer
Gatchaman Vehicles Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

The God Phoenix-A shame that it took me a long time to see it.The one God Phoenix I remember most is going to be mentioned later.But I digress. The first one just pours of awesomeness and nostalgia.The first one that started it all.It was the G-5 when not in use where Ryu takes naps in when off-duty.But when combined with the other G-vehicles,the ship had access to the double-edged Bird Missiles and the Fiery Sciene Ninja Firebird Technique.This was truly THE God Phoenix!!!

The God Phoenix 2-Now we all know that the sponsers of the series to where this abomination was born in had quite the choke-hold on the guy behind Gatchaman.They wanted to sell more toys to a wider child-based audience.Well this plan back-fired as the older fans hated it and that the second series was a bit too intense for most kids at that time.*JOE*It haunted the Gatchaman community for a long time and it is referred to as the "Chicken Ship" due to the awkward design.It even made its way to Super Sentai Go-onger!!!!!!

The Gatchaspartan-Now for all those of you who would like to disagree with me,let me at least finish this!!!I think that the Gatchaspartan is THE most underrated of the Gatchaman vehicles.It didn't exceed the expectations made by the original God Phoenix,but it was at least IMHO far better than the dreaded Chicken Ship I mentioned above.Why,you ask? First off,it was the first(and the last)Gatchaman vehicle to actually combine in a super sentai like fashion as the past ones just docked into the God Phoenixes as it seems.And two,I loved the attack Hypershoot,that despite the fact it was killing Ken,had a stupid name,and an even stupider way to attack with it(standing on the bow of ANY aircraft is suicide)it had points in originality.As opposed to recycling footage of the Fire Bird Mode.I thought this was the overlooked younger brother that just needs attention of all the vehicles.

No new posts 17-04-2009 17:06 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I agree (although I know it's not the standard opinion) that the Gatchaspartan was a real improvement over the GatchaRooster. I was so happy to see the destruction of the GatchaRooster, and although the Gatchaspartan flies a bit funny sometimes, at least it looks like a ship! And you can make a decent argument that the pointed nose shape was useful for the Hypershoot. IMHO it would have made more sense for that pointed nose to be the weapon, rather than the Gatchafencer.

As for individual vehicles, I think the original G1 through G4 had a huge advantage in being able to transmute to civilian vehicles. I always thought it was a shame the others didn't do that.

No new posts 17-04-2009 19:16 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

While the original is my favorite too. I agree with TJ, that the civilian mode of the vehicles really added to their appeal. IMHO.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 17-04-2009 19:26 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

It was the way they transmuted into the G machines that made them so cool in the first series.

As for Fighter and the Gatchasparten... It has merits and yes the hypershoot is impression when in imagine it working IRL, and I could see the physically effects such a device would have on the user.

If a ship could come together from individual parts and form a proper working space worthy craft...and picturing it IRL...than it would be amazing.

I thought about this a while back... the shape of the Gatchaparten is Star Wars like since a lot of the Star Wars space carries have that V pointed design to them. Could the designers of the Gatchaparten wanted to create that kind of appeal to the audience?

No new posts 18-04-2009 12:01 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Xephon0930 Xephon0930 is a Male

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-04-2009

spacer

The Star Destroyer anyone?

No new posts 18-04-2009 14:50 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

How about some pictures for those of us who don't have even the fansubs?

(The Gallery could be expanded to include the characters from the various series and OAVs.)

No new posts 29-09-2009 23:21 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:

Try this thread here:

http://www.gatchamania.net/thread.php?threadid=2313&sid=

I hope that helps!

James

No new posts 29-09-2009 23:36 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter

(The Gallery could be expanded to include the characters from the various series and OAVs.)

There is some good information here:

http://www.chronicsite.com/gatchaman/mechs.html

You can click on the links of the upper left to see each series.

No new posts 29-09-2009 23:41 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

I haven't seen Gatch II or F, but I have seen nearly complete screencaps here:

http://reboekah.peregrine-intl.com/default.htm

Reboekah has almost the entire series screencapped for those of us who don't have access to the sequels. Heck, I'm still collecting the DVDs for the original series and am watching BotP online.

As for the vehicles, I like the look of the originals. The others looked more like the creators were caving in to trends rather than creating trends like the did in the first.

No new posts 30-09-2009 03:38 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Reboekah
Master Boardie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amethyst
I haven't seen Gatch II or F, but I have seen nearly complete screencaps here:

http://reboekah.peregrine-intl.com/default.htm

Reboekah has almost the entire series screencapped for those of us who don't have access to the sequels.

Yup - Guilty!

I'm in the process of redoing the Gatch Fighter screencaps and updating the thumbnails....

<heh> Omfg

No new posts 30-09-2009 22:23 Reboekah is offline Send an Email to Reboekah Homepage of Reboekah Search for Posts by Reboekah Add Reboekah to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Going out on a limb here, and deducing that the Gatchafencer was 'inspired' by Voltron or some other anime series. I recall that EVERY battle on Voltron ended with the damned mecha whipping out a giant sword to carve up the enemy machines. You'd think the bad guys would figure it out after a while.

It's not good when the merchandizing gets in the way of everything else.

Okay: Just looked at Gatch II mecha. BAD PAINT JOBS!!!! They might look okay if someone hadn't wanted to make them look like birds.

Gatchaman Fighter: Dork

The transformed vehicles in the OAV: Cool.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by UnpublishedWriter on 30-09-2009 at 23:35.
No new posts 30-09-2009 23:21 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

UnpublishedWriter, correct me if I'm wrong but Voltron was produced and aired more than a decade after Gatchaman! I think Gatchaman inspired most of the other anime series that followed it especially those having a team of five youths and vehicles that join into one!

Reboekah, I thank you for providing those great screencaps that illustrate episodes of Gatch F ... my favorite series! Your work was my only refuge from the beginning when I sought for important clues on Gatch F and they are also as so now!

No new posts 01-10-2009 16:34 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Going out on a limb here, and deducing that the Gatchafencer was 'inspired' by Voltron or some other anime series.

Well, Voltron (Or, more specifically, Go Lion and Dairugger XV, the two series that were used to create Voltron) weren't an inspiration for anything in Gatchaman Fighter, since they weren't produced until after Gatchaman Fighter had finished airing (1981 for Go Lion, 1982 for Dairugger XV).

Regardless, the notion of giant robots carrying swords goes back to at least Great Mazinger in 1974. From that point on, edged weapons of some sort (Swords, axes, and the like) became the norm for robots. For the first few years, these weapons were but one part of the arsenal used by the various robots, as the writers mixed things up so that the robots did not continually use one weapon to defeat their foes.

That pretty much changed once Combattler V came along in 1976. In that series, the number of times Combattler V defeated his enemies without using the Super Electromagnetic Spin can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Since the series was a success, that pattern was followed quite closely in subsequent robots series like Voltes V, Godsigma, and Albegas, as well as the aforementioned Go Lion and Dairugger XV. It didn't take too many years for the notion of a robot always winning his battles by using a powerful sword to become a cliche.

Now, I would suspect that much of this repetitious pattern is the fault of the sponsors, in particular the toy manufacturer Popy. They were a major sponsor on many of the robot series. In the first half of the 1970s, the main sponsors for these shows had the right to examine and approve the stories in the series that they were sponsoring, and they would make note of items in the stories that they would like to see changed so that the show would be more appealing to their target audience. The studios would usually try to modify things somewhat to make their sponsors happy, but the final say on things was still with the studios.

By the latter half of the 1970s, the economic situation had changed so that the studios really needed the support of their major sponsors, and the sponsors knew it. Being one of the biggest sponsors for these shows, Popy used their position to "request" that studios use designs that they wished to use for upcoming toy lines, and to "suggest" that certain elements be emphasized in the stories -- for example, having the robot use that shiny sword that came with the toy in every episode. The studios knew that they pretty much had to do what the sponsor wanted if they wanted to stay in business, even if it meant stifling their creativity, so those robots used those swords in every episode.

By the time that Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter were being produced, Tatsunoko was in the same situation that studios like Toei and Tokyo Movie Shinsha were in, where the sponsors were in the drivers seat. Popy wanted bird-themed vehicle toys for the series, so Tatsunoko complied, and probably used designs that were at least partially created by Popy. R2-D2 was popular, so Gatchaman II needed a cute, merchandisable robot too, so we got Pimer.

By the time we got to Gatchaman Fighter, Popy had apparently tired of the bird theme, but certainly liked Star Wars! They probably presented the Star Destroyer-inspired design of the Gatcha Spartan to Tatsunoko as a fait accompli. Star Wars is also the obvious influence for the Gatchaman Fencer (Not Gatchafencer, by the way), allowing Popy to release their very own light saber toy without having to pay 20th Century Fox a licensing fee!

Popy would also be the place I would lay the blame for the repetitious method by which the Iron Beasts were destroyed at the end of so many Gatchaman Fighter episodes. It's not that the Tatsunoko staff didn't want to do something different, or that they were inspired by what they were seeing every week in robot shows like Dartanius and Tryder G-7, it's that they were stuck in the same Popy-controlled trap that the staff of those other shows were in.

quote:
It's not good when the merchandizing gets in the way of everything else.

I agree wholeheartedly.

James

No new posts 01-10-2009 17:18 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Since my anime experience consists entirely of what shows up in this country, I had no idea that Voltron came along ten years after Gatchaman. The post-Star Wars anime invasion rather mixed up the chronology for me.

Too bad it didn't occur to the toymakers that letting the writers use their creativity (or what might be left of it after churning out scripts for who knows how many series) would be a boon for the toy lines. Shiny swords, cool electro-whips, or pole-arms for the arsenal. That's what accessories are all about.

And then, in the 1980s, we had the trend of cartoons based on toys. Doh2

No new posts 01-10-2009 23:41 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Barrdwing Barrdwing is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2008

spacer

quote:
[i]
And then, in the 1980s, we had the trend of cartoons based on toys. Doh2

<muttermuttermutter> Don't get me started on those . . . . Ohplease Even as a kid, I could tell that those shows were only there to sell toys! Ugly toys, at that. What is it about the toy merchant connection that immediately drains a cartoon of anything resembling story development or innovation? Or, heaven forfend, character development? While it's true that some shows since then have managed to overcome that handicap and find a balance, most of the stuff I saw in the 80's was just awful. Nono2

No new posts 05-10-2009 02:26 Barrdwing is offline Send an Email to Barrdwing Search for Posts by Barrdwing Add Barrdwing to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

When it all comes down to it though: it wouldn't be hard to get better than the GatchaChicken.

If there was ever proof that Zark was really involved in Gatchaman - the Chicken is it.

(apologies to those who are Zark's) island

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 05-10-2009 02:39 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Barddwing wrote a BOTP fic in which a scientist is relegated to assisting Zark. At one point, after listening to Zark's self-serving rubbish, she's surprised that the Phoenix doesn't have an angry chicken head painted on it. (It's called 'In a Small Room', if you want to read it. I found it on Gatchfanfic.)

In-joke, BW?

No new posts 08-10-2009 23:22 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
In-joke, BW?

I'll go out on a limb, knowing Barrdwing, and suggest that it likely was. That fic also had other in-jokes, including the one about the '85 missing data tapes'. Wink

No new posts 09-10-2009 00:58 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Barrdwing Barrdwing is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2008

spacer

Winknudge Yup, there are a lot of in-jokes in that story. I had fun . . . figured it would give folks a chuckle, and hopefully not earn too many of these Tomato

No new posts 09-10-2009 04:01 Barrdwing is offline Send an Email to Barrdwing Search for Posts by Barrdwing Add Barrdwing to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: