Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » What the...?!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What the...?!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer
What the...?! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Well, this is an interesting development.

Last year, I was told I'd have to choose another dorm room (and dorm building) because they were turning the hall I was living in was being turned into a "Living and Learning Center" for Honors students. I was ticked. I mean, they didn't even consider any of those who'd be displaced. But I went along quietly, chose another dorm room, etc.

I actually like this dorm room. Very cozy, private bath, etc. But what is really great is the community. I have never had a better dorm director, or a more wonderful hall, and I've lived in several dorms across campus.

We'd been curious about this "town hall" meeting that was being advertised around the building. Nothing said what it was about. Today we all get an e-mail that the first floor (the one on which I live) is being turned into another "Living and Learning Center."

Needless to say I was ticked. I called immediately to complain. Heck, this is the second time I'm being kicked out. Plus the fact that though those displaced do get a chance to sign up for another room, those already in the rooms get preference, not that I'd want to remove them from their room, there aren't that many rooms in Dawson. So I wouldn't be able to stay in Dawson. Our community will be lost. I was told in a condescending voice by THE HEAD of the department that they knew the chance of us getting to live in the same hall was nil, but there was always those new expensive dorms. Seriously expensive. The nice apartments in town are cheaper. So I was very angry.

All of us are. The dorm director wasn't told until Friday. She's been so good to us. She was crying when we asked her about it. She hangs out with us, helps us get stuff we need when we're sick. She's practically another mother for us. We all love her and her family. She's so upset because the work she's done for this hall means nothing to the Living and Learning department. Our dorm hall is the cleanest. We don't have the problems with trash that other dorms have. People actually *know* each other and are friendly. If someone's making too much noise, there's no problem or harsh words over asking them to turn it down. Everyone considers everyone.

And this means absolutely nothing to the Living and Learning Center. My dorm room is destined to be an office.

Of course, we're raising a fuss. We're getting a petition formed and signed. So nice of them to give us 24 hours to get this all set up. I can promise you that tomorrow night will not be pretty. The head of the department will be there, and I know that I'm going to have some words for him.

But the matter is set and done. They've already set everything up. I'm grateful at the least to have this year. It's been the only truly good dorm experience. If our efforts fail, I plan on moving to an apartment next year. I'm tired of getting screwed over by this campus. I love this campus. I love the faculty. But the officials, the ones who know nothing of the students, who only consider money when making decisions, drive me insane. And I'm just not going to deal with it anymore.

It's just so frustrating that they absolutely refuse to consider anyone who isn't an "honor" student or in their leadership program (which is what is moving in to replace us).

Anyways, I know that didn't make a lot of sense, probably. But oh well. I just needed to get it out.

No new posts 10-11-2004 04:06 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Oooh, dear, I hear you. Moving is always a royal pain.

You will get to stay there until spring, right? So you've got plenty of time to find a new place, and you'll be on campus while you're looking. And you've got a good group of friends you already know you can live with to choose roommates from.

And what's this about "Living and Learning Centers"? I know the admin wants to draw lots of honours students -- it's one of the things they get points for when schools are compared in MacLeans and for funding. But, like, are honours students so lacking that they need to learn how to live? Do they need sheltering from the rest of the rabble? What can this "Center" teach them that the rabble can't?

I can just imagine them in four years: Yes, I learned a lot at school. They even taught us about life. I don't know how the rest of the students managed to learn it on their own. They probably got most of it wrong. I'm much better prepared for the next part of my life than they are, thanks to this sheltered real-world environment.

Then again, having known a few honours students, I can tell you that many of them were honours students because their parents insisted -- and without parents enforcing the hours of studying, the honours got lost. Or they were so smart that they didn't need the extra hours of studying -- so they had even more time than the "rabble" to mess up their lives.

Yep, maybe those poor honours students really need this Living and Learning Center.

You, on the other hand, seem to be managing quite well despite all they throw at you.

Oh, dear, do you think they're using you as a training ground for their management programs? We need the business students to learn how to handle unhappy customers, so let's create some for them to practise with.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 10-11-2004 04:31 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Err what the hell is a living and learning center anyway? I thought and maybe this is just me that a University is a "living" and "learning" center in its own right? Confused

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 10-11-2004 11:02 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

What they are doing is they are taking the nice dorms and converting them into these "Living and Learning Centers" for their special programs. My first dorm turned into one for Honors students. This one is being turned into office space and a place for students in the Leadership program. Where they learn how to be leaders...

Yeah, I didn't buy that either. Basically the university is going through a "we wanna be prestigious" stage, but rather than actually going for it academically or something like that, they're building, well, buildings, and putting fancy labels on others and limiting their use to a select group. See, a university's coolness is determined by how picky it is. They give the nicest dorms to the students who join their programs. See? Prestigious. Who cares about the rest of the students?

We're just cannon fodder. ^_^

But basically, the "Living and Learning Centers" are places for those in the special programs so that the university can say "We have special places for people in our programs." And rather than continue on their building spree and actually build a place for them, they're kicking students out of the dorms, so that the special people can experience a true community, which means living with people who do everything you do, believe what you believe, etc., apparently. Boy, I've learned something today. I used to think that a dorm community was made up of people of different beliefs and majors.

This university's adminstrators are insane. They're trying to separate the students in the programs from everyone else. I don't have a clue what this accomplishes. I mean, ok, sure, have your little program that teaches people to lead. It's kind of weird, but hey, whatever floats your boat. But wouldn't they know a little bit more about leading if they were with regular people?

Cep, I agree with you, the university itself should be considered this. But our administration has just gone insane trying to get better status. I wish I could say that I honestly don't believe that, but I can't. Which sounds nicer: This is Dawson hall, where a bunch of female students live OR This is the Dawson Living and Learning Center, where our students in the leadership program live and learn together?

That's all they care about. They don't care about diversity, except when it comes to admittance and ratios and whatnot. They don't care if they rip an actual community apart or not, if they get to build their own little fake world.

And believe me, Meridian, they're going to learn. And I mean the head honcho. He's going to be there tonight, and so will I. I definitely have some choice words for him. None of them bad, mind you, but most angry with a dash of "How stupid are you?!"

No new posts 10-11-2004 14:08 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Takes me back to one of my early lab groups. Six of us, two in the Management Science option -- convinced they were the natural leaders of the group because they had chosen that option rather than Detective Fiction or Introductory Psychology.

Took them four weeks to identify the rest of us as X and Y types, and till the end of the term to actually figure out how to manage us. I identified them as "Mother Goose" and "Hawkeye" and "Cookie" and "Sparkle" types (from the other summer camp leaders), and managed to actually get the lab reports done in reasonable time -- basically told them we were wasting time, and I was leaving in ten minutes whether they got around to telling me what part of the report I was to do or not.

Not saying I'd do it the same way now, but it proved to me that you can't teach management and leadership to people who have never experienced being managed or following a leader. The stuff they teach in leadership courses is important, and can help a good leader become a great one, but they actually turn bad leaders into worse ones.

Says humble me who has given up all leadership and management positions except for the co-leading the family.

We're rooting for you!

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 10-11-2004 14:50 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Well, it's turned into a catfight out there because girls who support the programs decided to come and cause fights. I got several applauses from my larger audience, but I was basically told, "Oh well, too bad," by the one that made the decision. I'll be looking for an apartment for next year. Wish me luck.

No new posts 11-11-2004 04:24 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: