Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Earthquake!!!!!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Earthquake!!!!!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer
Earthquake!!!!! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

In 2002 in the West Midlands in dudley in Britain we had an earthquake which was a bit scary for us that felt the tremors.

Early this morning at 1 am, I was on the PC in my front bedroom, when it shook for a few seconds. This was because an earthquake hit again but this time in Lincolnshire which is near the east coast. It was 5.1 on the Richter scale.

No new posts 27-02-2008 18:25 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yipes! Hope everyone is ok! I've never experienced an earthquake, but it sounds very scary!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 27-02-2008 19:39 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Wow... I didn't know they had earthquakes in your part of the world, Met! I hope everything is okay!

No new posts 27-02-2008 20:15 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer

Wow, Met, 5.1 is something but I guess you haven't felt it's full magnitude. I also hope every thing there is in one piece!

No new posts 27-02-2008 20:21 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

It is a completely weird sensation, isn't it? One takes it for granted that the ground will stay still, just as the sun rises in the east and water flows downhill. I've felt three mild earthquakes in my life -two in Montreal, Quebec and one near Cleveland, Ohio.

No new posts 27-02-2008 20:24 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

There were no deaths and one only injury fortunately it is mostly property damage.

No new posts 27-02-2008 20:24 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Firebird
There were no deaths and one only injury fortunately it is mostly property damage.

I take it then that everything is okay with you too, FB? Huggles

No new posts 27-02-2008 20:32 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Firebird

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

spacer

yeah it was felt in London but to be honest I slept through it.

No new posts 27-02-2008 20:39 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

I'm glad that both of you are ok, Met and FB! I've never experienced an earthquake, but I'm sure they can't be fun!

Hmmm, earthquake in a part of the world that I didn't even realize got them... Could this be a Galactor plot????

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 27-02-2008 20:44 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Firebird

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

spacer

we actually get 200 earthquakes a year but only about 25 are felt.

The one today was our second largest. the biggest being 5.4 back in 2006.

The last time there was an earthqauke in the market raisen area ewas 1755 ..

there ends the trivia Wink

No new posts 27-02-2008 20:46 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
yeah it was felt in London but to be honest I slept through it.

Quite a lot of people slept right through it. The 2002 was worse and lasted longer than this morning. I told my mum this morning and she didn't really believed me until she saw the news.

The only damaged I had was a bit of trim on the inside of my lounge window I think.

All I can say is rake, shattle and roll.....not!

No new posts 27-02-2008 21:42 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

It is interesting how many earthquakes we get here in Ontario.
Again an area I never thought would get them, I thought I remembered from high school, that it was only on the edge of continental shelves, not in the middle of them.

I do not remember what magnitude the earthquakes are we got I think only 3's or 4's. I am not sure I have ever felt a 5. Glad to hear everything is okay with you in the UK.

No new posts 27-02-2008 22:56 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

My house hasn't fallen down around me.....Yet.

No new posts 27-02-2008 23:23 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

I would have to check the Earthquake data base but I think it requires more than a 5 to damage structures. Unless you live in a shack.

Oh! I just went and checked here is what the scales says:

2.5 or less Usually not felt, but can be recorded by seismograph.
2.5 to 5.4 Often felt, but only causes minor damage.
5.5 to 6.0 Slight damage to buildings and other structures.
6.1 to 6.9 May cause a lot of damage in very populated areas.
7.0 to 7.9 Major earthquake. Serious damage.
8.0 or greater Great earthquake. Can totally destroy communities near the epicenter.

So your 5.1 is close to slight damage to structures.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 27-02-2008 at 23:46.
No new posts 27-02-2008 23:44 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
RE: Earthquake!!!!! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Metaliant
In 2002 in the West Midlands in dudley in Britain we had an earthquake which was a bit scary for us that felt the tremors.

Early this morning at 1 am, I was on the PC in my front bedroom, when it shook for a few seconds. This was because an earthquake hit again but this time in Lincolnshire which is near the east coast. It was 5.1 on the Richter scale.

Wow Met it can be scary, I've only ever experienced one and that was the aftershocks when Newcastle was hit by an earthquake many years ago...

I hope it didn't do to much damage...

The last major earthquake in the Southern hemisphere caused a Tsunami to hit Thailand and further along the coast...

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 28-02-2008 at 00:35.
No new posts 28-02-2008 00:31 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Firebird

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

spacer

I remember that one vividly Ebony because I was working 12 hour shifts everyday taking calls from people who were concerned loved ones had died.

No new posts 28-02-2008 10:35 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

I'm glad that everyone is OK.

I remember 2 here in the Toronto area. The first I remember I was reading in bed. The shaking was just enough that things were rattling,and I couldn't keep the book steady.

The second one I was outside and heard this big 'Bang' then shaking and thought that either a truck had crashed into the plant behind us or that a train had derailed into it.

No new posts 28-02-2008 14:33 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

In the 2002 Dudley earthquake, me and most of my neighbours, thought it was probably some one driving trucks in a ram raiding style into our lounges (front rooms).

At one point I thought it was a nuke going off somewhere far away. It was a bit scary.

No new posts 28-02-2008 15:13 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

I was more confused than anything....

No new posts 28-02-2008 16:07 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

quote:
I remember that one vividly Ebony because I was working 12 hour shifts everyday taking calls from people who were concerned loved ones had died.

People did die in that one...Newcastle NSW I was talking about just in case...thats right FB you're married to an Aussie..

Did you hear about the one that hit NZ a few months ago, that one did a bit of damage.

Is that what happens do you think, one Earthquake set off a chain reaction..

No new posts 28-02-2008 22:22 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: