Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » Anime on the Big Screen
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Anime on the Big Screen
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer
Anime on the Big Screen Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Another anime production is coming to the big screen. Akira is being made into a live-action film.

Linky

Here's my question... With all the anime that is being made into full-length feature films (Astroboy, Gatchaman, Speed Racer, Dragon Ball Z, etc) and the majority scheduled to release within the next 2-3 years, do you think the market will become over-saturated with this genre and burn itself out?

Personally, I'm not sure how much the "average movie goer" will be able to take of so many movies of the same basic genre being released in such a short amount of time. Even though the key demographic is now made up of people who grew up watching at least some form of anime, I'm not sure those 30-40 year olds will accept so many feature film adaptions in rapid-fire release. I think the movie studios may burn the audiences out, leaving some of the films to die slow painful deaths, even if they are excellent productions (in story and effects). And, unfortunately, I think it may have the opposite effect on anime in general. Burn the audience out, and they'll shun it.

I was just wondering what others thought of this and what you think it will really mean for live-action (or CGI) anime and for anime as a whole.

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 22-02-2008 21:26 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

No way. My supervisor at work loves the orignal anime and probably will hate the live action verson of it and Leonardo Dicprio producing and probably stars in it.

God that sound awful when thinking of it.

And here's a fact, if my supervisor had a kid, he would like to call it Akira, though his girlfriend hates the idea.

No new posts 22-02-2008 22:19 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I hate the idea too, Akira is a classic and should remain as such! Samurai1

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 22-02-2008 22:21 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

Me too.

I think the whole concept of a blackbuster is dead.

Films dont last five minutes these days. if they become cult its often on the DVD release

And `Cashhern` was never realeased in the west, was it? Theres something that already exists....no call for.

No new posts 22-02-2008 22:40 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Cep
I hate the idea too, Akira is a classic and should remain as such! Samurai1

I think that's the problem with the classics. Too many people want to make remakes of them which doesn't always work.

No new posts 22-02-2008 23:12 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

ITA everyone, I hate it when they just keep doing movies that classic over and over like the next producer thinks they can do it better...

I think they [i]have[i/] to be a [i]real[i/] fan to do any good with it at all in a remake...and listen to the fans...

Look at what they did to Hitch hikers guide to the Galaxy!

It was a series( a Hilarious books)and tried to squash it into this high tech film...well to me in that film it lost the feeling it had in the 1980's series...it just didn't feel British enough...

No new posts 23-02-2008 01:41 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I have started to notice (especially reading Wikipedia recently) that most Tv shows and films are either being remade or are sequals of the TV series or films..

No new posts 23-02-2008 02:27 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Metaliant
I have started to notice (especially reading Wikipedia recently) that most Tv shows and films are either being remade or are sequals of the TV series or films..

Look at it this way. The population is aging, unfortunately, and they/we remember the good old times and want to relive their/our youth. Part of their youth was watching TV and films. So the producers are trying to win us back, bring more of the older population back to the theaters/cinemas.

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out, very few remakes are as good as the original, or at least they are not as good as we "remember" the original to be.

No new posts 23-02-2008 02:56 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I am so glad that I can watch the orginal Tv shows on Youtube then.

No new posts 23-02-2008 03:04 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

YOUTUBE!!!!! one the great inventions of the 2000's...

No new posts 23-02-2008 05:15 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

All you need to do is type in the name of the programme of your choosing on Wi8kipedia, go to the Episode part or page, open a tab/window to Youtube, copy and past the name of the programme and episode and hopefully it will come up.

Not all programmes are on Youtube, but if it is, then it's usually in several parts as most people put on about 10 minutes. I have done this with the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited and X men TAS programmes.

No new posts 23-02-2008 10:31 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

I'm also tired of the "recycled" film. I mean, how many versions of Sweeney Todd do we need?? Are filmwriters so hard up for stories that they have to reuse old ones? Next thing you know, they'll be remaking Ishtar... <shudder>

But I agree with Ebony... I think only someone who is a real fan has any chance of making a decent film. Especially with anime. If you don't understand the genre, or don't bring over or translate effectively the main plot points of the series, the film is doomed from it's opening theme...

YouTube, though, rocks!! It's so awesome to be able to watch the original shows that are up there. At least until they take them down for copyright issues. But I still Bowdown to the YouTube gods... Smile

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 23-02-2008 13:38 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: