Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Hit by two anvils!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hit by two anvils!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Hit by two anvils! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

You know the cartoons where the coyote is walking along when – POW! – an anvil drops on him from a clear blue sky? Well, the past couple of weeks have me feeling that way.

The first anvil

A little over two weeks ago, I discovered that, for at least ten years, I’ve been living within walking distance of a serial killer. You read right – A FREAKIN' SERIAL KILLER!

A neighbor was found dead in his house. He was arrested and charged in her death. While the police were interviewing him, he admitted to killing another woman ten years ago and dumping her body in a nearby river. So, while a team was dragging the river, hoping to find any remains of this woman, the body of another woman who had vanished a month ago was found tucked under his back porch. Now there are two storage units in front of his house, crammed with evidence, heavy equipment digging up his entire yard, and detectives from all across the country looking for any clues that might link this guy to any of their missing persons cases.

The second anvil

For two weeks now, my dad’s been in the hospital, having another bout with pneumonia. While he hasn’t gotten back to the way he was before he got sick, he seemed to have been making progress.

Well, this morning I got a phone call from a social worker at the hospital.

“Miss White,” she said, “what hospice plans do you have for your dad?”

Hospice?! Um, hang on a minute, I need to pound on my chest to restart my heart...

I spent most of the rest of the day unable to eat and going through more crying spells than I could count while I was being crushed by the thought of this being the last couple of weeks of my dad’s life. How was I going to break this to the rest of the family? And what about final arrangements?

Finally, Dad’s doctor called – Dad didn’t need a hospice. (Thank God!) Apparently this social worker had developed her own criteria and had taken it upon herself to contact several families to push them toward hospice care. (The hospital’s still working on finding out why she did this, let alone who the hell she though she was to actually do it!)

Dad’s doctor apologized profusely for what happened. (I appreciated that, though he didn’t need to, since this wasn’t his doing.) He then gave me the latest update on Dad’s condition: they’d stopped giving him antibiotics and are going to keep him in the hospital for a couple more days to make sure nothing happens. By the end of the week Dad should be released.

I AM glad this one worked out all right. But, JEEZ!

No new posts 09-05-2012 02:01 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

OMG...EW! That is crazy! How frightening to think that you were in close proximity of a serial killer! Glad you're ok!

And I certainly hope that the social worker is fired for taking things into her own hands like that! Unbelievable!! I would be so angry to have gotten an unnecessary scare like that! Happy to hear that your Dad didn't need hospice!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 09-05-2012 02:07 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yikes EW! I'm so glad to hear your dad's okay, but that social worker should be on track for losing her license unless she had genuine cause.

You have a right to cry and be stressed out. Man. *huge hugs*

No new posts 09-05-2012 02:08 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
but that social worker should be on track for losing her license unless she had genuine cause.

I just talked to my sister-in-law who's an RN. According to her, it doesn't matter if that social worker thought she had genuine cause or not -- the only time she could make that kind of phone call is if the patient's doctor requests it. The government regulations are clear about that. She also said that she wouldn't be surprised if that social worker had already gotten the boot by the time the doctor called me.

No new posts 09-05-2012 02:37 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer

Wow, oh wow, EW! How terrifying on both counts! Glad to hear they caught the guy and so happy to hear about your dad.

Huggles

No new posts 09-05-2012 03:11 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

OMG! EW, that is freaky. It's almost scary that I'm considering the serial killer in the neighborhood the lesser of two evils. But then I'm not a big fan of Hospice or social workers. Really glad to hear that it is unnecessary for you.

No new posts 09-05-2012 04:42 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Oh my! At least they caught the serial killer...but the thought is very distressing!
I'm so glad your dad is better, these kind of things can throw you off-kilter for a long time. A few years ago, my mother was told she had internal bleeding, and then when she went to have another test, was told that it was actually a mistake of the lab, and she was fine -- whew! In cases like these, sometimes the relief overtakes the need to strangle the labs and doctors.

Anyway, I hope things look up for you now...Huggles

No new posts 09-05-2012 11:06 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

First one.

Oh wow! Of course people dont do things like that around here.

A year ago a man in his thirties topped both his parents in order to inherit the house. (For some people that is their only route into property ownership)

There is a moral to this; if you are posed to inherit, be patient. Speeding up the process might not work and only keep the media in business. (You have to admit that serial killers do a wonderful job of keeping the media busy.)

Second one.

I am very sad. I too have had encounters with less than helpful and indeed counterproductive social workers.

I am very careful in recieving help these days. It would do well to complain.

No new posts 09-05-2012 12:16 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

EW, I am very sorry to hear of the anxiety that social worker put you through. And also glad to hear that your father is improving and should be returning home soon.

No new posts 09-05-2012 12:22 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
RIgirl RIgirl is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-04-2010

spacer

Wow, EW ... just one of those two things would take anyone's breath away, never mind being hit with both at the same time!

At least the police caught the neighbor ... and it sounds like at least a few families will now have closure, finally knowing what happened to those who disappeared.

That social worker was horrid in giving you such a scare, and it sounds like she crossed several lines. With any luck, she will be stopped from doing this to anyone else again.

I am glad to hear that your father is doing better -- now you can take a deep breath and get your heart rate normal again!

Grouphug

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by RIgirl on 09-05-2012 at 14:13.
No new posts 09-05-2012 14:12 RIgirl is offline Send an Email to RIgirl Search for Posts by RIgirl Add RIgirl to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Wow, EW, that's unbelievable! Both things! I can see why you call these 'anvils'.

I am so glad that in both cases everything has turned out to be okay. Yet I can only imagine how much stress this put you under. Huggles

No new posts 09-05-2012 14:24 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

EW massive big hugs will be sent your way through the next 24 hours.

Life can give you the absolute sh!ts in big doses and you are just left bewildered and saying "what just happened?"

In saying that, you dad will be home soon, and there is one less deranged person off the street.

I've taken to having a bunch of pillows on the floor, throwing my self on them having a good "2 year old tantum (waving of limbs optional) and yelling into a pillow, it doesn't fix the problems or situations, but it helps my stress levels, if that doesn't work for you having a good scream in the car while driving works as well

ps It does get better, just changes how you see the world.Huggles

No new posts 09-05-2012 14:38 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

sending lots of hugs your way EW. Hug Hug Hug
Hug
It's certainly not the kind of news you want to be hearing, but it seems that everything will be resolved to everyones satisfaction one way or another.

No new posts 09-05-2012 15:21 KT1972 is online Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer

Wow, EW...two surprises in your life that no one should have...Hope things get better soon, and am glad to hear your father is on the mend.

No new posts 09-05-2012 20:02 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Eek2 Hope your all OK dealing with it all!

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 09-05-2012 20:47 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

Thank goodness they caught that nut job. Did you get bad vibes from him or was it a total shock?

That social worker needs to find a new job. You could sue her for mental duress. That's unconscionable.

I hope your Dad is feeling better.

No new posts 10-05-2012 00:20 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Cep
Eek2 Hope your all OK dealing with it all!

Now that I've gotten past the initial shock of it all, I'm doing okay.* (Thanks, Cep!) Plus, if anybody decides to write my biography, this period will make it one heck of a story! Waiting

* If I thought it would help, I'd start carrying a tiny umbrella with me to hide under the next time an anvil drops!

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
Thank goodness they caught that nut job. Did you get bad vibes from him or was it a total shock?

Actually, I never met him. He lived just far enough away that I wouldn't socialize with him as easily as I would with someone on my block. But he was located in a spot where I'd frequently pass by, and I used to go by there more frequently before I was in the wheelchair, because I used to walk or ride my bike quite often. I guess I (thankfully) didn't have that certain "something" that would have caught his attention!

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
That social worker needs to find a new job. You could sue her for mental duress.

I don't think you realize how true that is -- she was booted out of there so fast her rear end has road rash! While I did think about a lawsuit for a moment, I figure that she's already getting hit with the consequences of her actions, plus I'm sure one or two other families will be taking that course. If I or one of my family members had suffered a heart attack, a stroke, or some other long-term harm, then I might have consulted a lawyer. As it stands now, this will be yet another "believe it or not" chapter in the strange tale that is my family history! Book

No new posts 10-05-2012 01:22 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Yikes!! I'm not sure which is scarier here -what that social worker did or that you had a serial killer in your neighborhood!

Glad, at any rate, that they've both been caught!

No new posts 10-05-2012 02:02 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: