Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Belated SDCCI Friday Report
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Belated SDCCI Friday Report
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mad Katharine Mad Katharine is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-04-2010

spacer
Belated SDCCI Friday Report Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Big-World and all the fanbrats that be...we're reporting live from sunny, loud and crowded as all hell San Diego where all of the Gaslamp Quarter has just been overtaken by a giant "Adventure Time" show grand parade; Stormtrooper Elvis is performing live at the House of Blues; and Cirque du Soleil acrobats will soon be dangling down the south side of Petco Park:

Man, has it gotten crazy at this 'con or what?

We had another packed-table Gatcha-fan gathering at lunch Friday, with Hinotori no Jun, Condoru no Joe, and *GASP!!* for the FIRST TIME EVER- a Devil Star!! The costume was excellent with a very scary looking mask and an array of rose-grenades as accessories. Also for the first time ever: a Tsubakoru no Jinpei!!! After lunch, we paid a visit to artist Cliff Chiang, who produced some excellent Gatchaman character art a couple years ago, and bought the last of his prints. While there, he shared from his iPad a model sheet he'd been commissioned to do last year as a pitch to reboot a Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets comic. The designs were an updated look to the characters that remained relatively faithful to the looks of the originals but with a notable change made to Ryu/Tiny: he got buff! (*wolf-whistle*) Unfortunately, the idea never made it past the "hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." stage, and fizzled shortly thereafter.

Dinner was hosted by our good friend Jason Hofius, who proceeded to amuse (read: torture) us with video clips of Gatchaman and BotP spinoff animation from a variety of countries and sources: there was the Megas XLR episode featuring the return of the "S-Force" BotP/Volron spoof; a Spanish kids troupe in bird-style costumes singing the Spanish BotP dub theme songs; a Sandy Frank-produced reboot of the series that like the aforementioned Chiang comic never left the launch pad, featuring an updated (read: horrible) CGI Zark padding re-edited original footage and a fresh crop of voice actors reciting an updated script with bad 1990's slang instead of bad 1970's slang and an actor who had to be sucking helium before reciting Jason's lines. Most enjoyable and interesting was a Jameson Brewer episode commentary from one of the BotP DVD releases where he's talking about his early days in animation and how the BotP series came to be. Basically, he noted how violent the source material was, how the American political climate of the time wouldn't stand for such on childrens' television, and how he had to cut it up and put it back together again with new scripting and Zark-padding.

In other news, the CCI-management's allotment of 2012 four-day advance sales passes sold out within three nanoseconds. The thundering hordes of con-goers seemed to be crowded most around the big network pavilions such as G-4, Sci-Fi, Warner Brothers, etc and the big toy companies, hoping for either a crack at a glimpse of a superstar or a 'con exclusive toy. The small-press and artists alley areas, and the larger individual artists and writers pavilions seemed to be more sparsely populated. This is sad proof that the original focus of SDCCI has shifted from equal attention to all genres classic and new to whatever is currently on or about to be released on television.

I think I'll be turning my sights to WonderCon from now on.

No new posts 24-07-2011 00:42 Mad Katharine is offline Send an Email to Mad Katharine Search for Posts by Mad Katharine Add Mad Katharine to your Buddy List
Dragonsbain Dragonsbain is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-04-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thank you for the great reports. Have a great weekend.

No new posts 24-07-2011 04:39 Dragonsbain is offline Send an Email to Dragonsbain Search for Posts by Dragonsbain Add Dragonsbain to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
RE: Belated SDCCI Friday Report Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Katharine
and *GASP!!* for the FIRST TIME EVER- a Devil Star!!

You mean this weirdo? Can't imagine who that could have been! Laugh2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathaninsandiego/5971717900/

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 27-07-2011 at 15:21.
No new posts 27-07-2011 15:21 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Wow. Iy is an interesting costume.

I'm sorry to hear the Con hasn't been as good as in previosu years, Katharine. It seesm to have gotten too big now.

No new posts 27-07-2011 20:57 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Dragonsbain Dragonsbain is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-04-2011

spacer

Beautiful costume.

No new posts 28-07-2011 02:09 Dragonsbain is offline Send an Email to Dragonsbain Search for Posts by Dragonsbain Add Dragonsbain to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

It was a beautiful costume, LB. You should be proud of the work you did to create it.

No new posts 28-07-2011 03:00 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks!

I'm impressed that whoever posted that comment on the Flickr photo knew what character the costume is supposed to be! Admittedly, it is rather obscure.

No new posts 28-07-2011 12:53 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

I was amazed as well when I read that.

No new posts 28-07-2011 16:13 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Imagine how terrifying that would be on a real assassin. No expression, almost no view of the eyes, no individuality. (And then imagine a half-dozen of them coming at you.)Devilstar

No new posts 28-07-2011 22:29 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I have to admit, it was fun, being evil! Laugh2 In one instance, a woman looking up from a booth and catching sight of me actually was genuinely startled and sort of went "Eek!"

I agree -there's always something rather disturbing or unsettling about a mask.

No new posts 29-07-2011 05:13 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: