Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Some people shouldn't drive
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Some people shouldn't drive
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer
Some people shouldn't drive Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

My car died on an off ramp earlier today, and in such a manner that I could not safely maneuver it off of the roadway. Immediately, I turned on my hazard flashers. I lost track of the number of idiots that could not see them or just plan didn't pay attention and drove right up on my tail.

Of course these were better than the friendly blonde who stopped and told me that I would be safer standing along side my car than sitting in it with my seat belt on. The friendly CHP (California Highway Patrol, for those of you who are not US West Coast or have survived without every watching Eric Estrada in CHiPs), officer who stopped to see that I was all right had a good laugh at that and told reassured me that in the vehicle is always safest unless the vehicle is damaged.

Or the nice strawberry blonde who walked up to my window and interrupted my conversation with road service to ask if she could help me push my van uphill and out of the way. I do give her credit that she was thinking that it was too much for one person and getting the car our of traffic was a necessity, but it takes three men to push the thing on flat surface, and this gal was smaller than me.

It took over half an hour for the Police to come and make it safe to back the van out of traffic, and then it wasn't even an officer, but a volunteer, but he was nice and helpful. The CHP officer showed up shortly after he left.

But really, how can people consider themselves safe drivers when they can't pay attention to cars in front of them or even be aware of personal safety. And of course I must be safer on the side of the intersection next to a dead car with no physical damage, than inside of it with a seatbelt, an airbag, and lots of steel and industrial grade plastic.

No offense meant to any blondes, just a necessity to rant. The car by the way may really be dead. The first two mechanics have ruled out transmissions, fuel system, ignition system, which leaves the computer. Cars ran just fine for decades without computers, why do they need them now?

No new posts 26-10-2009 23:35 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'm sorry to he3ar about your car, Amethyst, and I'm glad you were able to get it off of the road safely, and without further damage. Huggles

No new posts 27-10-2009 00:23 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thank you! I'm glad that I was just on 29 and not out on 4, 680, or 101. That would have been a nightmare. This was just stressful and frustrating. Hug

No new posts 27-10-2009 00:29 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Sorry to hear about your car Amethyst. I hope you discover what the problem is and it does not cost too much to repair it.

Of course if it is a 'computer' thing it will cost a lot of money, that is why they put computers in cars so they could charge us MORE. Knifeyspoony

No new posts 27-10-2009 00:52 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I know; I worked at a dealership in high school, doing filing for the service department. In most cars pre-1990, I can tell what the problem is or at least narrow it down for the mechanic with 90% accuracy. I hate the service writers who look to my husband when discussing the problem. The don't know quite how to react when I start responding. I've been tempted several times to tell them, oh don't worry about him, he's just here to settle the finances and about the only thing he knows about cars is how to fill the gas tank and top off the oil. However, with the 1990's and above as computers became more prolific, I can only guess, but I still talk to mechanics more than he does.

No new posts 27-10-2009 02:13 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I've witnessed two accidents at the exact same location the last two night. We have a bicycle/jogging path path that crosses a major two lane road that has a 45 mph speed limit. The path has stop signs on both sides for the bicyclists/joggers. Not just one, but two to make a point. The road has a yellow warning sign showing a bike about 20 feet from the path on both directions.

Driving north on the road, the crossing is at the bottom of a hill that is not visible until you're within 100 yards of it.

I lived in Germany for severl years and know it is law there that a car has to stop for a bicycle crossing, but that is not a law in the US, yet numerous drivers stop to be 'nice' to allow the bicyclists/joggers to cross the road.

Last night, someone stopped so the rest of us coming over the crest of the hill had to slam our brakes. A motocycles two vehicles behind me was unable to stop in time and put his bike down in the other lane. The bike slid all ther way to the crossing and he rolled. Luckily, he had on full leather gear but we still had to call for an ambulence because he broke his ankle.

Tonight, a car stopped and got rear ended.

I wish people would look up what a street/traffic signs mean and stop trying to be nice at other people's expense.

No new posts 28-10-2009 20:59 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

Its not much fun being stranded! When I reading your post I half expected the Condor to stop and offer to fix your car....or give you to tow.

Sounds like a lot of Sydney drivers, impatient, and don't look and wonder why they run up the back of someone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 28-10-2009 at 21:32.
No new posts 28-10-2009 21:31 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Huggles Amethyst! Glad you're safe!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 28-10-2009 22:04 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Were they blue-eyed blondes? True blondes? Or had the peroxide blanched their brains?

Yeah, it's not fun being stuck by the side of a busy road. I had the experience of a car dying while I was on 285 here in Atlanta. I turned on the hazard lights and tried to get over as my car slowed down, and people acted as if I were doing this deliberately. ARGH!

No new posts 28-10-2009 22:11 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Glad to see your ok Amethyst , even if the car is screwed. Also I agree about the darn computers... we went years without, now it's just a money trap.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 29-10-2009 03:26 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It was the air flow sensor; the timing belt and water pump were ready to go and the engine mounts were starting to crack, but they also recommended brakes and plugs. As my husband was telling me this and asking what we should do (he does finances, not cars), I told the dealership does the sensor and engine work, and do it all while everything's torn apart rather than waiting and paying for it to be torn apart again. We have someone better with brakes than the dealer and same goes for servicing and they'd have the records on the plugs, which I think were done not too long ago.

I love the man, but he is clueless with cars. He came home a month ago, and I walked outside and asked him why my car was hissing and he looked at me and said "huh?" I walked around the car and back to my original spot and asked him what he ran over to make my tire go flat.

Being stranded wouldn't have been that bad, except my husband cancelled our AAA road service when he switched insurance companies, in favor of the one offered with the insurance. Geico may have more affordable insurance, but their road service is crap and I'll be going back to AAA as soon as I can.

My first few cars were mechanic specials so I don't mind being stranded, I just wait. It was people who were trying to be helpful, but weren't and the people that were supposed to be helpful, but weren't that was stressful. And of course, the repair bill that is on the way.

No new posts 29-10-2009 15:33 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

A man who doesn't think his Y chromosome gives him automotive expertise. Wow.

Yeah, it always seems to pour rather than rain when it comes to cars. And best to get it over with at once if you can. If not, go with the most important things first. At other times, I can tell you (from automotive and building maintenance experience) that doing the stuff when the problem is small is a lot better than waiting. You have a chance to schedule a proper repair, and it may not cost as much. If you wait, the failure WILL happen at the least convenient time for you (the office door lock will jam 15 minutes before the end of the work day --- with your ID and car keys on the other side from you; the car engine will produce white smoke on SUNDAY when you're in a small town).

I have AAA. Haven't had to use it yet. (My mother had gotten me a road plan through AARP, which I changed after events suggested I wanted to keep our mail separate should we end up living together again. The AARP was pretty good.)

No new posts 29-10-2009 16:35 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Don't worry, he more than makes up for it with sports. Before we got married he was coaching two baseball teams, three or four basketball teams, and was in two fantasy baseball leagues. And football is baned from the TV in our house, not because I don't like; I just don't want the argument that will come with it because we like rival teams. Although, I am allowed to visit his parents during football season, but he is not.

Also, he has no sense of direction (fortunately, I do, but only if I've been to a place before), but, typically, he does not stop and ask for directions. He also has to drive, he's gotten better in town; I've just given in on that, he's such a nervous passenger that it carries over to me.

No new posts 29-10-2009 17:38 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Sounds like you and your DH have a good division of labor in your house, Amethyst!

I'm not very knowledgeable about cars, but I can honestly say that I have changed tires all by myself, including 80% of one tire change when I was 8.5 months pregnant! (I just needed someone to help be take off the bolts, because I couldn't push hard enough to loosen them.

I've had AAA since I started driving. I've only used it once for a tow though, and that was for DH's car! But I make up the cost of it in hotel savings every year.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 29-10-2009 at 21:53.
No new posts 29-10-2009 21:53 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I've never changed a tire; that's why I always had AAA. But I have done fuses and added just about every possible fluid. When I was single, and driving the cars I bought off the mechanics I worked with, I had several of them towed. At least I only had to pay for parts back then.

No new posts 29-10-2009 22:01 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

My Dad always did oil changes and other forms of relatively basic auto maintenance/repair himself, when I was a kid. Somehow, I never acquired any of this knowledge myself, although my brother did (he bought an old Toyota Tercel as an undergrad, rebuilt the engine himself and then drove it for years).

But, my boyfriend, as a cash-strapped undergrad, apparently had about 3 or 4 old cars at any given time and managed to keep at least one of them road-worthy at all times, doing the work himself. Currently, he is the only reason that my old car is still running okay (albeit with quirks), as he does a lot of things to it himself, but also knows when it's time to take it to a mechanic and about how much the mechanic ought to charge for their work.

Your husband is lucky to have you, Amethyst.

No new posts 30-10-2009 00:10 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Cars with quirks are the best kind. I'd take my old Mustang with leaky transmission over any of the cars that I've had since. Just needed to remember to add a quart of tranny fluid every three to four weeks and it ran perfectly, and if I forgot, well the little slip between gears always reminded me.

No new posts 30-10-2009 00:52 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Sorry to hear about your car, Amethyst, but I'm glad that you're ok. Yours was not so much of an enjoyable situation!

I am looking up to most of you reading that you are so self-sufficient when it comes to faulty cars or to changing a tyre! I always rely on my DH or my road service company as I never tried to do these things myself! Fortunately enough it's only twice that I had a puncture in ten years since I bought my present car (a Seat Cordoba) but I had it towed once when a van drove right into it, literally crashing it against the wall of the car park where it was parked! It was only a year and one month old and immaculately kept! I had to stay for over a year without my car as its damage was so extensive to repair (around 10,000 USD equivalent to Maltese Liri) not leaving out the time I spent waiting for the parts to come from abroad, some of them being sent erroneously!

My DH has a worn out Lada Samara (a Russian car) which he won't change until "it keeps on working!" he says, as, although it has lots of wear and tear and burns a lot of petrol, with many parts of it having to be fixed every now and then which generally are handled by my DH himself, its always reliable and its body is as tough as that of a tank!

No new posts 30-10-2009 18:47 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh, Marie, yikes! That's why I keep full insurance coverage on my primary vehicle. Most insurance companies would junk out something that would take that long to fix. Of course, I also think that we tend to take things like that for granted and that we are becoming an increasingly disposable society.

No new posts 30-10-2009 22:25 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

My car insurance was always fully comprehensive but my insurance company didn't want to grade it as "total loss" because, to do so, the expense of the damages had to be over three-fourths of the whole value of the car and, as my car was almost new and had only a one year depreciation deducted, the expenses didn't exceed the amount by just a small fraction! Moreover, the guarantee expired by just one month!

No new posts 31-10-2009 07:46 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: