Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Facebook games and grammar
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Facebook games and grammar
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer
Facebook games and grammar Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'm not a fan of the facebook games, but I usually don't mind seeing what my friends have been up to when playing their games. However one thing has always annoyed me: the use of their as a singular/a-genderal pronoun!

They and their are not substitutes for the lack of a unisex singular pronoun in the English language! They and their are plural pronouns, they is a subjective pronoun (defines the subject) and their is a possessive pronoun (defines possession).

While awkward, but until programmers can put a gender option in those updates, his/her or even her/his would be the grammatically correct option.

No new posts 16-06-2010 21:11 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hangonaminute

You're on facebook?! Do I have you added as yet?

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 16-06-2010 22:01 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

yes you do, but I make about as many posts as you do Wink

No new posts 16-06-2010 22:03 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

SJ, just made an FB post about our basketball hoop which has been adopted by the whole neighborhood crashing and burning.

No new posts 16-06-2010 22:14 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

I knowwhat you mean. As all of these games are java based, it's a line of code that is all they need to look at the gender of the person registered and put the appropriate thing in.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 16-06-2010 22:28 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It's been awhile since I took any programming classes (*cough-highschoolfreshman-cough*), but it couldn't be much more than a line or two of code, particularly since it already has names.

No new posts 16-06-2010 22:34 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

:blushes:

I am so rarely on facebook anymore ... I am here all the time instead!!

Much more fun.

Just caught your post ... LOL's ... I can just see a King of the Hill moment where all the boys show up witht heir tool kits to offer to help fix it ...

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 16-06-2010 22:42 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I wish! The base and the backboard are shot, but they boys were brainstorming ideas. Big 5 has on sale through this weekend. Since the whole neighborhood adopted it, I offered to drive a few of the kids to Napa to pick a new one up if everyone can contribute $15/20 for it and the sand for the base. We can't do it on our own and this one will stay here if/when we move again.

No new posts 16-06-2010 23:04 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: