Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman » BotP Question
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page BotP Question
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
BotP Question Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'm reading Ennien's Prisoner of War, and I notice that Princess is referred to as 'Dove', and Jason as 'Hawk.'

I haven't found those designations in the Hofius book (yet), and other fanfics have used 'Swan' and 'Condor.'

Anyone know which is canon, and which is fanon?

When I was watching it originally, I believe I figured Jason was costumed as a hawk or other raptor, but I don't remember what I thought Princess might be.

No new posts 04-03-2010 04:15 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

In Eagle Riders, the Bird Names are different. Hunter is the Hawk, Joe is the Falcon, Kelly is the Dove. Mickey and Ollie are still the Swallow and the Owl.

As far as BOTP is concerned, though, in canon there are no bird names at all.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 04-03-2010 at 14:33.
No new posts 04-03-2010 04:23 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Well, it was pretty obvious that Mark was supposed to be an eagle. Tiny's bird affiliation is plain, as is Keyop (if you can get a look at his cape). Leaving Jason and Princess. Of course, if you get a look at her shadow, you know she's a swan.

Leaving Jason as not very obvious. I doubt a condor would have occurred to anyone who didn't know the Gatch original.

Thank you.

No new posts 04-03-2010 04:39 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

No - I would have used Hawk or Falcon for Jason myself.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 04-03-2010 06:21 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

If I recall, I was aware that Tiny was meant to be an owl, and that the shape of Mark's and Jason's visors resembled some kind of birds of prey, but I don't think I ever got further than that.

No new posts 04-03-2010 06:23 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
MrVampire MrVampire is a Male

I am a Galactor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-12-2009

spacer

I use to think Jason was a Hawk back in the day.

Galactor Space Cats! Galactor

I'll write something else entertaining here eventually...

No new posts 04-03-2010 09:51 MrVampire is offline Send an Email to MrVampire Homepage of MrVampire Search for Posts by MrVampire Add MrVampire to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

I kinda got Mark was an Eagle, but I thought that Jason was a Falcon or a Hawk.

We don't have Swallows here (not that I'm aware of) so I could never work out what Keyop was supposed to be...

For some reason the best I could come up with was Hummingbird....

No new posts 04-03-2010 09:59 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
MrVampire MrVampire is a Male

I am a Galactor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-12-2009

spacer

Keyop looks like one of those green ducks.

Galactor Space Cats! Galactor

I'll write something else entertaining here eventually...

No new posts 04-03-2010 11:06 MrVampire is offline Send an Email to MrVampire Homepage of MrVampire Search for Posts by MrVampire Add MrVampire to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

And now: where did the idea that Jason/Joe carries poisoned shuriken come from?

I don't remember any references in Gatch to poison on the darts.

No new posts 04-03-2010 11:37 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

James will know for sure, of course, but I think the idea of poison is pretty clear just frmo the way the goons keel over from being hit with a single feather. After all, if they were just pointed tips, it would take a heck of a lot of them to kill a person.

No new posts 04-03-2010 14:34 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

And I believe that traditionally Shuriken were poisoned as well.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 04-03-2010 15:06 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

I also believe that shuriken used by ninjas were sometimes poisoned and sometimes not ... at least from what I can recall seeing in other films and anime. I also think that, in the case of non-poisonous shuriken, it is most important at what vital part of a body it is thrown so as to provoke a lethal injury.

No new posts 04-03-2010 19:41 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

I agree -I don't think any mention of poison is ever made in the series and that it's likely all fanon, based on the fact that Galactor goons hit with even one of Joe's shuriken seem to drop too quickly for it to be solely due to a piercing injury. Then again, a mere swipe from Ken's boomerang seems to kill them pretty quickly too!

The "poison" assumption has always seemed logical to me though. If I used shuriken, I'd put poison in them!

No new posts 04-03-2010 22:50 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I'll have to pay attention next time I watch some eps, but I think that the darts hit an artery or some other vital area whenever someone definitely dies.

The show wasn't very graphic when people died. But you knew that they died.

No new posts 04-03-2010 23:16 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I think a lot of us just took the designations from Gatch and applied them to BotP.

There are fics that have Jason as the Hawk and Princess as the Dove. I just think its personal preference.

In many of my BotP fics, I use both the call signs of G-1 through G-5 and the bird designations. I always hated the team using their first names over their bracelets.

No new posts 04-03-2010 23:44 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Becky RockIn many of my BotP fics, I use both the call signs of G-1 through G-5 and the bird designations. I always hated the team using their first names over their bracelets.

Now that I agree with completely. In fact I don't have them call each other by first name any time they are in full UNIFORM, not just over their bracelets. Although there are a few times they will use their names when they are sure they are alone and then when the helmet is removed. Otherwise they maintain formality.

No new posts 05-03-2010 01:52 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

BTW: since watching Gatch I had/have converted G2's bird designation to Condor in my stories. But I had always thought of him as an Osprey - a large "dark" winged bird with a larger wingspan than most Hawks I knew. Or a vulture with its wingspan even larger than the eagle which I which I always imagined Jason's to be since he was taller than Mark.

I knew Mark was an Eagle, Princess was a Swan, Tiny was an owl and Keyop was the swallow. Although Keyop's bird designation changed to Merlin after his disappearance (public death announcement) and then return.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 05-03-2010 at 02:54.
No new posts 05-03-2010 02:02 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
WadeInLincoln WadeInLincoln is a Male

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-03-2010

spacer
RE: BotP Question Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
I'm reading Ennien's Prisoner of War, and I notice that Princess is referred to as 'Dove', and Jason as 'Hawk.'

I haven't found those designations in the Hofius book (yet), and other fanfics have used 'Swan' and 'Condor.'

Anyone know which is canon, and which is fanon?

Forgive the new guy here..... these books you speak of (Ennien & Hofius), what are they? I tried looking on the Gatchaman Goods Page for them but only found some OVA novels.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by WadeInLincoln on 15-03-2010 at 15:03.
No new posts 15-03-2010 15:02 WadeInLincoln is offline Send an Email to WadeInLincoln Search for Posts by WadeInLincoln Add WadeInLincoln to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys...but Ennien is another fanfic writer...
and Jason Holfius wrote a book about "Battle of the Planets"...I have a copy...let's see if I can find a link...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 15-03-2010 15:13 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Holfius' Book

I highly recommend it!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 15-03-2010 15:16 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
[1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (5): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: