Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Where are All These Countries?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Where are All These Countries?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
Where are All These Countries? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

And how to actually spell those names. I've used the spellings in the ADV subtitles.

Where would these places be on a map of the world? We could have some fun speculating. When we do, back it up by visual evidence from the episodes in question (and James can consult his reference materials).

(Let's keep the various Gatch incarnations separate.)

Ameris/Amerisama seems to be a stand-in for the United States. Except for one subtitle that uses 'Kingdom of Ameris' in the ep with the underground city. 'Bluestone National Park', with a version of Mount Rushmore, is a pretty obvious indicator. And the skyscraper-dominated city beside the ocean looks like someone's conception of Manhattan.

The subcontinents of Africa and South America are mentioned by name.

So are Japan, Kenya, Canada, Bora Bora, and Newfoundland.

According to the subtitles on ADV, New York is mentioned in the 'Giant Mummy That Summons Storms.'

There really is a Karakoram, and it's in the location given for the Galactor main base. (Where did they get the 'Cross'?)

The ADV subs and dubs call it Jutland City, and everyone here uses Utoland. I've figured it was somewhere in Europe (given that Jinpei drives to the Himalayas, and Ken easily nips over to Hontwarl).

No new posts 24-10-2009 16:52 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'll let James answer your question for Gatch I, but in Gatchaman Fighter, it's pretty clear that they are fighting in Europe, as a giant map of Europe is often displayed. In fact, the location of the Gatchaman Base is revealed to be north of Norway, near the Arctic Circle (I believe).

No new posts 24-10-2009 17:58 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I agree with you, TJ! In most episodes of Gatch F, in my opinion, it's clear that the majority of the countries are European!

No new posts 24-10-2009 20:56 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
nuni nuni is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-09-2009

spacer

Jutland is a peninsula of land in Denmark that is connected to continental Europe and "juts" out into the North Sea towards Norway. The hubby and I were there a few years back and its a beautiful windswept place. At the northern tip of Jutland, in a town named Skagen, you can walk out onto this sandbar way out into the ocean and waves come crashing around you from all directions.

No new posts 24-10-2009 21:02 nuni is offline Send an Email to nuni Search for Posts by nuni Add nuni to your Buddy List
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-08-2006

spacer

Images of Karakorum look similar - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karakorum

For me gatchs live in Japan, after all it`s anime and they have Japanese names.

Breathe in and breathe out

No new posts 24-10-2009 21:15 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Gatchamania member Striscia Bianca`s location is Gatchina and when we greeted her some of you paid attention to this title and I promised to post the theory about this town as Gatch homeland, so…
It`s a humor text but ALL THE FACTS ARE REAL, believe me.

Part I. Etymology and infrastructure
Of course, the title of this town gives us a hint, but our crazy scientists wouldn`t be crazy if they rely only on this fact. So they pursued research (some of them even joined scientific expedition) and now have a clear idea of Gatch homeland.
Gatchina = Utoland? Yes, оf course.
Why people from Tatsunoko studio decided to rename Gatchina? We surpose, it was done for secrecy, but for us it isn`t a secret already. Our scientists have three versions how the word «Utoland» was created:
- «Utoland» is based on the Russian word «utka»(=«wild dick») because of bird`s natural habitat at this area. The territory of birds, do you take the hint?
- «Utoland» is based on the word «Utopia». Actually, Paul I, the Grand Duke, put much effort, energy and money to turn Gatchina from small village to sublime city.
- «Utoland» is based on the Russian words «utopnut`» or «top`» (=«bog»). The territory around Saint-Peterburg is full of mires and even magnificent SPb is often called «bogs-and-skeletons-city» in popular etymology.
Ok, let`s look at the street`s titles: Red Squadron Street (!!!), Aviator Avenue. The fact that the first Russian air military school and military airdrome is also nonrandom one. There are also scientific research institutes which specialize in nuclear physics and atomic energy and factories which specialize in aviation engines, ship`s instrument-making and pyrotechnics. And even dairy factory is called «Galactika».

To be continued.

Objections wanted, but our scientists have proofs for all the facts. They KNOW THE TRUTH, hehehe.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by yul on 24-10-2009 at 22:36.
No new posts 24-10-2009 22:35 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Where would these places be on a map of the world? We could have some fun speculating. When we do, back it up by visual evidence from the episodes in question (and James can consult his reference materials).

Honestly, I doubt that Tatsunoko ever gave it much thought, at least not until Gatchaman Fighter.

quote:
Ameris/Amerisama

As I've said before on this forum (Before you were here) there is no "Amerisama" in Gatchaman. I have no idea where that came from, or why it keeps coming back, but just wipe that particular name from your memory.

The three countries with "Ameri..." is their name that appeared in the series were Ameris, which was first named in episode #11 and used a variety of times after that. It's name is likely a combination of the Japanese names for America ("Amerika") and England ("Igirisu").

Amerishima, from episode #23, is a country where a city attacked by Mecha-Ball is located, and is never heard from again.

Ameria, from episode #43, is a country that had been in a long war with Bien, but recently signed a peace treaty. Julia came from Ameria, Romina from Bien.

Yes, Bluestone Park is a fairly obvious analogy to Yellowstone, and the faces in the mountainside sure look a lot like Mt. Rushmore, but it's certainly not an exact analogy, since I don't recall any volcanos or oceans being located in South Dakota.

When were Canada, Kenya, Bora Bora, and Newfoundland mentioned? Japan I remember from episode #3. At what point in that episode do they mention New York?

The exact location of Utoland is never shown, and we don't know for certain that Jinpei drove all the way to the Himilaya or how far Ken went to get to Hontwal.

quote:
in Gatchaman Fighter, it's pretty clear that they are fighting in Europe, as a giant map of Europe is often displayed

In the series itself, the continent is called Irope, not Europe. The names of the various countries located therein are also likewise mutated.

quote:
Jutland is a peninsula of land in Denmark

And is probably where ADV got their spelling for Utoland from, despite it not being what is accepted by fans on both sides of the Pacific.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 25-10-2009 at 11:49.
No new posts 25-10-2009 00:50 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

My info is from subtitles and dubs. So if ADV screwed up, I perpetuated the error.

In the third episode (according to the subtitles) New York is mentioned during the scene where the disguised Katse is being interviewed by the press. A background intercom announcement.

Canada and Newfoundland (according to the dub and subtitles) were mentioned in the same episode as Jinpei's famous line, 'They say the Titanic sank because it hit an iceberg, but I bet that was Galactor's fault, too.' Dr. Nambu compared the loss of life on a sunken ship to that of the Titanic.

'Lay a Trap in the Crescent Base' mentions (again, in subtitles and dub) Bora Bora as one of the places housing a Galactor base.

'Kenya' got a shout-out in 'The Devil's Airline', when Director Anderson comments on the fake stewardess's brooch. She says she got it in Kenya.

Now, I swear I heard Amerisama/sima in some of the dubs in the 'Neon Giant' episode, even when the subtitles said 'Ameris'.

I deduced that Ameria and Bien were in the Balkans (or close to that area) based on the apparent ethnic mix shown in the airport scene. 'Ilya' is a Slavic name, and I thought I saw some folks who could be Muslim.

I put Doria in the area of Iran, Iraq or Kuwait. The oil.

Tritan is mentioned only once, so I have no clue.

I knew that 'Jutland' wasn't the place in Denmark (and I thought it was named for the ethnic group known as the 'Jutes'). I did figure it for somewhere in Europe. On the coast, because the trash island and the whale-mecha attack.

Since Ken lands at his airfield while searching for the Cata-roller (last seen in Hontwarl), I figured Jutland/Utoland had to be next to Hontwarl.

Jinpei driving to the Himalayas made sense because he still had his buggy. Unless he went to Birdstyle and violated a dozen nations' airspaces on his way.

I figured Asham was another stand-in for India. The Mughul part, perhaps, given the onion domes in the background. (Alternate history time, kids!)

Never figured out Amerishima.

Making up your own geography saves you from the embarrassment of getting things wrong. When your plots require you to say that Nation X is in the enemy's pocket (or about to be), you avoid annoying the people of a real nation.

I was using the spelling KarakorAm (the subtitles). This is an area in the Himalayas, spanning the borders between India, Pakistan, and China. Tectonically active.

Lots of fic fun.

Looks like I'll be heading back to redo 'Jutland' as 'Utoland.'

(Oh, 'Egobosura' probably sounds a lot niftier than 'Egobossler.' As long as the speaker is Japanese.)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by UnpublishedWriter on 25-10-2009 at 12:51.
No new posts 25-10-2009 12:45 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Do you remember this scene from the 1st part of Jigokillers?

We even found where and how it was shooted.

Besides, this Gatch building and Gatchina Priorate Castle have much in common:

No new posts 25-10-2009 12:50 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Haha-that's just perfect! Good eye, Yul!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 25-10-2009 12:59 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by yul
Gatchamania member Striscia Bianca`s location is Gatchina and when we greeted her some of you paid attention to this title and I promised to post the theory about this town as Gatch homeland, so…
It`s a humor text but ALL THE FACTS ARE REAL, believe me.

Part I. Etymology and infrastructure
Of course, the title of this town gives us a hint, but our crazy scientists wouldn`t be crazy if they rely only on this fact. So they pursued research (some of them even joined scientific expedition) and now have a clear idea of Gatch homeland.
Gatchina = Utoland? Yes, оf course.
Why people from Tatsunoko studio decided to rename Gatchina? We surpose, it was done for secrecy, but for us it isn`t a secret already. Our scientists have three versions how the word «Utoland» was created:
- «Utoland» is based on the Russian word «utka»(=«wild dick») because of bird`s natural habitat at this area. The territory of birds, do you take the hint?
- «Utoland» is based on the word «Utopia». Actually, Paul I, the Grand Duke, put much effort, energy and money to turn Gatchina from small village to sublime city.
- «Utoland» is based on the Russian words «utopnut`» or «top`» (=«bog»). The territory around Saint-Peterburg is full of mires and even magnificent SPb is often called «bogs-and-skeletons-city» in popular etymology.
Ok, let`s look at the street`s titles: Red Squadron Street (!!!), Aviator Avenue. The fact that the first Russian air military school and military airdrome is also nonrandom one. There are also scientific research institutes which specialize in nuclear physics and atomic energy and factories which specialize in aviation engines, ship`s instrument-making and pyrotechnics. And even dairy factory is called «Galactika».

To be continued.

Objections wanted, but our scientists have proofs for all the facts. They KNOW THE TRUTH, hehehe.

Laugh2 Okay, I'm convinced!

I wish I lived in a "Gatch" city too.

No new posts 25-10-2009 13:26 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Striscia_bianca Striscia_bianca is a Female
Former Lurker

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-08-2009

spacer

Mecha at the sky is a usual event, townspeople aren`t in panic, they are accustomed to it.

Because they know that everything will be ok!

And G-lovo as bonus.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Striscia_bianca on 25-10-2009 at 13:57.
No new posts 25-10-2009 13:50 Striscia_bianca is offline Send an Email to Striscia_bianca Search for Posts by Striscia_bianca Add Striscia_bianca to your Buddy List Add Striscia_bianca to your Contact List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

So cute!! Biglaugh1

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 25-10-2009 14:04 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Striscia_bianca Striscia_bianca is a Female
Former Lurker

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-08-2009

spacer

Welcome to Gatchina!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Striscia_bianca on 25-10-2009 at 15:18.
No new posts 25-10-2009 14:42 Striscia_bianca is offline Send an Email to Striscia_bianca Search for Posts by Striscia_bianca Add Striscia_bianca to your Buddy List Add Striscia_bianca to your Contact List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

This information is awesome, guys! Thanks to all for the Gatch tour!

No new posts 25-10-2009 19:01 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
In the third episode (according to the subtitles) New York is mentioned during the scene where the disguised Katse is being interviewed by the press. A background intercom announcement.

Yep, you're right, it is there.

quote:
Canada and Newfoundland (according to the dub and subtitles) were mentioned in the same episode as Jinpei's famous line, 'They say the Titanic sank because it hit an iceberg, but I bet that was Galactor's fault, too.' Dr. Nambu compared the loss of life on a sunken ship to that of the Titanic.

Only Newfoundland is mentioned in the original Japanese, not Canada itself. So, while Newfoundland exists, Canada itself isn't a certainty.

quote:
'Kenya' got a shout-out in 'The Devil's Airline', when Director Anderson comments on the fake stewardess's brooch. She says she got it in Kenya.

Again, you're right, she does.

quote:
Now, I swear I heard Amerisama/sima in some of the dubs in the 'Neon Giant' episode, even when the subtitles said 'Ameris'.

Oh yes, they did indeed. That's an "ADV-ism," and is yet another reason why I highly recommend ignoring their dub in favor of the subs.

quote:
'Lay a Trap in the Crescent Base' mentions (again, in subtitles and dub) Bora Bora as one of the places housing a Galactor base.

That is an instance where ADV got it wrong. They weren't in Bora-Bora. Their base was located in the volcanic islands of Hora-Hora. They also had bases in Horo-Horo Bay and Cape Iro-Iro, the Hara-Hara Powerhouse, and two other unnamed locations. That same episode has Katse flee to Easter Island, but since that Easter Island has a city on it, not a bunch of Moai statues, I doubt that it's supposed to be the one we're familiar with.

quote:
Since Ken lands at his airfield while searching for the Cata-roller (last seen in Hontwarl), I figured Jutland/Utoland had to be next to Hontwarl.

Assuming that he's only searching for Caterroller in Hontwal, or that he hadn't just flown back from Hontwal with the rest of the Ninja Team in the God Phoenix...

quote:
Jinpei driving to the Himalayas made sense because he still had his buggy. Unless he went to Birdstyle and violated a dozen nations' airspaces on his way.

Which came up all of twice in the series (#'s 35 and 53), so I don't think they're too concerned about the airspace of other nations. Besides, flying there makes more sense than a kid on his own driving a car through the border crossings of a dozen nations uncontested.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 25-10-2009 at 23:31.
No new posts 25-10-2009 22:41 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I went by the dubs and subs because it was easier. Maybe 'Amerishima' IS Canada!

Oh, God, the military chatter that must go on when the SNT flies anywhere. Hey, LB, you have the military spouse. What's Air Force for 'Oh, crap, it's the SNT again'?

No new posts 25-10-2009 23:27 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: