Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Whither the Talker?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Whither the Talker?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
GrumpyGhostOwl GrumpyGhostOwl is a Female
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-12-2016

spacer
Whither the Talker? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Is the talker over at gatchfanfic.com still active? Does anyone still use it? Or is there another one in use nowadays?

I have fond memories of going over story ideas and dialogue and generally messing around on line in the days when text-based talkers were cutting edge technology!

No new posts 03-03-2017 01:11 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi GrumpyGhostOwl,

I don’t know about the other, but I’ve been maintaining an IRC talker channel for a short while as a trial. I recently made it permanent, so now is as good a time as any to mention it. If anyone wants to drop by to say hi, we’ll look forward to seeing you!

You’ll need an IRC client application to connect. Or, you can connect via the internet.

To connect via the internet, visit here:
https://www.rizon.net/chat

You'll have to create an account and then connect to the room #gcon

For software, I’m on a Mac and I use a free application named Colloquy. Here is the link to download it:
http://colloquy.info/downloads.html

It has versions for newer and older Mac OS X, so read to choose the one that will work for your machine.

A friend suggested AdiIRC for PC users. It’s also free. Here is a link to it:
https://www.adiirc.com

The following are steps to connect using Colloquy, but I’m sure any IRC client will have similar prompts and commands.

When you open the application, a window will come up saying "New Connection." 
In the Nickname window, pick a name for yourself. If you choose one that is already being used, the program will probably pick something similar, but you can pick until you get something you like.
Then under Server Protocol, choose "IRC Internet Relay Chat"
In the Chat Server scroll down and choose "irc.rizon.net" That's where I have the room hosted.
Then click on "Connect"

A new window will appear called "Connections."
Click on "Join Room"
In the "Chat Room" window, enter #gcon

Then a new window should appear, which will be the chat room. The topic of the room right now is "Up and running again!" so you'll know if you're in the right place.

If you have any problems connecting send me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

Hope to see some of you soon!

The Other Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by The Other Jason on 03-03-2017 at 04:22.
No new posts 03-03-2017 04:19 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Many years ago we had a live chat going with Gatchamanic's. It was good for a while. It had to be at least 7yrs ago.

No new posts 03-03-2017 11:50 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

On Saturdays some of us still go to the Gatchfanfic chat server in the Writing room.

Interesting, Jason. Smile I haven't used IRC in ages!

No new posts 03-03-2017 21:47 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
On Saturdays some of us still go to the Gatchfanfic chat server in the Writing room.

Interesting, Jason. Smile I haven't used IRC in ages!

Oh, cool. What time roughly? I know I'm thirteen hours ahead of Washington DC and I can work it out from there.

No new posts 03-03-2017 22:19 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

It's 5:21 pm on 4 March right now.

I'm at the gatchfanfic chat as I type this.

No new posts 04-03-2017 22:21 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

me too, come and join us!

No new posts 04-03-2017 22:40 KT1972 is online Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Great to catch up with everyone on Saturday night (Sunday morning at this Longitude.) It was nice to revisit the Talker, and even nicer that in these days of faster internet speeds, there wasn't any lag! (One of the not-so-good things about the good old days were 14.4 kbps dial-up modems.)

No new posts 07-03-2017 00:09 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Katblu42 Katblu42 is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-10-2016

spacer

I'd love to be able to get involved with such a chat, but I still can't register in Gatchfanfic which excludes me from that Frown

Jason, the IRC thing sounds a little complicated to me - but then I have next to no experience with chat rooms at all, and I'm not a computer person as such so I kind of get lost in the terminology at times.

No new posts 07-03-2017 04:56 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Katblu42
Jason, the IRC thing sounds a little complicated to me - but then I have next to no experience with chat rooms at all, and I'm not a computer person as such so I kind of get lost in the terminology at times.

Are you running a PC with Windows?

No new posts 07-03-2017 08:31 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Okay, I just tested out the AdIRC app and TheOtherJason was there in the room - good chat! Then I logged out and went to the web page. This is super easy.

All you do is go to https://www.rizon.net/chat where you'll get a login window. Just type in the username you want (no spaces) and in the channel field, type, #gcon, then click on "connect" and you're away. No password, no downloads, just chat.

You don't have to do any of the downloading app stuff unless you want to.

Maybe we should schedule something for next weekend so that more folks can check it out together.

Thanks, Jason!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by GrumpyGhostOwl on 07-03-2017 at 10:24.
No new posts 07-03-2017 08:56 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Katblu42 Katblu42 is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-10-2016

spacer

Ah, got it, cool!

Yes, I'm up for scheduling something. As I said, I'm a chat novice and I think maybe I'd feel better lurking around a larger group of chatters?

No new posts 07-03-2017 10:00 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
adrianag adrianag is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-07-2015

spacer

Hola!

I would love to join but here in Malaysia I'm 3 hrs behind Austrailia and 16 hrs ahead from USA (California). I could join the chat room on Saturday late night or Sunday very early morning.

Hope we could do it! Would be great to meet you all there!

Condor

Smile

No new posts 07-03-2017 16:14 adrianag is offline Send an Email to adrianag Search for Posts by adrianag Add adrianag to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Adrianag YIM Screenname: Adrianag MSN Screenname: Adrianag
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

I've never joined the chat room on Gatchfanfic, but now I'm tempted!

Let's see how the time difference will work out -- and whether Gatchfanfic will actually work. Last time I tried to go to the site to read fics, it didn't. Do you also have problems with Gatchfanfic occasionally?

No new posts 07-03-2017 17:10 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Gatchfanfic still has a problem with DNS hijackers, so sometimes if you try to go there you can't reach the site. I'm not sure how long it lasts. Sometimes I can get there an hour later and sometimes not.

No new posts 07-03-2017 20:22 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Gatchfanfic still has a problem with DNS hijackers, so sometimes if you try to go there you can't reach the site. I'm not sure how long it lasts. Sometimes I can get there an hour later and sometimes not.

Is that what it is? The whole blue-screen-of-ads thing is a bit of a pain, and since you can't get into the Gatchfanfic talker anyway if you don't have a login, and registrations are closed at the moment, it does exclude folk like Katblu42.

Jason's new talker doesn't require any IRC software unless you prefer using an IRC client over the webpage, so why not give that a try?

Adrianag, I'm in Western Australia, at GMT+8, which is pretty close to if not the same as your time zone, and I find people are still up and chatting early Sunday morning my time. I managed to catch up with a bunch of Gatchamaniacs last weekend.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by GrumpyGhostOwl on 08-03-2017 at 00:06.
No new posts 08-03-2017 00:05 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
adrianag adrianag is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-07-2015

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyGhostOwl

Adrianag, I'm in Western Australia, at GMT+8, which is pretty close to if not the same as your time zone, and I find people are still up and chatting early Sunday morning my time. I managed to catch up with a bunch of Gatchamaniacs last weekend.

Hola!

Yes! Actually, after you logged off yesterday, I came in. We missed each other for just a couple of minutes.

Glad to know that both of us have the same time zone. In my comment, I took in count Sydney time zone.

Let's see if on sAturday around 11:30-12 am (Sunday), someone will come up in Jason's chat room. I will be there, so I hope to meet you then.

Condor

animebutterfly

No new posts 08-03-2017 06:05 adrianag is offline Send an Email to adrianag Search for Posts by adrianag Add adrianag to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Adrianag YIM Screenname: Adrianag MSN Screenname: Adrianag
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer

Hi Katblu42,

quote:
Originally posted by Katblu42
I'd love to be able to get involved with such a chat, but I still can't register in Gatchfanfic which excludes me from that Frown

Glad you were able to make it on (and GrumpyGhostOwl), it was good to talk with you for a few minutes. I'm also glad the option to connect via the web worked. I'll hope to see and talk with many more of you soon!

The Other Jason
www.battloftheplanets.info

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by The Other Jason on 08-03-2017 at 07:18.
No new posts 08-03-2017 07:15 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

I consider myself internet-savvy... but now I know better: what's an IRC???

No new posts 08-03-2017 08:55 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. It was how people used to 'chat' in real life using text-based client software (applications) before the average modem got fast enough to support VoIP and video calling.

There are also web-based chat rooms that you can use to access IRC such as the one Jason has set up over at rizon.net.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by GrumpyGhostOwl on 08-03-2017 at 09:04.
No new posts 08-03-2017 09:02 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: