Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Chat » Have You Seen the Live Action Gatchaman Movie?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Have You Seen the Live Action Gatchaman Movie?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Have You Seen the Live Action Gatchaman Movie? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

Have you ever watched the live action Gatchaman movie? If you have, what did you think of it? What parts of the movie did you like, and what parts of it didn't work for you? Do you wish they'd made a sequel? Let's hear your thoughts on this addition to the Gatchaman universe!

James

No new posts 04-10-2016 01:01 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

James, you ask all of these interesting questions, but you never answer them yourself! I would like to know your POV on the movie!

I am presuming you are referring to the film that was released a couple of years ago in Japan. I have seen this movie. The first time I saw it, it was the original version entirely in Japanese. I watched with Springie and we made up our own dialogue and had so much fun! We really enjoyed it.

Then I was able to get a copy with English subtitles... and I was very disappointed. The character development is almost non-existent, and the little there is present is painful to watch. It's sad to think that with different dialogue it could have been a much better film.

It is clearly set up for a sequel, based on the 'credit sequence', but I don't trust them to do a good enough job with the story.

I wish the Imagi film had been made. Everything I have heard from that suggests it would have been a much better film.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 04-10-2016 at 13:01.
No new posts 04-10-2016 13:00 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
adrianag adrianag is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-07-2015

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hola James,

Well, I watched with English subtitles and I have to say that the story line is not credible at all. Especially when a non- existing girl in the original series, plays an important part in Ken's personal story.

Joe, my favorite, it's a shadow from our beloved character. I guess the only ones that were not "too" bad were Jinpei and Ryu (the Japanese actor it's truly him!)

On the other hand, costumes and special effects are not bad but too much of them makes it a bit boring. I would had preferred more story line.

Smile

No new posts 04-10-2016 14:53 adrianag is offline Send an Email to adrianag Search for Posts by adrianag Add adrianag to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Adrianag YIM Screenname: Adrianag MSN Screenname: Adrianag
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer

My husband watched it and he thought that the movie producers were trying too hard to make it more like an American blockbuster with all bang and no substance, when the source material, in his opinion, doesn't lend itself well to an Americanized blockbuster type movie. The original series did rely a lot more on story and characterization.

I have to admit that I can't bring myself to watch it, mainly because making Gatchaman live action kind of ruins it for me.

I also wish they would have made the Imagi film, too. I was looking forward to that.

No new posts 04-10-2016 17:35 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

I won't repeat what's been said before; everybody else has touched upon my opinion and a good number of the problems I had with it.

I wonder if the people who produced this were trying to do a reboot of the series -- if they were, they fell into the same traps that cause 99% of all reboots to fail.

Anyway, as I was watching, I quickly clicked into my "nit-picky" mode, especially when it came to some of the subtitling. Well, more specifically:

and

(I apologize for the quality of the pics -- for some strange reason, the only way I could get a screen shot was to pull out my camera and take a picture of the screen!)

So why are they using English subtitles for banners already written in English?!?!?!WHY??????

No new posts 04-10-2016 19:55 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I haven't seen it.

I did like the birdstyles, but wish they had kept the original color scheme for Jun and George/Joe.

But the reason I didn't watch it is I can't get over them changing Joe's nationality.

No new posts 04-10-2016 23:54 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

haven't seen it myself either, you've no idea how difficult it is getting a region 2 DVD sometimes! Gatchaman is virtually unheard of here in the UK.

From what I have seen though, the CGI effects look impressive, although I would have liked them to have stuck more to the original version.

No new posts 05-10-2016 00:01 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

Haven't seen it, and honestly, don't plan to! Tongue

No new posts 11-10-2016 21:53 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Haven't seen it. I might one day, just for the sake of completionism, but I'm not in a rush given everything I've heard. I did kind of like the bird styles in the pics!

No new posts 12-10-2016 19:55 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: