Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Need some help
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Need some help
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kitsu Kitsu is a Female
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-05-2016

spacer
Need some help Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

For about two months now, I've had this horrible art block. I haven't had any real ideas and, even if I have something close to an idea, I'm unable to draw it. I've also been unable to write the past few weeks and have written myself into corners that I can't get out of. This is really putting me in a bad funk that I need to get out of ASAP.

This is where the help part comes in... If anyone has any advice or ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or if you have any random things to say. I may find some inspiration in it.

I'm really pretty desperate... Smash

No new posts 01-06-2016 13:07 Kitsu is offline Search for Posts by Kitsu Add Kitsu to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Ah, this is something that happens to us all from time to time - I'm going through the same thing at the moment with my Bradbury's Jar story.

My advice is to forget about it, and find something else that needs your attention. I'm often surprised how my muse will suddenly come up with ideas when I'm in the middle of doing something mundane.

Another thing is to keep a notebook and pen/pencil close by so when inspiration does strike, you can make notes/do a quick sketch before you have time to forget.

No new posts 01-06-2016 13:44 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

KT's advice is good. Sometimes the best thing to do is do other things! Going for a walk is often recommended. Or going into nature.

I'm really enjoying playing with this site in class mode:

http://artists.pixelovely.com

The class mode basically shows you images for very short periods of time and then longer and longer, so you'll start with "gesture" drawings where you try to capture the essence of what you're seeing and then expand to more and more detail. I find it takes a lot of the "I dunno what to do" out of the equation, and sometimes it inspires me to want to try specific other things afterwards.

Another thing to do is to look for art/drawing/writing challenges. There's a number of challenge threads on this site, for example, where art or writing could be the result. And there's lots all over the Internet. The Bradbury's Jar threads here are all about giving you a word or phrase to use however you want (art or writing). Some people try to write long stories using the prompts for each scene and others like to write little one-off things. There's no 1 or right way to do it! And there's no such thing as being late. Smile

No new posts 01-06-2016 20:09 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Sometimes reading something that isn't related to what you're working on might help. Or watching something extremely stupid on TV will get the muses up and running. (You'd be shocked what I've come up with after watching a "Finding Bigfoot" marathon!)

No new posts 01-06-2016 21:00 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I currently have 6 books that I'm writing. I jump back and forth if I get stuck. I also have at least 20 or more fanfics I've been working on.

If jumping round to different fics doesn't work, I'll read something unrelated. Or watch some funny videos.

No new posts 02-06-2016 01:29 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Chris already said it- but I agree, the Bradbury's Jar threads could be very inspiring! Really- going through any threads around here could inspire you. Feel free to add to any old threads you are interested in!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 02-06-2016 02:35 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Kitsu Kitsu is a Female
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks, guys! These ideas are great! peace

And thanks, Chris, I'll check out that site, it sounds really interesting! I have a feeling that may be a good thing to bookmark for when I'm in a slump. Wink

I think being on here and talking to all of you has helped also. Yesterday my writing block lifted a bit, so it's at least something. And I'm going to check out the challenge threads. That may be just the thing to get me all the way out of my slump.

No new posts 02-06-2016 12:54 Kitsu is offline Search for Posts by Kitsu Add Kitsu to your Buddy List
mylari mylari is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-09-2014

spacer

Hi Kitsu,

There have been some great ideas tossed around so far. I've found there are two things that work best for me (for writing at least). First, since I play in 3 different fandoms, I switch to one of the others - sometimes those characters are feeling chattier and that gets things moving again. The other is to just put myself into the mindset of a specific character while I am doing my everyday things - like if I'm at work and updating a spreadsheet, I might think about how Ken feels having to do paperwork, or what kind of forms Joe might get asked/forced to fill out and the things he might write in them. Sometimes it just puts an image in my head that turns into a story. I have a fic in one of my other fandoms that started because I just had a picture of 2 of the characters glaring at each other in my head and I needed to figure out why. I started writing out a description of their face off and the rest just fell into place as I though about what one might have done to set the other off.

I'm in a drawing slump of sorts of my own right now, but it's mostly a lack of time and then a lack of energy/putting too much pressure on myself when I do have time.

Good luck getting the juices flowing again!

Find me on the web at Mylari's Anime Website

No new posts 02-06-2016 15:07 mylari is offline Send an Email to mylari Homepage of mylari Search for Posts by mylari Add mylari to your Buddy List
Kitsu Kitsu is a Female
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks, mylari, those are some great ideas! I really like the idea of thinking how my characters would feel if they were doing the tasks I'm doing at the time. That would bring some interesting scenarios to mind!
Sometimes I read back on what I already have in the comic I'm working on and it helps me get to a point where I can continue. I do that in my writing, too. But when it comes to just plain drawings... Well, I come up empty. But I have a feeling that, with all these great ideas, I should be drawing again in no time!

And just because it came up and I love sailboats... boat hahaha!

No new posts 03-06-2016 16:23 Kitsu is offline Search for Posts by Kitsu Add Kitsu to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

And thank you, Kitsu for posting this thread, because by taking my own, and some of the others, advice I've finally got over my own block! Smile

No new posts 03-06-2016 22:22 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Hooray, KT! woohoo

No new posts 03-06-2016 23:06 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Kitsu Kitsu is a Female
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That's awesome KT! Glad this helped you, too! Animeflower

No new posts 04-06-2016 11:00 Kitsu is offline Search for Posts by Kitsu Add Kitsu to your Buddy List
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer

I'm kind of lucky in that when I go through blocks, I have school to distract me (I'm going for my bachelor's degree in psychology). By the time the semester is over, I find that I want to write anything other than research papers. Smile

Lately, I've been taking pictures. I have a really good camera on my cell phone and I've been playing around with that. I would love to get a proper DSLR camera some day, but until then, I am using what I have.

Here's a picture of one of the flowers on my balcony.

https://goo.gl/photos/2j9nDW5rbsXAnFum8

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by msannomalley on 04-06-2016 at 16:58.
No new posts 04-06-2016 16:56 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Beautiful, msann!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 04-06-2016 17:40 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Lovely pic Msann. Smile

No new posts 04-06-2016 20:49 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Kitsu Kitsu is a Female
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Beautiful, Msann! What kind of flower is that?

No new posts 06-06-2016 12:34 Kitsu is offline Search for Posts by Kitsu Add Kitsu to your Buddy List
Kitsu Kitsu is a Female
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

spacer

My art block is still ongoing (I'm sorry to say) so if anyone has funny stories or anything you think may spark something, fire away. I'd really appreciate it.

No new posts 21-06-2016 00:25 Kitsu is offline Search for Posts by Kitsu Add Kitsu to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

How about some prompts?

• An Eagle and a Condor walk into a bar
  • What's that smell?
  • Swans just wanna have fun
  • Do owls molt?
  • Swallows play chicken

No new posts 21-06-2016 00:44 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Kitsu Kitsu is a Female
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oooh, those are good prompts! Thanks Chris! Smile

No new posts 23-06-2016 16:41 Kitsu is offline Search for Posts by Kitsu Add Kitsu to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I get a lot of weird ideas from shows like "Untold stories of the ER" and "Sex sent me to the ER" too. Smile

No new posts 23-06-2016 19:53 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: