Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Still Here and a Little Help
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Still Here and a Little Help
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer
Still Here and a Little Help Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hey, all. I'm still here. It's just that the semester started and I'm going full-time and school is keeping me busy.

I have College Algebra, Psych 101, Speech 101 and English 201. We're assigned to write an analysis essay using Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs or other criteria, to help with the analysis. And guess who I'm writing mine about?

Except that when I applied Maslow to Joe, I didn't have much. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask for help, but I was wondering if I could get some input from you on my essay and your thoughts on Joe and what motivates him.

I can post that in a seperate thread.

Thanks, bunches!

No new posts 03-02-2015 13:41 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Don't know how much this helps, but Katsesama did a great psychological write up for Joe several years ago...

Katsesama's write up

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 03-02-2015 at 14:03.
No new posts 03-02-2015 14:02 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I don't know if this will help, but I thought about how you might go at this. (I needed to quickly look up Maslow's Hierarchy, since it haven't done anything with that since I went for my BS in Education...and that was 25 years *groan!* ago!)

Anyway, it seems to me that, if you focus on the moment Joe's parents were killed, you'll have your essay. (It seems a bit obvious to me now, but when I read your post for the first time, my first reaction was, "What motivates Joe? Revenge, duh!" But that's not much to work with.) When asked the question "Was this group of needs harmed when his parents died?", I found about 4/5 of the hierarchy was directly affected. (Could you really ever feel safe in a world where your parents were killed in front of you and you were caught in a bomb blast? Would you ever allow yourself to be loved or have a sense of belonging if you're convinced that anybody associated with you would die a violent death?)

If nothing else, I hope this gives you something to start with.

No new posts 03-02-2015 14:53 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I did get the safety part, because yes, I did see that his safety need was not met and that's what motivates him to seek revenge and fight and be the way he is. I'll have to explore more of that. As I was writing my rough draft, the essay kept veering into archetypes, which led me down another research rabbit hole and more fascinating things. I will have to ask about word limits when I go to class this afternoon. I know there is a minimum, but I think my professor said five pages.

I knew of the "write-up" that Katsesama did, but I don't think I've read it. I will definitely take a look at it.

No new posts 03-02-2015 17:27 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

I don't have much to add to this. Good stuff has already been said. Smile There's also the issue that Joe had to give up part of his identity to live in hiding and that he was taken to a country where presumably he didn't know the language. That's a whole lot of starting over on top of losing his parents and almost being murdered, himself.

No new posts 03-02-2015 18:52 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Can't add anything -- just posted to let you know that I've learnt quite a lot from reading this thread -- thank you!

No new posts 03-02-2015 19:28 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I received feedback from my professor, who thinks I should stick with archetypes instead of Maslow (although I can mention Maslow). So now I'm trying to make sense of Jung.

This is a paper for English Comp, by the way, so I don't have to write a dry psychoanalysis.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Smile

No new posts 04-02-2015 19:04 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Good luck. Smile

No new posts 04-02-2015 21:05 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I don't have much to add (I never really took any psychology classes) but I would love to see the paper when you are finished!

No new posts 05-02-2015 13:45 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
E.D. Darling E.D. Darling is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2014

spacer

Me too! Psych is a hobby of mine...

No new posts 15-02-2015 17:26 E.D. Darling is offline Send an Email to E.D. Darling Search for Posts by E.D. Darling Add E.D. Darling to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: