Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »The Debating Room » Where did this come from?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Where did this come from?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
E.D. Darling E.D. Darling is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2014

spacer
Where did this come from? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Let me say first that I loooove Fanfiction, especially Gatch fanfic. What I want to know is, where did the idea that Nambu/Anderson raised the team come from? It this fan fiction that's become accepted culture or is there some basis for this assumption?

I haven't seen all the versions, only Gatchaman and BOTP.

No new posts 20-04-2014 02:22 E.D. Darling is offline Send an Email to E.D. Darling Search for Posts by E.D. Darling Add E.D. Darling to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'm not totally sure ED, but I think it comes from this: Joe's parents died when he was 8 years old, and Nambu was the one who found him on the beach after he was injured by the rose bomb. It's implied that he took care of Joe afterward. (At least that's what I took from it).

Ken's mom died after an illness, when he was 11 years old. I don't recall specifically what happened to him afterward.

We don't know how Jun, Jinpei or Ryu wind up on the team either. (But I think it's said that Jun/Jinpei were found in the orphanage together. Or was that not in the show....?? Hmmmm. Now I don't remember! LOL.)

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info! Smile

EDIT: Oh and if you love Gatch fanfic--head over to the Gatchfanfic site!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Redbird on 20-04-2014 at 15:01.
No new posts 20-04-2014 14:55 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

It's pretty much canon that Nambu raised Ken and Joe - James, do you know any different? FYI - James is our resident expert.

In BotP - in 'The Sky Is Falling' episodes, Anderson mentions Cronus left Mark with him when Mark was 4. That's the only thing ever said about any of the G-Force team.

The rest is speculation on our part. It seems logical since both Nambu and Anderson are in charge of the programs, they would have had extensive experience with the kids as they grew up.

No new posts 20-04-2014 19:02 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
In BotP - in 'The Sky Is Falling' episodes, Anderson mentions Cronus left Mark with him when Mark was 4. That's the only thing ever said about any of the G-Force team.

In one of the first BotP episodes (I'll have to look up which one), Zark said that the team were orphans who had been training since they were 5. Given these two facts, it's easy to see why people would assume Anderson raised them all, since it would seem more practical to keep them together full time. But this had never been said out-right.

No new posts 20-04-2014 19:16 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks! I'm re-watching the earlier episodes to see if there's anything I missed about this, am thinking about a fic that uses a different angle, so I thought I'd ask! Thanks for the info! ( can't wait to hear what James has to say Smile

No new posts 20-04-2014 20:34 E.D. Darling is offline Send an Email to E.D. Darling Search for Posts by E.D. Darling Add E.D. Darling to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhite
quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock

In one of the first BotP episodes (I'll have to look up which one), Zark said that the team were orphans who had been training since they were 5. Given these two facts, it's easy to see why people would assume Anderson raised them all, since it would seem more practical to keep them together full time. But this had never been said out-right.

Yes, you are right. I stand corrected. Zark doesn't say 5, but 'almost since birth', I believe.

No new posts 20-04-2014 23:05 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

The assumption that Nambu raised the team is a mix of canon with speculation to fill in the gaps. There really isn't a whole lot to go on, but here's the facts, and a few of the generally accepted assumptions.

With Ken, he was placed in Nambu's care when his father disappeared when Ken was 4 years old (Episode #52). Ken's mother was ill, and passed away when Ken was 11 years old (Episode #92).

The assumption is that Nambu was Ken's primary caregiver between age 4 and 11 because of his mother's illness, and that Nambu took full responsibility for Ken once his mother died, but this is never stated in the series.

With Joe, his parents were killed by a Devil Star on BC Island when Joe was 8 years old (Episode #78, with Joe's age at that time revealed in episode #81). Joe was badly injured in this attack, and the wounded boy was found by Dr. Nambu, who happened to be on the island at that time. To keep him safe, Nambu falsified documents that Joe had died in a hospital, and secretly got him off BC Island (Episode #81).

The assumption is that Nambu then raised Joe from age 8 onward, but this is never stated in the series.

With Jun, she grew up in an orphanage, with no real memory of her parents (Episode #92). When Jun was 8 years old, she went to Mt. Jupiter, where she found Jinpei (Episode #95). When she was 13 years old, she had a boyfriend named Koji Yabane (Episode #56).

The assumption is that the orphanage she was in was the Shirayuki Orphanage, but this is never stated in the series.

How and when she met Dr. Nambu is never revealed in the series.

With Jinpei, when he was approximately 3 years old, he was found by Jun, wandering alone near Mt. Jupiter. His real name and birthplace are unknown, but it was Jun who named him Jinpei. Because of where he was found, it is assumed that he was born near Mt. Jupiter. It is possible that he is the missing son of the assassinated leader of the Jupiter Ninjas, but this is uncertain (Episode #95). Early on, Jinpei believed that he was 18th generation Iga ninja (Episode #1). Jinpei the grew up in the Shirayuki Orphanage (Episode #29).

The assumption is that Jun was in the Shirayuki Orphanage along with Jinpei, due in no small part to the brother-sister relationship between the two, but this is never stated in the series.

How and when he met Dr. Nambu is never revealed in the series.

With Ryu, he is the only member with living immediate family, including his younger brother, Seiji (Episode #26), his father (Episode #26), and his mother (Episode #57).

How and when he met Dr. Nambu is never revealed in the series.

As for other sources and how they influenced fandom, there was a Gatchaman book published in 1978, the Fantastic TV Collection Vol. 3. This book included a chapter that was a roundtable discussion with the members of the Science Ninja Team, where the characters essentially talked about themselves and their lives.

In it, Jun and Jinpei said that Dr. Nambu saw Jinpei at the orphanage, and recognized his natural ninja-like skills. Because of this, he took Jinpei in, and Jun came along as part of a package deal. Jun initially spent time as something of a housekeeper, but soon joined in with Ken, Joe, and Jinpei in their training. As her skills became apparent, she became part of the team.

The discussion also explained that Nambu had come to Ryu's hometown to do ocean research. He rented a boat from Ryu's family, and Ryu took him out to sea. A storm came up suddenly, swamping the boat, and Ryu saved Nambu from drowning. In thanks, Nambu invited Ryu to come back to Utoland with him. Once there, Ryu quickly fell in with the others, who accepted him freely despite his lack of ninja-like abilities.

This material was strictly non-canon, of course, amounting to little more than professionally written fanon. Nice ideas with nothing in the show itself to support them.

These notions would likely have been overlooked by most American fans if it weren't for a rough translation of this book that made the rounds in fan circles in the early 1980s. At that point in time, most American fans had only seen Battle of the Planets, and a few had been fortunate enough to have seen the Gatchaman movie. Back then, there was precious little solid information about Gatchaman available in English, and in our ignorance, we had no way to determine what was accurate to what was presented in the series and what wasn't. So the translation of that book was treated like gold, and every detail within those translations was looked upon as gospel.

Those translations, and those details, were shared among everyone for quite some time, with all of us blithely accepting them as being factual, and helped to form the belief among American fans that Nambu raised most of the Science Ninja Team from childhood. It took years of looking into the series, putting forth an effort to confirm every detail, and a willingness to reject notions you once believed to be true, to finally reach a point where we could tell Gatchaman fact from fantasy. Regardless, every once in a while I still see one or two examples of misinformation from that book turn up.

As for G-Force in BotP, it is not stated that Anderson raised them, only that they have been trained almost since birth in how to use their powers (Attack of the Space Terrapin, Decoys of Doom) and to keep peace in the galaxy (Panic of the Peacock). Who chose them and what this training involved is not revealed. It is also never stated in the series when and how any of the members of G-Force met Anderson. That Anderson raised them is likely a holdover of the belief that Nambu raised the Science Ninja Team. It was quite common in the earliest days of this fandom to use information from Gatchaman as a form of spackle to fill in gaps in Battle of the Planets.

Mark was entrusted to Anderson by his father when he was 4 years old (The Sky Is Falling! Part I), and was close enough to Dr. Harlan to think of him as a father figure (The Space Serpent).

The assumption is that Mark was raised by Anderson since he was 4.

Almost nothing of Jason's past is revealed. At some point in the past, he raced in the Australian 5000 Mile Kangaroo Derby (Race Against Disaster).

Princess lost her mother when she was very young (Peril in the Pyramids). Spent some time studying meditation in the Himalaya (Charioteers of Changu).

Keyop was born in a laboratory, grown from a single embryonic cell (Attack of the Space Terrapin, Peril in the Pyramids). As such, he has no real mother and father (Peril in the Pyramids).

Tiny comes from a small fishing village. He still has friends there, including Captain Jack and his son, Tommy (The Bat-Ray Bombers, Peril of the Preying Mantis). At some point in his life, Tiny spent time in the South Seas (Big Robot Gold Grab).

I hope this helps to clarify things, at least a little.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 23-04-2014 at 00:12.
No new posts 21-04-2014 01:24 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

Thank you for setting us straight James! (I'm going to need to copy this so I have the info for the future!) Smile

No new posts 21-04-2014 01:29 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thank you James! it really is hard to tell what's cannon and what's been absorbed as cannon from other sources! You rule!

No new posts 21-04-2014 01:35 E.D. Darling is offline Send an Email to E.D. Darling Search for Posts by E.D. Darling Add E.D. Darling to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

James, have I told you I love you? Hehe. (puts hands over husband's ears while I say that)

I don't remember Ryu's mother appearing! Now I need to rewatch episode 57, probably when I get home from visiting family in FL!

I think fanon-wise, or at least personal canon-wise, I tend to think Nambu raised them because he seems to be working with so much less infrastructure than you see (or at least is implied) in BOTP. The team seems kinda arms-length with the ISO in Gatch while they seem far more part of Galaxy Security and all that that entails in BOTP, but that could just be my perspective. It's easier to picture them being raised in an institution in BOTP.

No new posts 21-04-2014 19:05 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

James, that explains everything. Thanks so much!

No new posts 22-04-2014 22:40 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Bowdown James!

No new posts 23-04-2014 15:10 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer

Wow, what a great thread! I wish I knew how to earmark this for future reference. Can we give it a gold star of importance or something?

No new posts 19-12-2014 02:44 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Kritter Kritter is a Female
Forum Legend

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-05-2014

spacer

You could add it to your favorites.

No new posts 19-12-2014 06:25 Kritter is offline Send an Email to Kritter Search for Posts by Kritter Add Kritter to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer

I can do that?

No new posts 19-12-2014 11:40 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

I actually copy really useful posts (with attribution) into a research file, but then I'm a geek. Smile

No new posts 19-12-2014 18:47 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: