Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman II » A Gatchaman II Mystery Solved!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page A Gatchaman II Mystery Solved!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
A Gatchaman II Mystery Solved! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

As some of you are aware, on today's date in 1979, Gatchaman II ran a rerun of Gatchaman II #28 instead of a the usual new episode of the series. Perhaps you wondered why they ran a rerun that week, the only time in the run of all three Gatchaman series that a rerun was aired instead of a new episode. Well, for many years now, I've wondered that same thing. Was the new episode not ready to air for some reason? Was there some major breaking news story that made Fuji TV decide to not to use a new episode? What was the reason?

Last month, I finally got an answer. You see, I finally managed to track down a copy of the Japanese edition of TV Guide for that week. Looking at the listing for Gatchaman on Sunday night, there it was listed, plain as day; "6:00 Gatchaman II 'Love Stolen by a Feather Shuriken' (Repeat)." So the rerun was something that was planned by Fuji TV, not something that came about at the last minute. Well, if it was planned, there had to be a reason. A look at the rest of the schedule for what else was airing at that time quickly revealed that reason; baseball. Specifically the Quarter Finals of the 61st National High School Baseball Championship, an all day event that aired on TV Asahi from 8am to 7pm, featuring four games between rival teams at Koshien Stadium. Fuji TV must have realized that they couldn't compete against the baseball games, so they opted instead to fill their network programming day with reruns, movies, and a golf tournament. Tatsunoko probably chose that particular episode because is was a standalone episode that didn't interfere with the ongoing story being told in the series at that point, falling between episode #'s 46 and 47.

That rerun is also why you will sometimes see claims that Gatchaman II ran for 53 episodes, when in fact it only ran 52 episodes. It just did so over 53 weeks, thanks to the lone rerun in the broadcast history of Gatchaman. And now you know why it happened!

James

No new posts 19-08-2013 20:34 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

So they didn't want to waste an episode when everyone would be watching baseball that night.

Shows they're as conscious of ratings are we are here in the US.

Thanks, James!

No new posts 19-08-2013 20:39 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Good detective work, James! spy <- (that's supposed to be a detective, not a flasher! LOL)

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 19-08-2013 21:50 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

LOL, they should have rerun the original Gatchaman baseball episode instead!

No new posts 20-08-2013 02:50 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

That's very interesting, James! Thanks and so very well done in having come to this true and valid conclusion! So, Gatchaman was as important as baseball so much so that a new episode couldn't be missed when forgoing such a special live sporting event couldn't be probable! Smile

No new posts 20-08-2013 07:49 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: