Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »The Book Nook » Is Anyone Reading The Casual Vacancy?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Is Anyone Reading The Casual Vacancy?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Is Anyone Reading The Casual Vacancy? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I just started this (I'm about 100 pages in) but so far... blah. None f the characters are particularly likable, and I don't feel like I have anyone to 'root' for, IYKWIM. It's just plodding and dull. Additionally, it seems to be overly crude... as if Rowling is trying to be shocking with her choice of language, to separate herself from the HP series. I think she could have gotten her point across in a much smoother manner. The crudity is very jarring (at least to me) and is a turnoff. You guys know me: I don't mind discussions of sexual relationships or teen boys thinking about sex, but the way she describes things just sets my teeth on edge.

I'm wondering if it gets better? I'm thinking of giving it up already (and generally I don't do that; I like to see books through to the end).

No new posts 06-10-2012 16:32 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I've reached page 200, and still I'm not thrilled with it. Maybe I had too high hopes. I detect a hint of mystery (Tessa's past, basically) so I guess I'l stick with it.

No new posts 06-10-2012 16:52 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I've been waiting. I usually wait for paperbacks unless I'm really into a series or something.

I know the reviews I've seen have been more miss than hit.

No new posts 06-10-2012 17:14 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

I prefer to wait until I can borrow them from the library before I'll purchase a book, and then, like Ame, wait for paperback, although it sounds like she's falling back on her success with the Harry Potter series to sell this.

I will try to read it first before making any judgement on the actual story.

No new posts 06-10-2012 17:23 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I don't know... I'm getting the impression that it's not that she's 'falling back on her success' more than that she is just trying too hard to do something that's completely different... and in trying to be completely different, she's caused it to be devoid of anything interesting.

At least, that's my impression so far. I'll try another hundred pages or so.

No new posts 06-10-2012 18:20 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Reboekah
Master Boardie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

spacer

I was not overly impressed by the last three of the HP series. Too much exposition by far. Could have cut 2/3rds of the text in my estimation and still had a good to great story.

No interest in getting her latest...

No new posts 06-10-2012 18:26 Reboekah is offline Send an Email to Reboekah Homepage of Reboekah Search for Posts by Reboekah Add Reboekah to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Reboekah
I was not overly impressed by the last three of the HP series. Too much exposition by far. Could have cut 2/3rds of the text in my estimation and still had a good to great story.

My sentiments exactly. It is as though because of her success, she no longer needed an editor...and from what I read of her latest effort, she stated essentially the same thing...she self edits her work, and frankly, it shows.

quote:
No interest in getting her latest...
Me neither.

No new posts 06-10-2012 20:17 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

I'm sort of curious about it but not enough to buy it, though I wouldn't rule out reading it if I should happen to come across a copy right before a long plane trip or something like that, but nearly everything I like to read has a scifi, fantasy or historical setting/premise so her latest isn't so much my thing.

No new posts 11-10-2012 01:21 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

So I've given it another 100 pages. It's picked up a bit, and I'll probably finish it now, but it's still not overly thrilling. I certainly can't see myself reading it again in the future, or really recommending it.

Oh, and I figured out why it's an 'adult' book... you wouldn't want kids reading it because the teens in this book loathe their parents and do horrible things to them. Sigh...

ETA LB, if you want to read the book on a long airplane flight, I can bring my copy to Comic Con next year and let you borrow it for the return journey. And no rush getting it back to me... Wink

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 11-10-2012 at 13:33.
No new posts 11-10-2012 13:25 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

WHSmith are giving it away with a £30 purchase.

I guess its not good

No new posts 11-10-2012 18:45 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun

ETA LB, if you want to read the book on a long airplane flight, I can bring my copy to Comic Con next year and let you borrow it for the return journey. And no rush getting it back to me... Wink

Hey, there's a plan! And I'm usually actually awake on the return flight.

No new posts 12-10-2012 04:35 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Ok guys, I finished it! Actually, for me, it got better and better, and had a really shocking ending. Thinking back, I think I liked it a lot more than I thought originally. It's human, hard-hitting, not something I'd had read if it wasn't JKR, but, for what it is, I think it's a good book.

No new posts 27-10-2012 20:59 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: