Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman » Happy 40th Anniversary Gatchaman!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Happy 40th Anniversary Gatchaman!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Happy 40th Anniversary Gatchaman! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

Today, October 1st, 2012, marks the 40th anniversary of the premiere of Gatchaman on Japanese TV. To celebrate the occasion, I've put together a selection of pictures that I thought you might enjoy seeing.

We start off with a smattering of early design drawings of Ken, Joe, and Jun. The Ken and Joe ones, in particular, show the development process they went through before reaching the final designs.

This is followed by two pages from the September, 1972 issue of Shogakukan Book. This spread is from a comic adaptation of the first Gatchaman story, "Gatchaman Versus Turtle King." Shokagukan actually did this same story many times over in different forms for the September issues of their various kids magazines published that month. Since each magazine was aimed at a different age group, the story had to be adapted in a manner appropriate for those different ages. Since these magazines were released in early September, several weeks before the series premiered on TV, these comics served as the introduction of Gatchaman to many Japanese children.

Since it was that same Turtle King story that launched the adventures of the Science Ninja Team, we'll take a closer look at some behind the scenes work on that particular episode.

First up are a pair of early publicity images for the series, both of which utilize an early design for Turtle King.

Then we get into a selection of model sheets from the episode. The first are designs for the Turtle King Commander. These designs were originally created to be Berg Katse's uniform, and his name appears on the model sheets, crossed out and with "Commander" written in next to it. In the Shogakukan comics mentioned above, Berg Katse is shown wearing this uniform, showing that the change was done too late to be reflected in those comics.

After those, we have several designs for Turtle King itself, as well as a sketch showing the scale between it and the God Phoenix and a color image drawing of Turtle King attacking.

We end the design portion of the images with a concept sketch for the Tornado Fighter and a color image drawing of the opening scene from the series, showing the lighthouse in the storm.

Then, to wrap things up, we have a series of color storyboards for the first episode. These storyboards were created by Art Director Mitsuki Nakamura to help establish the type of color palette the series would use.

So, congratulations to Gatchaman on reaching this milestone! I hope you'll enjoy these images, and will spend a few moments thinking about the series that has meant so much to so many of us.

James

No new posts 01-10-2012 17:58 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thank you so much! It's fascinating to see some of the development process, plus it always sparks a host of "What if --?" thoughts. (Put away the pokey sticks, folks! These thoughts usually have to simmer in my brain for a while before I can produce anything!)

No new posts 01-10-2012 18:19 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Wow, they are fantastic... but does anyone else think the Turtle King Commander has a vague resemblance to Gel Sadra?

No new posts 01-10-2012 19:04 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Thank you for the wealth of information and the images James

And welcome back!!

No new posts 01-10-2012 21:46 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

That is a wonderful retrospective of the episode that started it all (as well as character development overall).

Thank you for sharing your images with us, James, and I will echo CD in saying that it is great to see you here again.

No new posts 01-10-2012 22:30 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

I'll add my thanks as well! I love hearing little bits of the show's history, and learning more about how the industry works at the same time. Smile I found myself looking at the various designs for the Eagle's uniform and my brain kept wanting to put the final design over them. So hard to get that iconic image out of my head! I wonder if part of it's the uniform's simplicity compared to some of the other designs. (Same goes for the rest of the team.)

No new posts 01-10-2012 23:29 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer

Thank you for sharing these wonderful bits of history...I love the vintage feel to them, all the handwork that went into putting a show together.

Truly amazing.

No new posts 01-10-2012 23:35 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

James...it is so great to see you here! I agree, those pictures are fascinating! I am so glad they got rid of the stripes on those boots...he looked more like "zebraman" or "tigerman"!Laugh2

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 02-10-2012 at 00:48.
No new posts 02-10-2012 00:35 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
RIgirl RIgirl is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-04-2010

spacer

Thanks for sharing Tatsunokofan! It is a fascinating process and to get a glimpse the behind-the-scenes is intriguing.

That very first picture of Ken ... wow ... he looks so young! (or maybe it's because now I'm so old!)

No new posts 02-10-2012 01:23 RIgirl is offline Send an Email to RIgirl Search for Posts by RIgirl Add RIgirl to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Whilst so happily welcoming you back, James, I too can't thank you enough for this thought of yours, and for sharing with us such a wealth of information and priceless images!

It's awesome to come to know about what was happening behind the scenes, and about the ongoing development of the plot and characters! Such knowledge makes us appreciate more all the hard work involved to produce this favourite show of ours!

40 years, huh? So, I'm aging that much! Wonder if Ken has aged well during all this time, starting from that first image of his ... maybe the George Clooney type! As RIgirl is so rightly saying, he surely looks so very young!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by gatchamarie on 02-10-2012 at 08:25.
No new posts 02-10-2012 08:24 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Thanks James, and welcome back!

I'll agree with everyone else on the stripes in the Birdstyle, that would have been just too busy.

Ken's basic look doesn't appear to have changed too much from some of the early drawings of the series, as far as his face and hair go.

I think this is the first time I heard about those books. What a neat way to promote the series.

Thanks for sharing!

No new posts 02-10-2012 15:18 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Thank you Tatsunokofan! Bowdown
What an excellent tribute to Gatchaman!

No new posts 02-10-2012 20:47 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

But that means Ill be 40 this year too...

No new posts 02-10-2012 21:06 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: