Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » Harry Potter vs. Star Wars
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Harry Potter vs. Star Wars
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Harry Potter vs. Star Wars Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

LOL!

http://www.randompics.net/?p=13080

No new posts 15-07-2011 22:14 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

This is great TJ. I had never noticed how many similarities there are (were) between the two.

No new posts 15-07-2011 22:48 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Dragonsbain Dragonsbain is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-04-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I hate to admitt this but, I haven't seen a one of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books. Nothing against the franchise. I just have never gotten around to it.

No new posts 15-07-2011 23:08 Dragonsbain is offline Send an Email to Dragonsbain Search for Posts by Dragonsbain Add Dragonsbain to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

It's really a very interesting story, I'd read the books before watching the movies, though. There are many side stories and details in the books that just don't fit into the movies.

Thanks for sharing that pic, TJ. Though I don't think Ron belongs in the same class as Han Solo.

No new posts 16-07-2011 02:50 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Of course, it's just a joke. It's not like Professor Flitwick is really like Yoda either. Roll

Still, I was amused enough to post it here. Wink

No new posts 16-07-2011 03:20 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks Amethyst. When I can get some time I'll get the first book.

No new posts 16-07-2011 05:21 Dragonsbain is offline Send an Email to Dragonsbain Search for Posts by Dragonsbain Add Dragonsbain to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

I agree with Amethyst - definitely read the books before you see the movies.

That said - for a writer the books are an interesting study. IMHO, the last 3 books contain some examples of very poor writing and "padding". I get the impression that with those last 3, perhaps JKR didn't take her editor's advice enough.

The movies do a very good job - one of the few book to movie adaptations where it is actually very recognisable as being true to the book - in some instances better, because the movie has stripped away some of the extraneous bits ad left the pure story.

And that said - it premiered on 12 July here (OK - the first showing was 12.01am on 13 July - which I was at) and I was i the first showing and it was well worth the midnight start and serious sleep depirvation the next day!

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 16-07-2011 07:23 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Madilayn
That said - for a writer the books are an interesting study. IMHO, the last 3 books contain some examples of very poor writing and "padding". I get the impression that with those last 3, perhaps JKR didn't take her editor's advice enough.

Or too much ... closing stories, answering questions that didn't need to be answered. Although some of it was setup the last book. OotP and HP were worse on this then DH. But it also reflects the formula in which she was trying to write the books, although with GoF she started to adapt that some, and it shows the more complex nature of the plots, the growth and development of the trio, and herself as a writer.

For a freshman writer, it showed tremendous perseverance and dedication to the story to get the whole thing not only published, and turned into a film, but also to become one of the most popular modern stories among all ages. I'm curious if she will be able to maintain that with anything else she does.

No new posts 16-07-2011 14:24 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

I had to try this, though some things don't really fit so well... Laugh2

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 16-07-2011 at 15:56.
No new posts 16-07-2011 15:54 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

spacer

LOL Lborgia!!!

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 17-07-2011 00:47 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Way to go LB. I think you hit it right on. Snoopy Dance

No new posts 17-07-2011 02:21 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Very good LB. Starwars

No new posts 17-07-2011 05:05 Dragonsbain is offline Send an Email to Dragonsbain Search for Posts by Dragonsbain Add Dragonsbain to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

I find myself thinking that there's probably still more book or movie series that could fit this template... It seems like there are a lot of young, orphaned heroes with a special ability, a special destiny and a wise, old mentor who dies, after all.

No new posts 18-07-2011 02:57 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

spacer

You know, LB, that seems to trigger some memory somehow......

No new posts 18-07-2011 07:32 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It's a variation of the Classic Heroe's Quest.

No new posts 18-07-2011 16:42 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

Every time I try to post here, my AT&T connect disconnects, so hopefully, third try will be the charm.

I love the original Star Wars trilogy and have read 45 or so of the Star Wars books. I love the series and its what got me into science fiction. I'd love to see some version on screen of the Solo children and they were growing up.

My son has read all the HP books and liked them. I haven't read the. We've seen the first four movies, but then my son lost interest. I'd love to see the rest of them.

No new posts 19-07-2011 01:01 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Becky, you have to read the books! There is so much of the story left out of the books (particularly 4, 5, and 6). Some important, some just adding depth to supporting characters.

IMHO (though, I'm sure Maddy will disagree), Sirius Black is far more likeable in the movies than in the books. I can't stand him. But then, I am biased. Even though Snape is not a nice person, I've loved him from the beginning.

Just got back from watching the last movie. It is well worth seeing in theaters. They did a much better job with both parts of Deathly Hallows then they did with many of the movies.

No new posts 19-07-2011 02:00 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm all for reading the books. I've never seen a book that was made into a movie where the movie was better. It's just the way it is. That said, I think the Harry Potter movies come as close as I've seen in duplicating the storyline from the book, although obviously a lot is still missing.

LB< I love your additions! They rock! Bowdown

No new posts 26-07-2011 00:58 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

Robots: Star Wars and G-Force comparison
C3P0, 7-Zarl-7
= annoying, self-rightous, butt-in with useless information, want to blow them up, numbers in their name

The rest still works, Heroes, teacher, dead parents, foe, capes/robes, special powers, mythical (phoenix) aspect, special weapons (Joe's charm ha ha)

are we looking at a standard formula for most action movies?

No new posts 29-07-2011 08:26 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Good point, LW! It could certainly work for G-Force! Hmmm... what about the 'token'...?

No new posts 29-07-2011 14:35 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: