Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Comics & Manga » Video Review of Thundercats/BOTP comic
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Video Review of Thundercats/BOTP comic
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Video Review of Thundercats/BOTP comic Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I have vague memories of the "Thundercats" cartoon from the 80s, and am dimly aware that Top Cow did some BOTP crossover comics with other series.

This guy decided to review a Thundercats/BOTP crossover comic, but apparently not the Top Cow one, but rather one done by the company that published the Thundercats comics, Wildstorm.

If you can handle the guy's somewhat... annoying voice and manner, it's sort of an interesting review in a "WTF?" kind of way. He doesn't actually start reviewing until about 3.52 though. That this guy's reviews are titled "Anime Abomination" provides a clue as to his opinion of the comic. I'm rather inclined to agree. Laugh1

http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/36977267

I must say, this image sort of freaked me out -some "cross-overs" should never be! Figures, though, that Jason would get the girl. ;-)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 06-04-2011 at 16:06.
No new posts 06-04-2011 16:06 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

LOL... change a few colors on that image, and it could be Jason kissing a random blonde... Wink

ETA... I suck at Photoshop... but to me, it looks like he's kissing LB!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 06-04-2011 at 17:28.
No new posts 06-04-2011 17:15 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

That's great!

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun

ETA... I suck at Photoshop... but to me, it looks like he's kissing LB!

Or kissing you!

In either case, an improvement over a cat/woman from a cartoon that I only remember (no doubt, with snarky teenaged bias) as being very silly! Laugh2

No new posts 06-04-2011 17:46 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Wow, good find LB, but unfortunately I can not watch much of it. That "accent" and slurring is terrible, it is too irritating and gets on my nerves.

No new posts 06-04-2011 21:46 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes, irritating. I turned the volume down to the minimum necessary to just make out his words.

I've actually read and enjoyed fics where Gatch or BOTP is "crossed over" with something else, even when the "something else" is something I know little or nothing about. As well as that classic, the Gatch/BOTP crossover fic. Vague ideas for crossovers have occurred to me now and then but I currently doubt I'll ever write one, for lack of a viable story idea and the necessity of too much re-reading or re-watching to refresh my memory about the other half. Or it would be a ridiculously incompatible premise -ie. Gatchaman/Lord of the Rings.

No new posts 06-04-2011 23:00 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

You could crossover with a story you have read, or been listening to. Or even send them back in time to an era in history you know about - I know you are a history buff. animewink

No new posts 06-04-2011 23:13 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Laugh1 Time travel has occurred to me too. Actually, I'd probably have more fun with that, and I once did have sort of an idea -I'll have to give that one some more thought...

Anything would be better than this!

No new posts 06-04-2011 23:37 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

ROFL 2 !!!!!

That would certainly be an interesting fic... Wink

No new posts 07-04-2011 02:50 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

Iborgia88...BIG thanks.

I forgot that I had those comics in my collection, so I went through the comic as I watched the link, I found the second one he was talking about the One Shot cCossover (art work is much better) and then found one with Princess/Witchblade (that ones interesting)

Anyway I'm off to read some comics
Thanks for the link

"Anderson that's me" snigger... that's stuck in my head now!

No new posts 07-04-2011 12:49 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I couldn't stand his voice either. I turned the volume off at about 4 and hald minutes. It seemed very disjointed. Please tell me the comic wasn't really like that...

I've got the Top Cow one and it wasn't that bad.

No new posts 08-04-2011 01:05 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Well, I think I'm going to pass on the video review. Though I would probably read the comic even if I'm not to thrilled about the quasi-bestiality potential in it (takes a bit more than that to squick me).

LB, I do agree with you on the cross-overs though. Some of the best cross-overs that I've read have been in this fandom. It would be interesting to explore why they work here, but not necessarily in other fandoms. Is it the fans? The talent of the writers in this fandom? The plausibility that the universes in this fandom can easily match with other universes?

No new posts 08-04-2011 02:25 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amethyst
Some of the best cross-overs that I've read have been in this fandom. It would be interesting to explore why they work here, but not necessarily in other fandoms. Is it the fans? The talent of the writers in this fandom? The plausibility that the universes in this fandom can easily match with other universes?

Interesting food for thought... I honestly do think that the Gatch/BOTP fandom has a higher caliber of writers and fans than many other fandoms out there (though, yes, I'm very biased here!) in part because we're *cough* a tad more... mature with all the real life experience that entails but also because, for many of us, we can still tap into the imagination and excitement that BOTP instilled in us when we were quite young.

I also do think that Gatch and BOTP might be more "easily matched" with a greater variety of other fandoms.

Because of the dual civilian/super hero lives the characters lead in both versions, I think it's possible to focus on the more "realistic" aspects of day-to-day life for the Gatch/BOTP characters -after all, Utoland and its BOTP equivalent look pretty much like any city you might see in our own lives and outside of missions, the characters are doing ordinary things- and blend them quite well with a fandom that's based very much in our time and reality.

But on the other hand, I think you can also focus on the more "sci fi" aspects too -bizarre mechas/weapons/secret bases, wacky science (and in the case of BOTP) space travel, other planets, alien races etc. and blend Gatch and BOTP quite successfully with almost any fandom that has some sort of sci fi premise.

What I think might be the hardest fit would be trying to crossover Gatch or BOTP with a fandom based in fantasy/magic. I've already joked about the implausibility of BOTP/LOTR, but I would have an equally hard time trying to imagine a "The Science Ninja Team goes to Hogwarts!" crossover!

Unless, I'm just being too unimaginative here.

Laugh2

No new posts 08-04-2011 05:40 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Interesting find, LB, and thanks for sharing! I might be biased, but since I've never been such an enthusiast of "Thundercats" I just cannot see a viable crossover of these with Gatch/BotP, especially after seeing the pic you've attached! At least, TJ managed to make it look more decent!!

And I totally agree with what you're saying regarding Gatchaman/BotP being rather incompatible with other fantasy/magical universes! Honestly, I wouldn't like to see the crossing of such a border, IYKWIM! It wouldn't remain Gatch/BotP for me, even if we're actually talking about cross-overs! Extra-terrestrial issues, of course, and maybe even some slight involvement of myth, as is that around the figure of the Phoenix, but not fantasy magic!

No new posts 08-04-2011 10:24 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
Interesting food for thought... I honestly do think that the Gatch/BOTP fandom has a higher caliber of writers and fans than many other fandoms out there (though, yes, I'm very biased here!) in part because we're *cough* a tad more... mature with all the real life experience that entails but also because, for many of us, we can still tap into the imagination and excitement that BOTP instilled in us when we were quite young.

That is what I was thinking. We are all a little more mature and so have a more realistic handle on life. We have dealt with many of the situations we write about so can put our own feelings and experiences into them, rather than imagining what the characters and real people feel.

That, I think, is what makes a story seem much more likely to happen, and makes me connect or feel an interest in the story.

No new posts 08-04-2011 12:30 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I haven't read that much in other fandoms, so it's really difficult for me to compare. But certainly we're going to be older and more 'experienced' than the average Harry Potter fan!

As for whether or not we doo the best crossovers... I've only tried my hand at one, and it was rather silly. But then, I was in a pretty giggly mood when I came up with it. Wink

No new posts 08-04-2011 14:43 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88What I think might be the hardest fit would be trying to crossover Gatch or BOTP with a fandom based in fantasy/magic. I've already joked about the implausibility of BOTP/LOTR, but I would have an equally hard time trying to imagine a "The Science Ninja Team goes to Hogwarts!" crossover!

Unless, I'm just being too unimaginative here.

Laugh2

No, I don't think you are being unimaginative at all. I've written in the HP fandom and the crossovers there are some of the worst. Usually what happens is the immature writers just drop their favorite characters from other universes into Hogwarts or the more mature writers try to hard with it, but the result is still the same.

It has nothing to do with imagination. With fantasy our "willing suspension of disbelief" is usually stretched to begin with. We use to see how this could be possible in another reality. However, when we take something foreign to the reality and try to blend it often pushes the reader beyond any plausible belief.

The other obstacle faced in the HP world is that it deals with two different worlds Muggle and Magical. The writer has to decide which world to deal with or how to make the visiting characters fit with one or the other. It is a difficult task for even the most talented of writers.

** You know, sometimes I think I spend too much time thinking about this stuff**

No new posts 08-04-2011 16:17 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

Sounds like a challenge to me Samurai1 Poke

I though about doing one with an anima / cartoon meet up,
I had Joe seducing Jessica Rabbit (I think Roger got eaten)
Joe in the Great Race along side muttley,
Jason getting drunk with Trixie and Bitching about Speed,
another one when there was a cartooners strike or there was something in the water and they got their characters mixed up in their shows or they were delived to the wrong stations,
keyop and marine boy,
and one were Gatchaman and justice league met up to fight spectra.
another one were there was a cartoon/ anima union meeting and all had to attend in regards to the new rating on programs eg PG13, R rating, Adults only etc there was a lot of violence in that one and not from Joe and Jason, the meeting ended badly, their was ink and water colour stains everywere

I was having a stange day, so the storys did not get to far and just got filed

but...Harry Potter...keyop and Jinipi would love the animals

No new posts 08-04-2011 18:51 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:

I've written in the HP fandom and the crossovers there are some of the worst. Usually what happens is the immature writers just drop their favorite characters from other universes into Hogwarts

Or drop their favourite characters into the Coral Crescent Base?

I agree, no amount of good writing (assuming it's good) can ever completely overcome a fundamentally unbelievable premise. The only exception, I think, is when the author is being tongue-in-cheek and playing it for laughs.

quote:
** You know, sometimes I think I spend too much time thinking about this stuff**

No, that's the fun part! Laugh2

No new posts 08-04-2011 19:13 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88The only exception, I think, is when the author is being tongue-in-cheek and playing it for laughs.

I agree. Satire or even well-thought out crack fics can be great.

LW, your ideas work great for this type of writing. Next time you are in the mood dust one off and share it with us.

No new posts 08-04-2011 19:29 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
quote:

No, that's the fun part! Laugh2

Sorry I did not get to post to this earlier, but the kiddies needed me and I got distracted.

I was going to say, that is what makes you, or any person, a good writer, thinking about writing and what you like or dislike about an author's writing.

No new posts 08-04-2011 20:28 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: