Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[The Latest News] »Announcements! » Important Site News!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Important Site News!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Important Site News! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hello dear members!

For financial reasons and because the place hasn't seen a major update since 2004 I am in the process of updating our beloved site.

The first important change to note will be a move from our current host to a new host at the beginning of August 2010.

Our current hosts have been great but business is business and I want more bang for my buck (with exceptionally less buck!) so that I can do more things with the site, things that have in part not been possible because of our current host.

So stick it in your diary,

SITE WILL BE CLOSED AS OF 1 AUGUST 2010 FOR UP TO 7 DAYS.

Now some of you may be wondering why a downtime of 7 days? Well one reason is that apart from wanting to make sure the site transfers correctly and any loose ends are tied up, shot and dropped in the ocean I am also in the process of completely changing Gatchamania.net as well.

I am writing a completely custom forum and site for Gatchamania.net. Our current forums are seriously out of date and were originally written for PHP4, the upgrade to PHP5 saw some of the functionality break and the site is technically a mish-mash of hacks and add ons that never supported each other or the original software.

So I have been developing this new site on and off for over a period of 6 months and would like to push ahead with the update.

It is my intention therefore to replace the forums with this new software which will initially lack many of the features we currently have, allowing you to make only the most common actions on a forum (read, post etc).

Now before you start to worry the reason for this is because I want to involve you guys in the development process.

There are an awful lot of features on the current site which are never used or don't work in the ways which you guys would like them to work (the Fic Library for one!) so I want to involve you in helping me to build this site up piece by piece until we have exactly what we want.

Additionally I want to make the site more secure, user friendly and I want to take advantage of newer technology to offer you more.

So get ready for some BIG changes peeps, the change is a coming! Cep

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 16-07-2010 10:16 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

*wibbles* How am I going to get my fix......

Seriously - Cep it was always at the back of my mind, but now you forced it to the front.

You and Katse look after this site and pay the bills. Is there anything that the rest of us can do?

You give us such a wonderful place to play in and I'm sure that you will make it even better!

And now - for those of us in that week who are going through withdrawal symptoms - remember the Facebook Page that SJ setup back in 2008 when the site had a major problem and was down...

*sigh* I'm just going to have to e-mail people, facebook message them and plot and plan over the phone.

I may even have to work on other fics.

*wibbles*

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 16-07-2010 10:55 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Wow, Cep! That is really exciting news! Although I'm sure I'll be suffering from withdrawal during that week, it will be wonderful to see the new changes.

Bless you for all of the hard work and financing that you put into this place! I believe it has become the #1 Gatchaman site because of you! You've made a lot of fans very happy!

Huggles

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 16-07-2010 10:58 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

I am looking forward to the changes, but like the others have said will be suffering the week the site is down and it I do not even have facebook to be able to connect to people in another fashion. * sigh *

Thank you Cep for keeping us updated to what is happening and for doing this for us. I will keep my fingers crossed that the site will only be down for a few days because all goes exceptionally well with the transfer.

No new posts 16-07-2010 11:37 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

Hear hear to all that's been said, Cep!

We don't say it often enough - but all your hard work, the bucks you spend on us - is all very much appreciated!

No new posts 16-07-2010 11:38 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

If people wish to continue posting while the site is down, I'd like to suggest using the BotP Mailing List over on Yahoo! Groups. It's one of the oldest lists for this show, and is fairly well known. Besides, people seeing the activity of people from this list over there might get some of the people on that list to come over here.

SJ's Facebook page is certainly another option, but people like myself who have no Facebook account would be left out.

James

No new posts 16-07-2010 16:31 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

Cep ... you're killing me, dude ...A whole week?!?!

How will I survive? HOW!!

LOL!

Groovy on updating, though. I am looking forward to seeing the new format and your new ideas. It'll be totally worth the wait...

Just make sure we all know how to find the site when you switch it on over.

If there's anything I can do to help out, just LMK ...

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 16-07-2010 16:37 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
RIgirl RIgirl is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-04-2010

spacer

I'm happy about the updating...I think...

I just got used to stuff the way it is, but my real worry here is this...

A whole week?! What on earth am I supposed to do for a whole week?

I could cry at the thought...

(and maybe I do need to admit that I just might be a tiny bit addicted to this as my husband has now started accusing me of being...sigh...a whole week...)

No new posts 16-07-2010 18:32 RIgirl is offline Send an Email to RIgirl Search for Posts by RIgirl Add RIgirl to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Hey, Cep, I hope all goes well! Look forward to seeing the new look.

No new posts 16-07-2010 19:49 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hey, Cep, quick question. Will all the previous posts be transferred over or will they be lost or archived in some way?

No new posts 16-07-2010 21:20 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
condorcandi condorcandi is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-06-2010

spacer

Are we still going to be able to edit posts if we see spelling errors and stuff?

Are the Gatchamaniac/OOC/Sidebar posts going to be in their own section/board?

Green, are you still copying and pasting the IF?

Hollywood is a land of money and cowardice.

-Henry A. Lee, Cracked.com columnist

No new posts 16-07-2010 21:32 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I suspect (hope) things will continue under the same sections as they are now. With perhaps a few of them being removed if Cep is finding some not being used.

Things like the posting of stories may become easier, and maybe there will be a section for all the information James provides as well as where the "character of the week threads" are easier to find.

No new posts 16-07-2010 21:46 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

I second 'character of the week' thread sections. That way, we can consult them for any reason (research, settling bets/arguments, just for fun, etc).

And a section for James's wonderful information about darn near everything Gatch.

Will older posts be archived in some way? I know we've often come up with interesting trivia and ideas in our discussions.

Although this means a change in position on the 'favorites' bar for Gatchamania. Darn it.

No new posts 16-07-2010 22:38 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

Cep- Thanks for the notice and I'm sure the site will be heaps better once the move happens.... You do a great job where would the site be without you and Katse, You're the bones of the place.

No new posts 16-07-2010 23:36 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Will the web address be exactly the the same? Just making sure.

No new posts 16-07-2010 23:48 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Will the web address be exactly the the same? Just making sure.

"Let me draw your birdstyle" should also be easy to access. It's so much fun seeing how it helped birth the IF, and I love looking over the pictures and entries.

No new posts 16-07-2010 23:50 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Assuming the new website is searchable like this one is, I would say the "Let me draw your birdstyle" thread is easily enough found.

As much as I agree it is a great thread, if we were going to list threads we would like to have easy access too, I would have a list before that one. And I am sure others would have differing opinions than mine.

You know the saying, you can't please everyone.

No new posts 17-07-2010 00:05 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Cloud, I couldn't agree more with you! While there are a great many IFs here that are quite fun, the site has so much more to offer. The episode reviews would top my list of posts not to lose because of all the hard work of our reviewers and the great discussions they have spawned. The forums devoted to each show and their incarnations are great places to find information about shows or variations that we've not seen. James's information and artwork shared by member artists or members who run across fanart from outside the site.

No new posts 17-07-2010 00:16 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

You're right, Cloud.

No new posts 17-07-2010 00:17 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

I think keeping the ep reviews are important too Ame. A wealth of information not just for us but for future fans.

No new posts 17-07-2010 00:50 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: