Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »The Book Nook » A Song of Ice & Fire
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page A Song of Ice & Fire
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Zero Shift Zero Shift is a Male
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-05-2004

spacer
A Song of Ice & Fire Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I dunno if anyone is familiar with George R. R. Martin's fantasy saga. I never heard of it either till some friend told me about it. I'm pretty wary of any fantasy books. The only fantasy I've ever read was Lord of The Rings and even with that I feel nerdy as hell.

I like the Song of Ice & Fire series. It's a lot more complex in story and characters than stuff like Lord of The Rings. It's not your simple good vs. evil type. It seems that in the world of A Song of Ice & Fire, that the lines between good and evil are constantly crossed. You can't really think of any of the characters are pure good or pure evil.

The chapters are also each shown from one characters point of view. So, while one chapter will be following this one character, the next chapter could possibly be thousands of miles away from where the last chapter took place. I like it, but sometimes it bothers me 'cause I REALLY wanna find out what happens to a certain character, but first I gotta read through all the other characters. However, that does help in making the book more suspenseful.

I'd recommend it to any fantasy lover out there. Just a word of caution, there's a whole lot of death throughout the books.

You got to lose to know how to win

No new posts 26-07-2004 05:00 Zero Shift is offline Send an Email to Zero Shift Search for Posts by Zero Shift Add Zero Shift to your Buddy List Add Zero Shift to your Contact List AIM Screenname: ChthonianGod
lyon
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-12-2002

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
It's a lot more complex in story and characters than stuff like Lord of The Rings.

all i have to say is .... * cough?!*

No new posts 26-07-2004 05:30 lyon is offline Send an Email to lyon Homepage of lyon Search for Posts by lyon Add lyon to your Buddy List Add lyon to your Contact List YIM Screenname: tuxedo_lyon
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

If you thought that was complex you should read the Silmarillion Big Grin

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 26-07-2004 17:22 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Zero Shift Zero Shift is a Male
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-05-2004

spacer

I have read the Silmarillion though...

You got to lose to know how to win

No new posts 28-07-2004 01:35 Zero Shift is offline Send an Email to Zero Shift Search for Posts by Zero Shift Add Zero Shift to your Buddy List Add Zero Shift to your Contact List AIM Screenname: ChthonianGod
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Don't let Tolkein or Martin represent all Fantasy writers!

Anne MacCaffery's Pern books are actually fantasy. So are a lot of books that claim to be SciFi -- depends on the amount of science involved, and there's no hard and fast definition.

Lackey writes at very different levels in her Valdemar books -- Arrows of the Queen is for teenagers. The Storms trilogy is very complex and touches on a lot of themes.

Bujold MacMaster's Charion series says a lot about religion and sainthood, without preaching.

Harry Potter is fantasy.

Guy Gavrial Kaye is another great author. Plots aren't quite as layered, but they characters are incredibly well done. Very human.

Hubby likes Micheal Moorecock -- very dark and weird.

Silmarillion, which I haven't read, is supposedly more of a history book than a novel.

So, head over to the Fantasy section and grab a handful of authors.

Cricket

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 28-07-2004 02:21 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
lyon
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

sci fi for me would be Niven, Pournelle, Asimov and the like. if it doesnt include hard science, its fantasy no matter how cleverly disguised.

No new posts 28-07-2004 03:23 lyon is offline Send an Email to lyon Homepage of lyon Search for Posts by lyon Add lyon to your Buddy List Add lyon to your Contact List YIM Screenname: tuxedo_lyon
stardust stardust is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-05-2004

spacer

another good sci fi writer is Orson Scott Card. I love his Ender series. He has also done fantasy. But the Ender series is definetly sci fi.

A villain must be a thing of power, handled with delicacy and grace. He must be wicked enough to excite our aversion, strong enough to arouse our fear, human enough to awaken some transient gleam of sympathy. - Agnes Repplier

No new posts 28-07-2004 14:59 stardust is offline Send an Email to stardust Search for Posts by stardust Add stardust to your Buddy List
lyon
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by stardust
another good sci fi writer is Orson Scott Card. I love his Ender series. He has also done fantasy. But the Ender series is definetly sci fi.

grin .. where's the science?

people travel between stars, somehow slipping through a hole in relativity theory .. how? there is instant communication to those traveling ships via the ansible technology ... but how does THAT work, exactly? etc etc ...

sorry stardust, Ender's Game etc are works of fantasy. they're based in scientific worlds (no unicorns or elves here!) but they're not science fiction.

...and if we're talking OSC, anyone read Treason?

No new posts 29-07-2004 01:26 lyon is offline Send an Email to lyon Homepage of lyon Search for Posts by lyon Add lyon to your Buddy List Add lyon to your Contact List YIM Screenname: tuxedo_lyon
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Hard science?

Well, add Heinlein (or at least a lot of his stuff, esp the junior stuff) to the list with Asimov and Pournelle and Niven.

Also Hal Clement -- Mission of Gravity and the sequel, and Ice World. The science is at the core. The enemy is the environment.

Charles Sheffield, although he mixes science with black-box.

Tom Easton. Rajna Varja (spelling?).

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 29-07-2004 18:45 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
stardust stardust is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-05-2004

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lyon
grin .. where's the science?

people travel between stars, somehow slipping through a hole in relativity theory .. how? there is instant communication to those traveling ships via the ansible technology ... but how does THAT work, exactly? etc etc ...

...and if we're talking OSC, anyone read Treason?

Okay Lyon, good point. Big Grin Fantasy it is.

But tell me, what is Treason about.

A villain must be a thing of power, handled with delicacy and grace. He must be wicked enough to excite our aversion, strong enough to arouse our fear, human enough to awaken some transient gleam of sympathy. - Agnes Repplier

No new posts 30-07-2004 14:03 stardust is offline Send an Email to stardust Search for Posts by stardust Add stardust to your Buddy List
veritas veritas is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 20-10-2008

spacer

just digging this thread up say how much I love these books, even if I suspect they will never be finished.... and..how much I'm looking fwds to HBO's adaptation next year, it looks promising.

No new posts 07-07-2010 19:37 veritas is offline Send an Email to veritas Search for Posts by veritas Add veritas to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

HBO's doing it? That could be well worth seeing! I loved the first 3 books, but I confess that "A Feast for Crows" didn't do so much for me -my favourite character, Tyrian, wasn't in it at all -which annoyed me- and so many years had gone by since book 3, I had forgotten a lot of the plot (and I didn't have the time to re-read books 1-3 again to get it all straight), even though book 3 had certainly weeded out a number of characters!

No new posts 07-07-2010 21:27 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
condorcandi condorcandi is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-06-2010

spacer

Arthur C. Clarke had some 'rules' about the magic/science subjects. The overlap is why I have no problem having both magic and superscience in the original fiction I write -or anyone's else's

Arthur C. Clarke formulated the following three "laws" of prediction:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Hollywood is a land of money and cowardice.

-Henry A. Lee, Cracked.com columnist

No new posts 08-07-2010 00:02 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
veritas veritas is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 20-10-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
HBO's doing it? That could be well worth seeing! I loved the first 3 books, but I confess that "A Feast for Crows" didn't do so much for me -my favourite character, Tyrian, wasn't in it at all -which annoyed me- and so many years had gone by since book 3, I had forgotten a lot of the plot (and I didn't have the time to re-read books 1-3 again to get it all straight), even though book 3 had certainly weeded out a number of characters!

I felt the same about AFFC and HBO going it, Ive liked quite a bit of what we get to see by HBO over here.

This blog is good and it has the very short trailer released so far.... trailer

No new posts 11-07-2010 19:02 veritas is offline Send an Email to veritas Search for Posts by veritas Add veritas to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

I see that Sean Bean is playing Eddard Stark! I've always liked him.

Too bad the trailer's not longer, but what's there looks good.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 12-07-2010 at 13:53.
No new posts 12-07-2010 13:53 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: