Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman » Essential episodes
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Essential episodes
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
veritas veritas is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 20-10-2008

spacer
Essential episodes Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I suppose this is similar to the faves thread, but its not exactly the same.

This last weekend a group of geeks, I mean a few friends and I gathered for a classic Dr who weekend, and much fun was had watching a story from each of the first five Dr's.

On Sunday morning, planning for the next geek weekend was made and it was suggested, not by me I may add, that we do a BOTP / Gatchaman weekend.

Now, the group mix will be

-BOTP / Gatcha what?
-Oh I remember that from years ago
-Oh yeah Gatchaman is cool
-me , being the biggest Gatchageek in the gang.

With this in mind what episodes would you, the experts, consider essential viewing for such a mix of gatcha-knowledge. The episodes that encapsulate the story with out having to watch 105 episodes.

Is there a gatch drinking game or do we need to devise one?

Take a drink every time joe wants to blow things up

Party3

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by veritas on 19-02-2009 at 15:29.
No new posts 19-02-2009 15:28 veritas is offline Send an Email to veritas Search for Posts by veritas Add veritas to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Oppps

Speak no evil Hear no evil See no evil

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 19-02-2009 at 15:34.
No new posts 19-02-2009 15:32 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Gatch drinking game ..... I remember seeing one posted over at Gatchamania or Wendy's site. Let's see...

Yes here is a link I hope it works:

Drinking Game

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 19-02-2009 at 15:34.
No new posts 19-02-2009 15:33 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
With this in mind what episodes would you, the experts, consider essential viewing for such a mix of gatcha-knowledge. The episodes that encapsulate the story with out having to watch 105 episodes.

The easiest way, though not necessarily the best way, would be the Gatchaman movie, which condenses the stories from episode #'s 1, 51~53, and 103~105 into just under 2 hours.

But, if you want to stick with the episodes themselves, you'll have to let us know how many episodes we need to choose. Is your group going to watch only 2 or 3 episodes, or are they going to do an all-day marathon? Do you need/want a mix from any particular versions of the different series, or do you want to stick with a single version? Let us know what kind of criteria we need to fill, then we can be of more help.

James

No new posts 19-02-2009 19:37 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
Gatch drinking game ..... I remember seeing one posted over at Gatchamania or Wendy's site. Let's see...

Yes here is a link I hope it works:

Drinking Game

Wow... you could get some serious drinking done Laugh2

No new posts 19-02-2009 20:06 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

If I wanted to watch Gatchaman, but didn't have time to watch all 105 episodes, which ones would I pick...

1 & 2: Gatchman vs. the Turtle King, The Evil Ghostly Aircraft Carrier (since they're the first eps and they introduce everyone).

3: The Giant Mummy that Calls Storms (since Ken talks about his father)

5: Ghost Fleet from Hell (first time we see Red Impulse)

8: The Secret of Crescent Coral (the building of their secret base)

12: The Giant Eating Monster Ibukuron (funny)

18: Revenge: The Whale Operation (Joe reveals some background info)

20: A Critical Moment for the Science Ninja Team (the infamous puppy episode -not to be missed!)

27: Gallactor's Witch Racer (lots of Joe -plus his first "doomed" love interest)

31: The Plot to Assasinate Dr. Nambu (has lots of Joe, another doomed love interest, Devil Stars, and the Female Commander)

32 & 33: Grand Gezora Operation, parts 1 & 2 (two parts means a bigger story, and more of the Female Commander)

39 & 40: Jigokillers, parts 1 & 2 (really good, angsty episodes)

50: Trachodon, the Dinosaur Skeleton (this one just amuses the hell out of me)

51, 52, 53 and 54: (the climax of the whole Ken & Red Impulse arc, and the aftermath)

56: The Bitter Bird Missile (an angsty ep with background on Jun, and Koji)

66: Devil's Fashion Show (too cheesy to be missed, and has Devil Stars)

70: Unite Death Girls (another doomed love interest for Joe)

71: The Immortal Governor X (funny, and the team sees Leader X for the first time)

73: Get Katse (an interesting story, and a bit of a Ken/Joe/Ryu character study)

74: Secret of the Birdstyles (shows how Galactor begins to learn how the teams' birdstyles work)

76: The Bracelets Exposed (shows the megaziner ray for the first time, features the two surviving Red Impulse team members)

78: Mortal Combat 10000 Meters Under the Sea (lots of Joe, and a big revelation about him)

81: Duel on Gallactor Island (Joe, background on Joe, lots of angst)

85: That Guy is G4 (funny)

88: Iron Beast Snake 828 (clues about Berg Katse)

90: Armored Iron Beast Metangar (interesting team interactions)

91 & 92: (the Crescent Base gets destroyed)

93: Counterattack, Underground Torpedo Operation (the team rallies after the loss of their base -a good ep)

98, 99, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105: (Joe's illness, and the final conclusion)

Okay, I weeded it down from 105 to about 40, and I admit my picks are shamelessly Joe-centric, or based on what I personally found most entertaining or funny. I could so easily add many more episodes to this list too -it's hard to weed them down and I'm probably overlooking some of my favourites here! (and I wish I could remember which episode first shows Leader X, but I can't)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 19-02-2009 at 22:31.
No new posts 19-02-2009 22:29 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

Personally, I would stick with Gatch, since there's so much more plot/character development in that series. And maybe throw in a BoTP ep or 2 in for the nostalgia factor....

Hmm, tough call on which eps, though... Definitely eps 1 & 2 (for the newbie and the "hey, I think I kinda remember watching something like this way back when!" crowd), just because it lays out the plot and introduces everyone/thing. Ep 5 (Ghost Fleet from Hell) due to RI; Ep 8 (Secret of the Crescent Coral Base) due to the Crescent Coral explaination; Eps 39 and 40 (Jigokillers), though for the love of everything Gatch, please show them the subbed version of ep 39. Or at least the last 30 seconds or so. Ken screaming "Galactor!" in the dub just takes everything away from that ep!!!!

Oh, I don't remember which ep it is, but you have to show the one where the team is captured and Ken and RI come in and save them (team is individually chained to a wall). My favorite line of the whole series is in that ep... Ken and RI come in and start cracking Goon skulls. Joe's itching to be part of the action and yells out: "Come on, Ken! I want to look cool too!" ROFL 2

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 19-02-2009 23:07 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

I love that line too Hino!!! Its like the Condor has his nose put of joint because he's not in the spotlight.

No new posts 19-02-2009 23:10 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I think we could cram in quite a lot, the usual format is for every one to come over after work on fridays and wander back home on sunday.

My plan was to stick to the original series, but perhaps throw in a couple of BOTP episodes for nostalgia and comparison.

Thats a good list Iborgia, nothing wrong with being Joe centric, I think they're expecting that.

No new posts 20-02-2009 10:14 veritas is offline Send an Email to veritas Search for Posts by veritas Add veritas to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

Said like a tru Condor Veritas LOL

The Eagle can be just as centric and angsty. Between the pair of them they have angst down pat don't ya think.

No new posts 20-02-2009 11:02 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I love your list, LB! You have all of my favorite eps on there!

No new posts 20-02-2009 16:35 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

Other episodes you might consider including would be:

#4 - Revenge on the Iron Monster Mechadegon (First use of Bird Missile)
#11 - The Mysterious Red Impulse (Emphasis on Red Impulse)
#17 - The Grand Insect Operation (Good story)
#18 - Revenge! The Whale Operation (Background on Joe)
#21 - Who is Governor X (Emphasis on Governor X)
#22 - The Firebird Versus the Fire-Eating Dragon (Good Story)
#24 - A Neon Giant Laughing in the Dark (First appearance of Black Birds)
#26 - The God Phoenix Reborn (Background on Ryu)
#29 - Gallack X, the Demon Man (First appearance of the Lady Captain)
#35 - Fires of the Blazing Desert (Good story)
#37 - Renjira, the Electron Iron Beast (Good story)
#44 - The Challenge of Gallactor (Emphasis on Red Impulse)
#45 - The Sea Lion Ninja Team of the Night Fog (Good story)
#46 - Gatchaman in the Valley of Death (Good story)
#57 - The Evil White Sea (First suggestion of new weapons)
#58 - Hell's Mecha-Buttha (First appearance of Firebird - Shadow Separation)
#61 - The Ghost of Red Impulse (Follow-up on Ken/Red Impulse storyline)
#67 - Mortal Blow! Gatchaman Fire (First appearance of new weapons)
#68 - Particle Iron Beast Micro-Saturn (Good story)
#69 - A Cemetery in the Moonlight (Emphasis on Jinpei)
#75 - The Ocean Devil, Jumbo Shakora (Emphasis on Ryu's family)
#79 - Stealing Gatchaman Information (Good story)
#82 - Aim for the Crescent Coral Reef! (First attempt to destroy Crescent Coral Reef)
#89 - A Trap Sprung in the Crescent Base (Second attempt to destroy Crescent Coral Reef)
#94 - Electric Devil Beast Angler (Emphasis on Ryu's family)
#95 - The United Ninja Great Demon Man (Background on Jinpei)
#97 - Leona 3, the Spaceship With No Tomorrow (Good episode)

James

No new posts 21-02-2009 01:01 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

cripes, another great list..

PLan B- pull episode titles out of a hat on the day .

I'm going to play around with both lists and try to come up with something. Ive sent the game rules off so every one can familairise themselves and am just waiting to hear dates that everyone can make it.

Looking fwds to it, we usually have a good laugh.

No new posts 21-02-2009 15:34 veritas is offline Send an Email to veritas Search for Posts by veritas Add veritas to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Well you really can't go wrong. Just about every episode has something good about it, whether it's a good scene or just some funny lines or a completely absurd mecha captain etc.

No new posts 22-02-2009 17:43 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

Those are some good lists. I agree, I don't think you're going to be disappointed with which ever episode you happen to watch.

No new posts 23-02-2009 04:13 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

With the exception of making sure that Jigokillers, parts 1 & 2 are in it, I like the idea of pulling episodes from a hat. Just make sure that the other 2 part ones are shown together.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 01-03-2009 02:10 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

Watching Gatch all day with your friends? Sounds like a great day to me! I wish my friends could do that--they are all so busy with their famiilies and jobs that they just can't find the time.

No new posts 01-03-2009 16:19 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ahh but geeks of what ever anorak will find the time. We are trying to find a weekend when theres not a convention / re-enactment / real life getting in the way.

No new posts 05-03-2009 08:38 veritas is offline Send an Email to veritas Search for Posts by veritas Add veritas to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

veritas, it sounds like your friends are a real treat to hang with.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 06-03-2009 03:18 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

They are bless. We all work, dont have kids (so far), like our costuming and are geeks of many anoraks. Who does it hurt if like to get together once in a while to have a few drinks and be fangirls and boys. We all seem to have partnered up with people who , if arent as enthused as us, are understanding.

No new posts 06-03-2009 10:05 veritas is offline Send an Email to veritas Search for Posts by veritas Add veritas to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: