Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »The Book Nook » Andre Norton
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Andre Norton
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Same here!!!

No new posts 12-09-2008 04:40 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
gogirl212 gogirl212 is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-07-2008

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Then Ebony, you must know how difficult it is for me to not get out one of those pokey sticks and start prodding you for the next part of your story!!! I will live in misery with them until there is an ending!

No new posts 12-09-2008 06:02 gogirl212 is offline Send an Email to gogirl212 Search for Posts by gogirl212 Add gogirl212 to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: terrihasacat
saturn saturn is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

Registration Date: 21-05-2008

spacer

Same thing here, GoGirl! Can't wait for the next part of your fantastic series, Ebony! Please spare us from this torture, Crying1

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by saturn on 12-09-2008 at 09:02.
No new posts 12-09-2008 09:02 saturn is offline Send an Email to saturn Search for Posts by saturn Add saturn to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Awe thanks girls Blushing

I'm writing it, and it has a detailed plot that is conclusive. I've been busy with my daughter who is 17months old and doesn't like it when mum's on the computer to much. She's become very clingy.

I take it as a compliment that you like the story so far. TJ is beta-ing it but she hasn't got back to me about what I have sent her so far.

I warn you though, its about as long as the last story!

No new posts 12-09-2008 12:08 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne

I warn you though, its about as long as the last story!

Length is never a problem! (unless I'm the one writing)

I remember when my nephew was about your daughter's age -whenever I was looking after him, he required all my attention, and I had to keep after him to see what he might be trying to climb/eat/feed to the dog/open/destroy...

I have nothing but admiration for all mothers, who do it every day!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 12-09-2008 at 12:27.
No new posts 12-09-2008 12:23 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Reboekah
Could have been the wrong place and wrong time, but I don't think I ever finished the book (which is terribly odd for me...)
bolt

-Boeke

It's odd for me too, but it has happened. Sometimes it was yet another fantasy tale of a young person who discovers they have a special destiny and goes on a quest with their wise old mentor and a love interest with whom they bicker, while the forces of evil pursue them, and I just ceased to care...

Or it was George R R Martin's A Feast for Crows, which finally came out eons (or what seemed like eons) after the previous book in the series, and I couldn't remember most of what had happened previously and I was in grad school and didn't have time to re-read three long novels to refresh my memory, and for some strange reason, the one character that I did remember well (who wasn't, like most characters, killed off in the previous book) wasn't featured in the book at all, and no one else grabbed my attention -let's just say I skimmed to such a degree that I skipped whole chapters.

No new posts 13-09-2008 02:35 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Master Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

lb - you mean there are fantasy stories that AREN'T about a young person discovering his or her special destiny and going on a quest with their wise old mentor and a love interest with whom they bicker while the forces of evil pursue them??

ITA about sometimes getting into a Hero's Journey Fantasy Rut - I tend to just stop reading for a while. I am not so freaky that if I read part 1 of really dull trilogy I don't force myself into the other two books just to finish.

There are always exceptions though - I started reading His Dark Marterials by Philip Pullman - The Golden Compass is the first book in that series - and it is gleefully a creative and inventive variation on the theme. The movie intrigued me enough to read the book.

No new posts 13-09-2008 21:00 gogirl212 is offline Send an Email to gogirl212 Search for Posts by gogirl212 Add gogirl212 to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: terrihasacat
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gogirl212

There are always exceptions though - I started reading His Dark Marterials by Philip Pullman - The Golden Compass is the first book in that series - and it is gleefully a creative and inventive variation on the theme. The movie intrigued me enough to read the book.

I've read Pullman's trilogy, more than once, and liked it a lot -big ideas there, but also some complex, interesting characters and some twists I didn't see coming.

Some other, relatively recent, fantasy favourites of mine, off the top of my head are Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series (imagine medieval Europe except the religion wants you to have lots of sex, any way you like), Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series (very funny, totally plays on "classic" English literature), Megan Whalen Turner's series (Thief, Queen of Attolia, King of Attolia, technically YA but good, esp. the last two).

Oh, and anything by Guy Gavriel Kay (esp. Tigana)

No new posts 13-09-2008 22:04 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
lb - you mean there are fantasy stories that AREN'T about a young person discovering his or her special destiny and going on a quest with their wise old mentor and a love interest with whom they bicker while the forces of evil pursue them??

Have read The Assassin's Apprentice... Farseer trilogy (Robin Hobb)
It even has an unpredictable angsty ending...

Blushing My original story(Fantasy genre) doesn't have the young person going on quest because she discovered a special destiny with the love interest that she bickers with, not really my style since I've read lots of books like that...(Not to say there isn't a destiny and there isn't a love interest just not in the way you'd think, everything is not as it appears to be...) but you may never see that one...

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 04-02-2009 at 09:46.
No new posts 04-02-2009 09:41 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I have been recommend robin hobb but not managed to work my way there yet. i will need to get it to the top of my summer reading list - immediately after YOUR story . . . it sounds intriguing! when do I get to read that?

No new posts 04-02-2009 14:20 gogirl212 is offline Send an Email to gogirl212 Search for Posts by gogirl212 Add gogirl212 to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: terrihasacat
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

hhahhaaaa....

Its one of those things... I'm not as shy about my fanfic but when it comes to writing outside of it (Like original fantasy) I've found I'm very shy. I started writing it in March last year. I've got about 80,000 words written so far. Its just an idea i had, but I like my characters...

Its about prospective, thats sometimes we think something is obvious but really...its not what we thought. Not everything is what it always seems in life to be in how we view it... Smile

I don't know why i felt the inclination to even mention it here it was just the line about the mentor i think....

No new posts 05-02-2009 02:27 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh Ebony, you are such a talented writer and I enjoy your fics so much I can just imagine that your original writing is equally compelling. I like your idea about shifting perspective and point of view giving unexpected outcomes to a story. Very intriguing.

But I will also say, after my first little baby steps into fic writing, I can see what you mean about being shy to put original work out there. A daunting idea at the very least. But if you ever do chose to share it, I am certain there is a flock of swans ready to embrace it. Huggles

No new posts 05-02-2009 05:35 gogirl212 is offline Send an Email to gogirl212 Search for Posts by gogirl212 Add gogirl212 to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: terrihasacat
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm still working on it when i get a chance. From first drafting I've change it to work better. When I decide to put it out into the real world i think I'll learn fast what others think of my stories and writing. that can be nerve racking But I have to finish the story first. no point worrying about that kinda thing when its not even done yet.

No new posts 06-02-2009 00:42 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

quote:
But if you ever do chose to share it, I am certain there is a flock of swans ready to embrace it. Huggles

And Eagles too!! Pleased

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 08-02-2009 13:37 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Hinotori
quote:
But if you ever do chose to share it, I am certain there is a flock of swans ready to embrace it. Huggles

And Eagles too!! Pleased

Along with some Condors. Elfgrin1

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 08-02-2009 19:52 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: