Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »The Book Nook » Neuromancer
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: What do you think about cyberpunk genre?
It's a perfect sample of good science fiction. vote leftpercentvote right 4 66.67%
It's truly a writing wonder to behold! vote leftpercentvote right 2 33.33%
I don't think it's too impressive. vote leftpercentvote right 0 0.00%
It's too dark and gloomy for me! vote leftpercentvote right 0 0.00%
I hate computers and anything associated with it! vote leftpercentvote right 0 0.00%
Total: 6 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Neuromancer
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr. Sinc [de Alter] Dr. Sinc [de Alter] is a Male
Former Lurker

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-05-2008

spacer
Neuromancer Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Greetings, Ladies and Gentlemen!

You wake up in a cramped dirty room, its ceiling weighing upon your aching head, dusty carpets covered with spots of colophony and oil. You can't remember what happened to you the day before - just a couple of sharp flashes of dull pain bolts punching your shivering mind to the corners of your skull; you just remember bringing a couple of soft modules in dark plastic among with set of beer cans, papers with drugs in it, thick books on ancient programming languages... You stand up from the floor, scanning the mess of your lair - the terminal in the corner is still hot, a set of trodes scattered throughout the floor. Suddenly, you feel that all too familiar sensation in the corners of your consiouness - the predictory, the excuse of danger unfolding behind your back. That ICE nearly fried you. You pick up your belongings and rush out to the crowded city, cold autumn wind blowing your bare brain through those damned plugs implanted onto your neck, gripping your treasure - the cyberspace connection unit - with your atrificial arms; you know that soon they will be there, searching for you. You run, and you know you can't hide from the System; you may go to the orbit, but you have no credits to do this; you're doomed... Realising that there is no other choice, you sit in the dark corner of the street, plugging the cyber interface to the public communications, put the trodes on and dive into the endless gemoetric chaos of the Matrix - your native land, the world where you're invincible...

William Gibson was a genius of his generation; a tired romantic who got disappointed with this world feeding on money flows, who took the idea of computer revolution and turned it into grotesque nightmare of a dark doomed world, where only a person with a free spirit and sharp mind could survive. The hymn for the Information, his "Neuromancer" trilogy - "Neuromancer", "Count Zero" and "Mona Lisa Overdrive" - is something that every computer-loving freak like me should know.

I'm just curious - what do you think about the cyberpunk genre at all and about Gibson's works?

--
Dr. Sinc

Soon this world will be mine! --Evil Genius's Prayer

No new posts 22-05-2008 18:25 Dr. Sinc [de Alter] is offline Send an Email to Dr. Sinc [de Alter] Search for Posts by Dr. Sinc [de Alter] Add Dr. Sinc [de Alter] to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I read and enjoyed Neuromancer, a very long time ago, but for some reason didn't read anything else by Gibson, and I confess that after two decades, I don't remember it so well. I guess my tastes run more to fantasy and historical than very tech-oriented sci fi. More recently, however, I've read a couple "cyberpunk" books in my boyfriend's collection by Neal Stephenson (Diamond Age, and Snow Crash) and I liked them.

No new posts 22-05-2008 18:57 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I bought this book a long while back. Never could get totally into it, not sure why.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 23-05-2008 18:37 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: